News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Last Exit in New York, Leaving state signs and other unusual warning signs

Started by A00234826, May 18, 2014, 09:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 10, 2014, 05:20:28 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 25, 2014, 11:16:55 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on May 25, 2014, 08:40:25 PM
Somewhat off-topic, but back when I had to go to DC all the time I would ride get around town on the Metro.  They generally would announce "Last Exit in (Maryland, Virginia, the district) " .  I don't know why anyone would care.

Perhaps because the fare would jump (sometimes somewhat abruptly) by crossing that line. 

Traditionally, Metrorail fares got the most subsidy in the District of Columbia, less in Maryland and even less in Virginia. 
Wow, that makes me glad I've never used Washington Metro. On the New York City Subways, it's one fare throughout the city. No new rates when you want go from Manhattan to the Bronx or Brooklyn, or Queens and vice-versa. Fare zones are for commuter railroads.

But getting back to the original topic, you've got signs like these when you leave Brooklyn:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/avishai/331254411/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/12055231814/

And I'm sure the modern-day WELCOME to Brooklyn signs are far superior to the two versions seen back in the "Welcome Back, Kotter" days???

D-Dey65

Quote from: thenetwork on June 10, 2014, 07:14:37 PM
And I'm sure the modern-day WELCOME to Brooklyn signs are far superior to the two versions seen back in the "Welcome Back, Kotter" days???
You mean claiming themselves to be the "4th Largest City in America?"

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/dont-look-back-brooklyn-houston-is-gaining-on-you/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Man, I still love that SNL parody from 1994:
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/94/94ckotter.phtml

sandiaman

The situation on the Mexican border at Tijuana, with the US Marine "accidentally" ending up in Mexico, is fairly common on I -10 in El Paso.  There is long, complex interchange (used  to be the largest overpass in Texas), where traffic exits at Juarez/ Alamogordo and then splits again  with one lane going to Juarez the  other on US 54  to Alamogordo.  It is an easy mistake  to make if you aren't familiar  with  the area.  Even if you have a single bullet  in  your car and you make the mistake of telling  the Mexican customs agent about  it, it's hasta la vista  for five  years in jail.

oscar

Not quite fitting this thread (warning signs for leaving ___), but there's the unwelcome signs on the mule trail from Maui County to Kalawao County HI, warning you to turn back unless you have state permission to enter Kalawao County.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadman

Quote from: sandiaman on June 18, 2014, 02:41:40 PM
The situation on the Mexican border at Tijuana, with the US Marine "accidentally" ending up in Mexico, is fairly common on I -10 in El Paso.  There is long, complex interchange (used  to be the largest overpass in Texas), where traffic exits at Juarez/ Alamogordo and then splits again  with one lane going to Juarez the  other on US 54  to Alamogordo.  It is an easy mistake  to make if you aren't familiar  with  the area.  Even if you have a single bullet  in  your car and you make the mistake of telling  the Mexican customs agent about  it, it's hasta la vista  for five  years in jail.
I remember when they added the 'NO GUNS" signs to the BGSes on I-10.  For some reason (slow news day?), it made the local news's "national" coverage here in Boston.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on June 18, 2014, 05:53:51 PMI remember when they added the 'NO GUNS" signs to the BGSes on I-10.  For some reason (slow news day?), it made the local news's "national" coverage here in Boston.
Was it back when every road & highway heading into Massachusetts had a MASSACHUSETTS GUN LAW sign posted just inside the border?  Along smaller roads, these signs were actually larger than the accompanying WELCOME TO MASSACHUSETTS signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

The Massachusetts Gun Law signs were installed in the mid-1970s, and predated the I-10 "No Guns" signs by at least a decade.  At one point, the Massachusetts gun law signs were one of a series of eight or nine "Don't do this in our state" signs one was faced with reading between the state border and the Welcome to Massachusetts/Massachusetts Welcomes You" signs, at least on the Interstates and freeways.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

shadyjay

Quote from: roadman on June 20, 2014, 11:59:38 AM
The Massachusetts Gun Law signs were installed in the mid-1970s, and predated the I-10 "No Guns" signs by at least a decade.  At one point, the Massachusetts gun law signs were one of a series of eight or nine "Don't do this in our state" signs one was faced with reading between the state border and the Welcome to Massachusetts/Massachusetts Welcomes You" signs, at least on the Interstates and freeways.

Found an old Summa shot of a Gun Law sign on the Mass Pike at the NY line, black on white, which reads:

"New Massachusetts Gun Law / Violation Mandatory One Year Jail Sentence"

1995hoo

I can't find any pictures of it, but maybe someone else can. During Jim Gilmore's term as governor (January 1998 to January 2002), Virginia participated in a federal gun-control effort called "Project Exile" and posted big signs near the state lines reading something like, "Illegal gun? EXILE" with "EXILE" in huge letters. As PHLBOS mentions, these were bigger than the "Welcome" signs, though I recall they weren't always immediately adjacent to each other. The one I saw most often was on I-395 near the Pentagon because I passed it every evening on the way home from work. Mark Warner had the signs removed after succeeding Gilmore as governor; the reason he gave was, if I recall correctly, "they are unwelcoming."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

I'm pretty sure that I sign with the word "EXILE" in huge letters with the intent to keep illegal guns out isn't meant to be welcoming.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Virginia is known for telling you what not to do for several signs before welcoming you, usually larger and easier to read than the Welcome sign as well.

_Simon

Quote from: roadman65 on May 18, 2014, 11:01:45 PM
Both of these methods are either used, but not both, though.  I-78 at Exit 3 has last NJ exit on it, because you are still several miles from the actual state border

The BGS's at exit 3 say Last Exit in NJ, but there used to also be a BYS right around 1/4 mile from the exit that just said "LAST EXIT BEFORE TOLL BRIDGE".  This sign, i'm pretty sure, is since gone.

The Nature Boy

There's a sign at the NH/MA border on I-93 that says "Drive Courteously: It's the New Hampshire Way" that I assume is a not so subtle shot at MA drivers.

hotdogPi

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 10, 2014, 07:57:34 PM
There's a sign at the NH/MA border on I-93 that says "Drive Courteously: It's the New Hampshire Way" that I assume is a not so subtle shot at MA drivers.

There is? I go that way about once every 3 weeks, and I have never seen it.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

The Nature Boy

Quote from: 1 on July 10, 2014, 09:22:30 PM

If I recall correctly, it's a mile or so into NH. I'm almost certain that it's before Exit 1 though.

Of course, I've only driven up I-93 from Boston into NH once since 2012 so it's possible that it was removed when they redid the state welcome signs. I certainly hope not though, it was good for a chuckle when I'd drive back up from Boston.

cl94

I-190 just south of Niagara Falls has "Last Exit on Island" signs. I also know that the ends of quite a few Long Island parkways and expressways have signs saying "Last Exit", even if all traffic is forced off at that point.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 10, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

If I recall correctly, it's a mile or so into NH. I'm almost certain that it's before Exit 1 though.

The sign in question was located between Exits 1 and 2.  The last time I went up that way (July 1st), I noticed the sign had been removed to accommodate construction work related to the widening and the Exit 2 rebuild.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: roadman on July 11, 2014, 09:10:29 AM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 10, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

The sign in question was located between Exits 1 and 2.  The last time I went up that way (July 1st), I noticed the sign had been removed to accommodate construction work related to the widening and the Exit 2 rebuild.

I guess they figured that if you're continuing past Exit 1 then you must actually be visiting New Hampshire and not just showing up to take advantage of tax-free shopping. I'm surprised a similar sign hasn't been erected at the beginning of the Everett Turnpike in Nashua.

roadman

QuoteI guess they figured that if you're continuing past Exit 1 then you must actually be visiting New Hampshire and not just showing up to take advantage of tax-free shopping. I'm surprised a similar sign hasn't been erected at the beginning of the Everett Turnpike in Nashua.

I always figured the sign was located between Exits 1 and 2 because, at the time the sign was installed, I-93 was two lanes through that section.  Thus, the sign would be much more noticeable to drivers than if it were placed south of Exit 1, which is five lanes wide at one point.

This couls also explain why a similar sign never appeared on the Everett Turnpike in Nashua.

Pete from Boston

I'm far more amused by the blue "COMMON SENSE FOR ALL" tab on the speed limit signs there.  I'm glad the state of New Hampshire is so inclusive with regard to who it wishes common sense for.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 11, 2014, 01:48:55 PM

I'm far more amused by the blue "COMMON SENSE FOR ALL" tab on the speed limit signs there.  I'm glad the state of New Hampshire is so inclusive with regard to who it wishes common sense for.
The "COMMON SENSE FOR ALL" tabs are mounted beneath the child restraint law signs, not the speed limit signs.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on July 11, 2014, 01:53:06 PM

The "COMMON SENSE FOR ALL" tabs are mounted beneath the child restraint law signs, not the speed limit signs.

My mistake.  It's still nice of them to wish us.

The Nature Boy

I always assumed that that was the NH DOT's way of saying, "our state legislators have decided that they aren't going to force you to wear a seat belt, but you're an idiot if you don't."

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 11, 2014, 02:35:59 PM

I always assumed that that was the NH DOT's way of saying, "our state legislators have decided that they aren't going to force you to wear a seat belt, but you're an idiot if you don't."

It reads like it's spoken by the alien lizard Kodos morphed into the form of presidential candidate Bob Dole.

hbelkins

How can NH afford to lose the federal funds that they don't get because they haven't enacted a seat belt law?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.