News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Scheme Z rendering?

Started by 1995hoo, October 31, 2014, 12:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Wondering whether anyone has a diagram or rendering of what "Scheme Z" in Boston would have looked like. I'm striking out with Google searches.

Thanks in advance.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

J Route Z

That's from 1990

NE2

First image search result: http://nexus.umn.edu/courses/cases/ce5212/f2002/cs5/schemez.gif
It's not all that different from what was built, but with a few less ramps. The ramp from US 1 south to I-93 north did exist for a while, but IIRC would have had to be replaced anyway due to the onramp from downtown.

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

The first image search result I got was a Nintendo video game controller. I searched for scheme z big dig rendering (no quotation marks). "Big Dig" was in there to try to narrow the search a bit.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2014, 12:52:10 PM
Quotes are good.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22scheme+z%22+%22big+dig%22&tbm=isch

None of that stuff looks all that appalling. I was under the impression Scheme Z, as originally announced, was going to be some sort of monstrosity towering over the area with a number of very bizarre maneuvers (I seem to recall something about certain maneuvers requiring crossing the river twice), and then the proposal for the Bill Buckner Bridge they ultimately built allowed them to scale it back big-time. But I simply don't remember the details well enough to refine a search to try to narrow it down to weed out the pictures and diagrams of what was actually built.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 31, 2014, 12:54:29 PM
I seem to recall something about certain maneuvers requiring crossing the river twice
If you look closely, there are diagonal northwest-southeast ramps at the north end of the Storrow Drive connector bridge. Traffic from Storrow to I-93 south and I-93 north to Storrow would have crossed the river twice and used these. Instead two tunnels were built, staying on the south side of the river.

1995hoo

Thanks. Too small to see on this screen, so I'll take your word for it.

2Co5_14

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 31, 2014, 12:54:29 PM
None of that stuff looks all that appalling. I was under the impression Scheme Z, as originally announced, was going to be some sort of monstrosity towering over the area with a number of very bizarre maneuvers (I seem to recall something about certain maneuvers requiring crossing the river twice), and then the proposal for the Bill Buckner Bridge they ultimately built allowed them to scale it back big-time. But I simply don't remember the details well enough to refine a search to try to narrow it down to weed out the pictures and diagrams of what was actually built.

I might have some artist renderings taken from the supplemental FEIS that came out in the early '90's that show some of the river crossing alternatives. (I'm not sure where they are, so it may take some time to find them.)  From what I remember, Scheme Z did look like a monstrosity when viewed from ground level!

roadman

Quote from: NE2 on October 31, 2014, 12:37:37 PM
First image search result: http://nexus.umn.edu/courses/cases/ce5212/f2002/cs5/schemez.gif
It's not all that different from what was built, but with a few less ramps. The ramp from US 1 south to I-93 north did exist for a while, but IIRC would have had to be replaced anyway due to the onramp from downtown.

What the rendering fails to show is that the proposed Scheme Z ramps would be multi-level, with weave connections between most of the ramps that weren't much longer than the old I-93/Tobin Bridge/Storrow Drive/elevated Central Artery connection next to North Station.

It's a good thing it was never built.  Aesthetically, it would have been hideous.  But from a traffic standpoint, it would have been a total disaster.

And the importance of the ramp to I-93 north that was initially built but eventually demolished was not to accommodate traffic coming off the Tobin Bridge, but for traffic wishing to access I-93 north from the local street network.  To me, eliminating that connection represents one of the major failings of the entire project.  Now that traffic has to go up Rutherford and Mystic Avenues into Somerville to get onto I-93 north.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

I want to see Schemes A through Y.  I recall seeing some of them back in the Big Dig days, but they don't readily turn up online.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.