Road-Geeky Things Of The Past That You Miss...

Started by thenetwork, February 28, 2024, 02:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: GaryV on April 29, 2024, 02:22:39 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 29, 2024, 10:26:50 AMSmall, compact versions of games

Sometimes magnetic so you didn't lose pieces.

I seem to recall we had a Scrabble game that was not magnetic but instead used some sort of plastic such that the letters stuck to the board but were easily removable when the game was over. That was useful when we passed the board around (my mom, sitting in the front passenger seat, always played).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

RobbieL2415

MassHighway's Project CLEAN.

You could call *321 where you saw trash on the side of a surface road or freeway and they would come out an clean it.

thenetwork

Howard Johnsons at every service plaza along the Ohio Turnpike...

...and just off of damn near every exit off the Turnpike as well (at least between Toledo and Youngstown)!!!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thenetwork on April 30, 2024, 09:38:21 PMHoward Johnsons at every service plaza along the Ohio Turnpike...

...and just off of damn near every exit off the Turnpike as well (at least between Toledo and Youngstown)!!!

The NJ Turnpike was mostly HJs as well. The evidence they left behind includes street names leading to the rear of the plazas for employees and deliveries.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9NCAJRLuUWkUfYW66

Quillz

At some point, California switched the green that it used on BGS. The "old" green was considerably darker, while the new green is much brighter. I think the change was made when button copy became obsolete, as I've never seen the newer green in use prior. (And any older BGS will just have strips of the newer green with copy). Maybe this wasn't limited to California, but I always liked the darker green.

It's a bit hard to see the difference unless the lighting is exact, but if they were side-by-side, it would be easier to notice.

Big John

^^ and no mention of the US shield on "state" route 86?

1995hoo

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 30, 2024, 02:22:52 PMMassHighway's Project CLEAN.

You could call *321 where you saw trash on the side of a surface road or freeway and they would come out an clean it.

Your post prompted me to remember something I hadn't thought of in years. At one time, Virginia had something called "Project Hero" for HOV lane enforcement. People who saw HOV violators were encouraged to get the license plate numbers and call a toll-free number whose last four digits spelled "HERO." No tickets would be issued, of course, but the alleged violators would receive letters in the mail about the HOV rules and the penalties for being caught violating them.

I remember it provoked some controversy when one fellow proudly proclaimed, in a letter to the Washington Post's Dr. Gridlock column, that he didn't care what VDOT says the HOV rules are—he and his carpool reported anyone carrying any children in the car and would continue to do so because only licensed drivers are relevant. Carrying anyone else does nothing to relieve traffic, in his mind. (Never mind that there are adults out there without driver's licenses and you can't tell who does or doesn't have one just by looking at them. I knew a fellow in his 50s or early 60s who didn't have a driver's license and took public transportation everywhere. He died in 2022.) That letter-writer was a prime example of why Project Hero could not issue tickets, of course!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thenetwork

Quote from: Quillz on Today at 04:48:10 AMAt some point, California switched the green that it used on BGS. The "old" green was considerably darker, while the new green is much brighter. I think the change was made when button copy became obsolete, as I've never seen the newer green in use prior. (And any older BGS will just have strips of the newer green with copy). Maybe this wasn't limited to California, but I always liked the darker green.

It's a bit hard to see the difference unless the lighting is exact, but if they were side-by-side, it would be easier to notice.

Ahhh, the days when many states had a slightly different shade of green for their BGSs.  Missouri, for example had a more olive green tint to theirs.

epzik8

Quote from: Quillz on Today at 04:48:10 AMAt some point, California switched the green that it used on BGS. The "old" green was considerably darker, while the new green is much brighter. I think the change was made when button copy became obsolete, as I've never seen the newer green in use prior. (And any older BGS will just have strips of the newer green with copy). Maybe this wasn't limited to California, but I always liked the darker green.

I'd say you have a keener eye than me.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

I like the weathered look of that darker green shade. 

pderocco

Quote from: thenetwork on Today at 08:13:00 AMAhhh, the days when many states had a slightly different shade of green for their BGSs.  Missouri, for example had a more olive green tint to theirs.
Not all olives are olive green, either.

pderocco

Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 07:47:30 AMYour post prompted me to remember something I hadn't thought of in years. At one time, Virginia had something called "Project Hero" for HOV lane enforcement. People who saw HOV violators were encouraged to get the license plate numbers and call a toll-free number whose last four digits spelled "HERO." No tickets would be issued, of course, but the alleged violators would receive letters in the mail about the HOV rules and the penalties for being caught violating them.

I remember it provoked some controversy when one fellow proudly proclaimed, in a letter to the Washington Post's Dr. Gridlock column, that he didn't care what VDOT says the HOV rules are—he and his carpool reported anyone carrying any children in the car and would continue to do so because only licensed drivers are relevant. Carrying anyone else does nothing to relieve traffic, in his mind. (Never mind that there are adults out there without driver's licenses and you can't tell who does or doesn't have one just by looking at them. I knew a fellow in his 50s or early 60s who didn't have a driver's license and took public transportation everywhere. He died in 2022.) That letter-writer was a prime example of why Project Hero could not issue tickets, of course!
Washington state had that too, with the same sort of xxx-xxx-HERO telephone number. It always smelled bad to me that they would call you a hero for reporting a carpool violator, but not if you reported a drunk or reckless driver.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.