News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Driving To Maine

Started by AZDude, May 30, 2011, 06:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZDude

In one month, I'm going to be driving to Houlton, Maine.  This will be the most expensive road trip I have ever taken.  Besides the cost of gas I'm more annoyed by the number of tolls I must pass through on the way there.  Sure, there are some that I do plan on bypassing and there are others where I "must" drive through. 

So, the tolls that I will be passing through are the ones on I-95 between Baltimore and Houlton.  Can anyone shed some light on how many toll booths I have to pass through and how much each will cost?  Doing some research, I expect to encounter about 12.  Does that sound about right?  Also, is change given at the toll booths? 

I have only driven through two toll booths in my life.  And I must say that I HATE THEM!  I don't like the idea of paying to drive on a road, especially if it's an interstate.  But I am going to suck it up and pay (at least for I-95). 

Brandon

Quote from: AZDude on May 30, 2011, 06:54:50 PM
So, the tolls that I will be passing through are the ones on I-95 between Baltimore and Houlton.  Can anyone shed some light on how many toll booths I have to pass through and how much each will cost?  Doing some research, I expect to encounter about 12.  Does that sound about right?  Also, is change given at the toll booths? 

I have only driven through two toll booths in my life.  And I must say that I HATE THEM!  I don't like the idea of paying to drive on a road, especially if it's an interstate.  But I am going to suck it up and pay (at least for I-95). 

1. Most toll plazas on in the east give change at their manual lanes (we do here in Illinois and Indiana).

2. There is no such thing as a free road.  You pay through gas taxes or tolls.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

I count 11 toll booths, but 1 of them you don't pay at because you're picking up a ticket (entering the Jersey Turnpike).  Drop the total number to 10 if you take I-695 around the north side of Baltimore.

I fully agree with Brandon's #2.  In the case of these toll facilities on I-95 you'll be going through:  unlike the Interstates you're familiar with, none of them have received gas tax money.  Their construction and upkeep has all been through toll revenue.

AZDude

Thank you.  Since we are on the subject, how about I-90 between I-91 and I-39?

1995hoo

I assume you will bypass the notorious Delaware Turnpike tollbooth, especially given the ongoing roadwork there as they build high-speed E-ZPass lanes. If you don't know the bypass route, do a Google search for "avoid Delaware Turnpike toll." Obey the speed limits on the streets you use for the bypass, however. Since you're skipping the tollbooth and driving through local streets, any cop running radar won't likely cut you a break. In my mind that's a fair tradeoff to obey the speed limit there in order to avoid the $4.00 toll that is levied ONLY on traffic crossing the state line.

Quote from: froggie on May 30, 2011, 09:11:35 PM
I count 11 toll booths, but 1 of them you don't pay at because you're picking up a ticket (entering the Jersey Turnpike).  Drop the total number to 10 if you take I-695 around the north side of Baltimore.

I would think the "ticket" point would apply on the Massachusetts Turnpike as well depending on the route one takes.

I come up with potentially as many as 14 tollbooths depending on the route one uses. This list is for the northbound trip only, using I-95 through Maryland and then, after reaching Connecticut, I-84 to the Massachusetts Turnpike to I-495 back to I-95 at the New Hampshire state line:

(1) Baltimore (tunnels or Key Bridge, unless you go around the long way on the north side)–both tunnels and the bridge charge $2.00
(2) Susquehanna River–$5.00
(3) Delaware Turnpike (easily avoided)–$4.00
(4) NJ Turnpike entrance (get ticket; no payment made)
(5) NJ Turnpike exit (surrender ticket and pay)–rate varies depending on where you enter and exit
(6) Hudson River crossing (comes after 7c if you use the Garden State Parkway)–$8.00 for the GW Bridge or $5.00 for the Tappan Zee Bridge
(7a) New England Thruway if you use I-95 through the New York City area–$1.75
(7b) Union barrier on Garden State Parkway if you use that route–$1.00
(7c) Bergen barrier on Garden State Parkway if you use that route–$1.00
( 8 ) Massachusetts Turnpike entrance (get ticket; no payment made)
(9) Massachusetts Turnpike exit (surrender ticket and pay)–rate varies depending on where you enter and exit
(10) New Hampshire Turnpike–$2.00
(11) York barrier on Maine Turnpike–$2.00
(12) New Gloucester barrier on Maine Turnpike–$1.75
(13) West Gardiner barrier on Maine Turnpike–$1.25

7a through 7c are listed as such because if you use the Garden State Parkway you don't hit the New England Thruway toll and vice-versa, so I view those as alternatives. The total of 14 toll plazas reflects 7b and 7c counting as two if you go that way. You can avoid all three of them if you take the Palisades Parkway or I-287, although the latter is way out of the way if you are using the I-95 route. If you come up through Pennsylvania, you can avoid all the tolls until the Hudson River crossing.

As mentioned above, the Delaware Turnpike toll is easily avoided.

#12 and #13 are easily avoided by using I-295 in Maine. Note that if you do this you should take Exit 45 rather than Exit 44. Exit 44 is marked for I-295. It has a $1.00 toll. The very next exit is less than half a mile away and has no exit toll; you can then get onto I-295 just to the east of there. Take I-295 up to where it ends at I-95 near West Gardiner. You will have to pay a $1.00 toll to get back onto I-95; on the other hand, it was a shorter drive up I-295 and you'll have saved a net of $2.00 on the two barriers if that matters to you.

The tolls are different on the southbound route due to one-way tolling at various locations.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

QuoteI would think the "ticket" point would apply on the Massachusetts Turnpike as well depending on the route one takes.

He specifically mentioned I-95, hence why I didn't count the MassPike or Garden State Parkway.  Plus the ticket system on the MassPike doesn't extend east of 128...it's cash barriers east of there into Boston proper.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on May 31, 2011, 09:29:06 AM
QuoteI would think the "ticket" point would apply on the Massachusetts Turnpike as well depending on the route one takes.

He specifically mentioned I-95, hence why I didn't count the MassPike or Garden State Parkway.  Plus the ticket system on the MassPike doesn't extend east of 128...it's cash barriers east of there into Boston proper.

Fair enough. I interpreted his use of "I-95" in a more general sense in the way that many people use "I-95" as a sort of catchall term for the I-95 corridor. Or I guess I should put it this way–I'm the type of person who scrutinizes all available routes to be prepared for any eventuality with respect to traffic, accidents, or just plain feeling like going a different way, so I tend to lay out options when listing them for other people as well.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AZDude

That is some really good info!  Some tolls are not as much as I thought they were.  Thanks!  And yes, I do plan on staying on I-95 the entire way.  But it's good to know the alternatives incase I need to use them. 

dfilpus

Quote from: AZDude on May 31, 2011, 11:03:00 AM
That is some really good info!  Some tolls are not as much as I thought they were.  Thanks!  And yes, I do plan on staying on I-95 the entire way.  But it's good to know the alternatives incase I need to use them. 
But, you can't stay on I-95 through New Jersey. There is a gap.  The various choices have different tolls.
Option 1. I-295 in Delaware to NJ Turnpike (which merges with I-95).
Option 1a. I-295 in Delaware to I-2195 New Jersey to NJ Turnpike (I-95).
Option 2. PA 413 to US 13 to I 276 (PA Turnpike) which becomes I-95 in New Jersey.

Michael in Philly

If you feel that strongly about tolls, it must be longer than 95, but:

From Baltimore:  I-83 north to Harrisburg, Pa.
Then I-81 north to Scranton, Pa.
Then I-84 east to Sturbridge, Mass.
Then I-90/Mass. Turnpike to Auburn
Then I-290 through Worcester to 495
Then I-495 to 95 at Salisbury Mass.

The only tolls by that route (until the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border) are on 84 crossing the Hudson and on the short stretch of the Massachusetts Turnpike.  Once you're in New Hampshire, it's either leave freeways or pay.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

hbelkins

Do you have time to get an E-ZPass from somewhere? That would help in avoiding lines at tollbooths.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Michael in Philly

^^And (perhaps depending where you get your pass) you can start using it immediately rather than waiting for it to come in the mail.

I got mine when, driving home from Cleveland one afternoon (yes, left there at 12:15 and was home about 8, which, since it was the end of June, was still "afternoon" as the sun wasn't down yet), I realized I'd forgotten to use the ATM and didn't have enough cash for the Turnpike across the state, and learned at the entrance booth they didn't take cards.  Had been meaning to get E-ZPass anyway, and since they sell them at some Turnpike rest areas and (if you get them at said Turnpike rest areas) you can use it to pay for the trip you're currently on, that's how I handled that....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

OracleUsr

When you consider avoiding tolls, consider the amount of gas you're going to burn trying to avoid them, and you can't avoid the tolls completely anyway, especially in New Hampshire and Maine (just using Exit 45 instead of 44 won't totally avoid the ME Turnpike tolls, anyway, as the Turnpike is concurrent with I-95 just getting into Portland, and you pay a toll getting back on to I-95 in Gardiner, near Augusta).  If you think you can handle I-95 traffic, don't let tolls vs. non-tolls sway you.

I-81 to I-84 is a beautiful drive in the Poconos and Catskills, but it can be a long way to get there. 

Bottom line, you can't avoid the tolls, just lessen the # of them.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

AZDude

Quote from: Michael in Philly on May 31, 2011, 01:51:50 PM
If you feel that strongly about tolls, it must be longer than 95, but:

From Baltimore:  I-83 north to Harrisburg, Pa.
Then I-81 north to Scranton, Pa.
Then I-84 east to Sturbridge, Mass.
Then I-90/Mass. Turnpike to Auburn
Then I-290 through Worcester to 495
Then I-495 to 95 at Salisbury Mass.

Thanks, but I want to stay on I-95 so that I can drive through Delaware and Rhode Island.  I know, if I want something I have to pay for it.  :-P

AZDude

Quote from: OracleUsr on May 31, 2011, 08:43:10 PM
When you consider avoiding tolls, consider the amount of gas you're going to burn trying to avoid them, and you can't avoid the tolls completely anyway, especially in New Hampshire and Maine (just using Exit 45 instead of 44 won't totally avoid the ME Turnpike tolls, anyway, as the Turnpike is concurrent with I-95 just getting into Portland, and you pay a toll getting back on to I-95 in Gardiner, near Augusta).  If you think you can handle I-95 traffic, don't let tolls vs. non-tolls sway you.

I-81 to I-84 is a beautiful drive in the Poconos and Catskills, but it can be a long way to get there.  

Bottom line, you can't avoid the tolls, just lessen the # of them.

I'm aware of that.  As I said earlier, I will not avoid the ones on I-95 (or parallel routes if I need to take them).  I guess I should have been more specific.  The ones I plan on avoiding are on the return trip (I-90 between I-91 and I-39).  And even then I will drive through some of them.  On some part of that route I will use Ohio 2 and U.S. 20.

Edit:  Here is a map of the route I plan on taking.

Red is the trip there, Green is the return trip, and the blue dots are were I'm spending the night.

Alps

If you're looking to get all of the I-95 mileage, you will actually want to take I-95 north into NJ, U-turn at US 1, go back down to the PA Turnpike (no direct access from 95 yet), then head east onto the NJ Turnpike from there. You could cut the corner on US 1 through Trenton but that has a toll to go back into PA. Also, if your I-95 use occurs during a weekday or weekend (99.999% likely), expect at least 1.5 hours of total traffic between Baltimore and Boston.

AZDude

One thing that crossed my mind, is New Jersey the other state where you can't pump your own gas?  I have no problem with that.  I just want to know so that I don't look dumb if I try to pump gas.

PAHighways

Quote from: Michael in Philly on May 31, 2011, 02:17:09 PMI got mine when, driving home from Cleveland one afternoon (yes, left there at 12:15 and was home about 8, which, since it was the end of June, was still "afternoon" as the sun wasn't down yet), I realized I'd forgotten to use the ATM and didn't have enough cash for the Turnpike across the state, and learned at the entrance booth they didn't take cards.

You're from Philadelphia and didn't know the Turnpike doesn't take credit cards?

hbelkins

Quote from: AZDude on May 31, 2011, 08:54:20 PM

Edit:  Here is a map of the route I plan on taking.

Red is the trip there, Green is the return trip, and the blue dots are were I'm spending the night.

Any particular reason for I-44 to I-64 through Kentucky and West Virginia, as opposed to I-40 to I-81 through Tennessee?

I can assure you that the southerly route is much more scenic, especially once you get past Knoxville and hit I-81 through Virginia. That would also save you tolls on I-44 in Oklahoma.

If you stick with the northerly route, I have spent the night in Springfield, Mo. at the Econo Lodge, Charleston, WV at the Motel 6 and the Sleep Inn, and Norwalk, Ct. at the Econo Lodge, and would recommend all of them as decent places to stay (although the Sleep Inn in Charleston is pricey).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

AZDude

^^ Because I havent been to Kentucky or West Virginia yet.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: PAHighways on May 31, 2011, 11:52:38 PM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on May 31, 2011, 02:17:09 PMI got mine when, driving home from Cleveland one afternoon (yes, left there at 12:15 and was home about 8, which, since it was the end of June, was still "afternoon" as the sun wasn't down yet), I realized I'd forgotten to use the ATM and didn't have enough cash for the Turnpike across the state, and learned at the entrance booth they didn't take cards.

You're from Philadelphia and didn't know the Turnpike doesn't take credit cards?

I've been living in Center City since 1994 - one of the few places in the country where carlessness is actually practical - and, more out of necessity than choice, lived without a car for nearly 15 years.  That road trip to Cleveland was about a month after I bought my Dad's car, and the first time since the early 90s I'd been west of Breezewood (which I'd done a few months earlier just for the heck of it).  In pre-Center City days I'd have just had enough cash on me (and it would never have occurred to me that a toll road would take anything but cash, but in 2009 it was worth a shot, and as I say I'd just forgotten got get cash before I started home.  (I also disapprove of foreign-ATM fees and will only pay them if I'm actually in a foreign country, so the non-Wachovia machines on the Turnpike were not helpful).

I believe European toll roads take cards - they'd better, for those prices - and don't some of the more expensive bridges on the East Coast?  The Turnpike's not cheap if you take it all the way from Ohio to King of Prussia....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

InterstateNG

Quote from: AZDude on May 31, 2011, 10:40:58 PM
One thing that crossed my mind, is New Jersey the other state where you can't pump your own gas?  I have no problem with that.  I just want to know so that I don't look dumb if I try to pump gas.

Yes it is.
I demand an apology.

newyorker478

Heading from Delaware to R.I. you will NOT want to stay on 95 all the way as Fairfield County traffic is really depressing.

Tappan Zee Bridge: NJ Turnpike to Exit 10, I-287 north to I-287 east/I-87 south [NY Thruway over the Tappan Zee Bridge], then 287 east thru Westchester to the Merritt Parkway, rejoining I-95 in either Milford at Exit 54 [on the Merrit] or take the Wilbur Cross up to either CT 80 or thru Middletown to CT 66 over to CT 9, rejoining 95 in Essex/Old Saybrook at Exit 69 [use CT 9 only if it's a weekend or night as New Haven and Q Bridge traffic will be brutal].

GW Bridge: Get off 95 at Exit 3 [I-87/Major Deegan Expressway]. Follow this to Exit 5 in Westchester [Central Avenue/NY 100] and take that briefly to the Sprain Brook Parkway north, then get on 287 and use the above routes thru connecticut.

The tollbooths in MD/DE are certiantly avoidable, you can cross the Delaware for free further up in PA if you want, and NJ Turnpike is just picking up a ticket, and paying for it 115 miles later, not that bad. An EZ Pass would certiantly make things easier. Note that the Merrit Pkwy is only for passenger vehicles, no trucks or commercial. And if you're trying for a 95 clinch, GOOD LUCK.  :D

newyorker478

And as for NJ gas, you are correct, but I've done it myself plenty of times. The Vince Lombardi Rest Area [right before GWB] usually has some of the cheapest gas around.

Alps

Actually, all of the service plazas on the NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway have the same gas prices and they can only change once per week. By law.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.