News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York's first diverging diamond interchange to open Saturday

Started by cu2010, September 05, 2012, 03:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cu2010

After a summer of construction, the new diverging diamond interchange between I-590 and Winton Road in Brighton will open Saturday. Permanent work will be completed during closures over the next two weekends.

I will definitely have to check that out and get pictures when I go back that way later this month. :)
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

vdeane

Nice to know they're finally getting there.  Last I looked, it was much like US 11 in Canton: a lot of random hole digging but not much else.

I hope those signs in the animation aren't the ones that will be posted... if so, it looks like region 4 is adopting region 2's preference to make people change lanes unnecessarily.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PurdueBill

As usual, the comments on the article (as are comments on most news articles these days) are a hoot.  "This is one of the DUMBIST ideas that i have ever seen!!"  That is the WORSEST spelling of "dumbest" I have seen today!

agentsteel53

why is the diverging diamond all that confusing?  it doesn't look much different than a Y-intersection with crossing ramps in the middle.  (oncoming traffic from right branch intersects splitting traffic going to left branch.)

and Y-intersections have been around since the 20s, if not even more long ago than that!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

empirestate

How is that possible? Last time I was up there, there wasn't so much as an orange barrel to signal the start of construction. And yesterday's webcam image shows no work done other than widening of right-turn bays. Is the remaining work really that quick?

(I still have no idea why this intersection, of all the diamond interchanges in the county, was selected for the treatment.)

NE2

There's really not much to do if the road's not actually being widened. It's more like two intersection changes with an overpass between.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on September 07, 2012, 12:26:16 AM
How is that possible? Last time I was up there, there wasn't so much as an orange barrel to signal the start of construction. And yesterday's webcam image shows no work done other than widening of right-turn bays. Is the remaining work really that quick?

(I still have no idea why this intersection, of all the diamond interchanges in the county, was selected for the treatment.)
They're not actually going to be done yet - just turning on the new traffic lights, turning the old ones off, and re-arranging the construction cones.  The rest of the work with the pavement and signage will be done in following weekends with the interchange closed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: deanej on September 07, 2012, 11:18:22 AM
They're not actually going to be done yet - just turning on the new traffic lights, turning the old ones off, and re-arranging the construction cones.  The rest of the work with the pavement and signage will be done in following weekends with the interchange closed.

So, what exactly is opening on Saturday?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on September 07, 2012, 01:27:32 PM
Quote from: deanej on September 07, 2012, 11:18:22 AM

Technically nothing, it's just moving the traffic pattern into the diverging diamond configuration even though the work isn't done.  The Democrat and Chronicle likes to say something is "opening" even if it's just a traffic pattern change.

empirestate

Quote from: deanej on September 07, 2012, 03:59:23 PM
Quote from: empirestate on September 07, 2012, 01:27:32 PM
Technically nothing, it's just moving the traffic pattern into the diverging diamond configuration even though the work isn't done.  The Democrat and Chronicle likes to say something is "opening" even if it's just a traffic pattern change.

Ah, I see now. I was confused by that word in the topic header; the article doesn't actually say "opening". So Saturday is when it will start functioning as a diverging diamond, even though it won't physically have changed much yet.

vdeane

Looks like it got delayed by the storms that have happened recently.  Thankfully it appears as if "keep left" will be used instead of a down arrow (from the pictures my Mom sent to my phone), so we won't become region 2!

vdeane

It's "officially" opened, not that that means the construction stuff is gone (though there's a lot less of it).

https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2012/2012-10-16

empirestate

rickmastfan67

empirestate

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.