News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Quote from: ipeters61 on June 22, 2019, 06:45:15 PM
Yeah it's still there, so I'll join you guys in posting my own photo!

Also picked up a few other interesting signs:

2 hour parking:

Begin one way:

Love the 95/1 gantries.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

MASTERNC

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 22, 2019, 02:13:51 PM
Looks like I-95 north of Baltimore will be crawling with speed cameras. Noticed covered up signs just south of MD 279 in Elkton and signs covered southbound near Perryville (assume the Tydings Bridge and toll plaza preclude one NB). Both are bridge projects. Oddly, ongoing bridge projects near MD 272 and south of Bel Air don't have them.

A NB project between MD 152 and MD 24 will also have NB cameras when it starts.

Cameras start operating July 8, with tickets starting three weeks after.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-news-releases/work-zone-speed-camera-enforcement-begins-i-95-cecil-county

roadman65

If MD 149 ever was to be built, where would it have ended? I know the west end was why the ghost ramps at Morovia Road exit on I-95, but the east end was to continue through the I-695 and MD 702 interchange hence the long flyovers over nothing and the ghost freeway and why the big bend on I-695 now to the west of MD 702 as another interchange would have been built connecting MD 149 to I-695 at that end creating a short concurrency with the interstate.

I believe the never built MD 149 was to be called the Windlass Freeway also.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Depends on which map, year, or plan you looked at:

- A 1957 Baltimore County plan extended the Windlass across the Gunpowder River into Harford County.  It is unknown where it would have gone in Harford County or whether it would have penetrated the Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

- The 1964 BMATS plan had it continuing to an extended White Marsh (MD 43) north of the Williams Estates subdivision (and east of the extended 43 that did get built)...this also appears on a 1961 Esso map and a 1963 Baltimore Sun article.

- A 1965 statewide plan had the Windlass looping around to the north and west as part of the never-built Outer Beltway.

- A 1967 regional development plan had it extending northeast to near Chase, then turning north across the Bird River and meeting I-95 between Big Gunpowder Falls and the Bradshaw Rd overpass.  An at-grade extension of this 1967 plan continued a roadway to the never-built Perring Parkway (a freeway from 695 to Bel Air roughly paralleling MD 147).

Per mdroads, it was officially killed off in the mid-1970s.

At one point, the big bend on 695 would have not only interchanged with the Windlass but also would have had an extension of the Patapsco Freeway (695 to the south of the bend) on a more direct line to the Beltway near Exit 34.

TheOneKEA

Regarding MD 149 between I-95 and I-695, would the freeway have been built north or south of Windlass Run? Would it have been built at ground level or on an elevated viaduct? The maps I've seen don't go down to this level of detail.

ixnay

After Labor Day, things will start ceasing to be nifty on 301/50.

That's when season 1 of a 2-winter redecking of one lane of the wb WPLJrMB will begin.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2019/07/major-delays-expected-at-bay-bridge-much-of-next-two-years/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheMDTA/posts/

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

MASTERNC

Just drove up from Baltimore to Delaware this morning and noticed a few things:

- The road work to add a lane on NB I-95 between MD 152 and MD 24 is starting.  There are lane shifts already implemented.  Speed camera signs are up but are covered.
- All three camera zones on I-95 north of the Tydings Bridge had active cameras, including a portable tripod unit with a small car hidden well behind the porta potty (it wasn't marked on Waze, so my guess is nobody picked it up).  Hadn't seen a non-vehicle mounted camera in years, but they are back.  The message is don't rely on looking for an SUV behind the porta potty.
- There was a covered up sign installed on an approach to the Hatem Bridge.  My guess is they have already installed signage for cashless tolling.  There is no gantry up yet on the south end of the bridge.  The toll plaza is down to two lanes now (one E-ZPass, one mixed mode).

froggie

Quote- All three camera zones on I-95 north of the Tydings Bridge had active cameras, including a portable tripod unit with a small car hidden well behind the porta potty (it wasn't marked on Waze, so my guess is nobody picked it up).  Hadn't seen a non-vehicle mounted camera in years, but they are back.  The message is don't rely on looking for an SUV behind the porta potty.

The better message is:  don't go more than 10 over the limit and you won't have to worry about where the speed cameras are hidden.

famartin

Quote from: froggie on July 30, 2019, 08:47:12 AM
Quote- All three camera zones on I-95 north of the Tydings Bridge had active cameras, including a portable tripod unit with a small car hidden well behind the porta potty (it wasn't marked on Waze, so my guess is nobody picked it up).  Hadn't seen a non-vehicle mounted camera in years, but they are back.  The message is don't rely on looking for an SUV behind the porta potty.

The better message is:  don't go more than 10 over the limit and you won't have to worry about where the speed cameras are hidden.

A great message, but one I've noticed many people don't know...

My other pet peeve is those who slow to 65 in the express toll lanes on the Delaware Turnpike. Cmon people, there's no speed cameras there! If there's no one screwing me up by slowing down, I go thru them at 75, no sweat.

MASTERNC

Quote from: froggie on July 30, 2019, 08:47:12 AM

Assuming they are well calibrated and tag the right vehicle

froggie

^^ Are you sure?  I don't remember where offhand, but I know of EZPass express lanes where they do record your speed as you go under the gantry.

famartin

Quote from: froggie on July 30, 2019, 08:45:23 PM
^^ Are you sure?  I don't remember where offhand, but I know of EZPass express lanes where they do record your speed as you go under the gantry.
Considering I've done it dozens of times over the past 4 years, yeah, pretty sure.

sprjus4

Why should those gantries be allowed to act as speed cameras? It should be strictly used for its one intended purpose - scanning license plates or E-ZPass (or whatever tag depending on where you are) transponders.

I'm not aware of any that exist...

famartin

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 10:24:04 PM
Why should those gantries be allowed to act as speed cameras? It should be strictly used for its one intended purpose - scanning license plates or E-ZPass (or whatever tag depending on where you are) transponders.

I seem to recall there are some that do that in Massachusetts.

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on July 30, 2019, 10:58:42 PM

I've used the Mass Pike (I-90) many times & passed through several gantries since their conversion to AET.  My monthly statement only lists the date/time for the first gantry I pass through and the date/time for the final gantry I go through.  No listings for any gantries in-between as well as speed.  At least for that road, a speeder can always stop at one of the Service Plazas for a short bit resulting in an increase in overall elapsed time and average speed.

If those AET gantries, regardless of which state, are being used for speed enforcement purposes; advance signage listing such, similar to what one sees for traffic light cameras and (in MD) photo speed enforcement for work zones, I believe are required by law.  Otherwise, such is considered to be entrapment.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

I'm not sure if I've heard of a gantry being used for speed enforcement, but I do know that the Thruway used to harass people for going too fast through E-ZPass lanes, even sending violation notices and threatening expulsion from the program.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sprjus4

Quote from: vdeane on July 31, 2019, 01:00:16 PM
I'm not sure if I've heard of a gantry being used for speed enforcement, but I do know that the Thruway used to harass people for going too fast through E-ZPass lanes, even sending violation notices and threatening expulsion from the program.
Do they still do it? That stuff should be illegal IMO.

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 31, 2019, 09:17:26 AM
Quote from: famartin on July 30, 2019, 10:58:42 PM

I've used the Mass Pike (I-90) many times & passed through several gantries since their conversion to AET.  My monthly statement only lists the date/time for the first gantry I pass through and the date/time for the final gantry I go through.  No listings for any gantries in-between as well as speed.  At least for that road, a speeder can always stop at one of the Service Plazas for a short bit resulting in an increase in overall elapsed time and average speed.

If those AET gantries, regardless of which state, are being used for speed enforcement purposes; advance signage listing such, similar to what one sees for traffic light cameras and (in MD) photo speed enforcement for work zones, I believe are required by law.  Otherwise, such is considered to be entrapment.

Maybe I just read that they could be used for such. This article mentions they do clock speed but aren't being used for enforcement.
https://www.masslive.com/news/2016/07/yes_those_new_electronic_toll.html

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on July 31, 2019, 02:12:05 PM
Maybe I just read that they could be used for such. This article mentions they do clock speed but aren't being used for enforcement.
https://www.masslive.com/news/2016/07/yes_those_new_electronic_toll.html
If MassDOT or, more precisely, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts ever considered such; there would be a firestorm of protests and/or legal challenges like you wouldn't believe... to a point where either such wouldn't see the light of day or, if such was enacted, would be repealed very quicly via a ballot referendum.

Your linked-article also mentioned the practice being struck down in other areas/states.
Quote from: Mass Live articleBut the practice has not been without legal challenges. In Cincinnati, Ohio, a judge ordered cameras used to ticket speeders shut down.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

roadman65

The Hickory Bypass, which was done in the early 00's, was not built as the original freeway or super two it was intended to be.  Nor was the MD 24 bypass, which was designed to be a cloverleaf, but ended up as a signalized T using two of the planned ramps to be cutoffs instead.

I often wondered why MDSHA did not built at least the diamond interchange at the end of the old Bel Air Bypass as stubs and ramps were built. In fact Water Tower Blvd, was the former Bel Air Bypass access from MD 23.  I know things change in the area of roads, but wondered why MDSHA opted for an at grade bypass for Hickory and redid the former stub ending of the Bel Air Bypass at US 1 Business?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Quote from: roadman65The Hickory Bypass, which was done in the early 00's, was not built as the original freeway or super two it was intended to be.

The idea of a US 1 freeway was long dead by the time SHA got around to the Hickory Bypass.

QuoteNor was the MD 24 bypass, which was designed to be a cloverleaf semi-directional T, but ended up as a signalized T using two of the planned ramps to be cutoffs instead.

FTFY.  Going back to 1959, it was never intended as a cloverleaf.  The 1959 plan was a modified directional-T with a single loop ramp from NB 24 to SB 1.  The town's 1979 master plan (documented in the EIS) had a semi-directional T.  The 2000 Preferred Alternative was to build the interchange as a trumpet.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: froggie on August 07, 2019, 09:45:03 PM
Quote from: roadman65The Hickory Bypass, which was done in the early 00's, was not built as the original freeway or super two it was intended to be.

The idea of a US 1 freeway was long dead by the time SHA got around to the Hickory Bypass.

QuoteNor was the MD 24 bypass, which was designed to be a cloverleaf semi-directional T, but ended up as a signalized T using two of the planned ramps to be cutoffs instead.

FTFY.  Going back to 1959, it was never intended as a cloverleaf.  The 1959 plan was a modified directional-T with a single loop ramp from NB 24 to SB 1.  The town's 1979 master plan (documented in the EIS) had a semi-directional T.  The 2000 Preferred Alternative was to build the interchange as a trumpet.

This forum post has the diagrams showing the plans from 1959, and includes the parclo layout for the original proposed upgrade for MD 23. This PDF posted by the SHA on the project page shows the current plan for the upgrade of the Bel Air Bypass.

I am looking forward to the completion of this project - it's every bit as needed as the US 50/MD 404 interchange construction.

Mergingtraffic

Kind of curious...besides Baltimore and the I-495 Beltway signs on MD-193 and MD-97, are there any other button copy signs in Maryland?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cpzilliacus

Maryland's can indeed do that - at least the ones on MD-200. 

I am not able to go into more detail here, but will gladly explain privately.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.