Which state has the best traffic signals?

Started by Amtrakprod, July 17, 2018, 06:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 05, 2018, 10:52:44 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on August 05, 2018, 10:48:52 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 05, 2018, 09:59:17 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on August 05, 2018, 09:36:31 PM
I'm assuming by span wire, you mean signals held up by a Strand (common in IN) instead of mounted to a Mast Arm (common in IL)?
It's a wire that spans the road: span wire. I've never heard of calling it a "strand" before.
Got the lingo down

In Telecom Outside Plant (where I am employed), the heavy gauge Steel support wire that holds up telecom cables between poles (fiber, coax, copper, etc) is called the "strand."

A Span Wire Signal uses very similar support wire to support the signals.

But different industry (Transportation vs Telecom), different terminology. I can handle that

I don't even know if "span wire" is the correct industry term. That's just the term I learned here on this forum/the term everyone else seems to use here. :)
When in Rome...

It is pretty rare to find a Permanent Span Wire Signal in IL, especially along an IDOT-maintained road. There are a select few out there

Mast Arm is by far and above the standard, from South Beloit to Cairo, in IL!

Revive 755

Quote from: Super Mateo on July 17, 2018, 08:52:02 PM
And I personally prefer 5 sections over doghouses, of which there are only two I know of in Illinois:  one in Naperville, the other in Calumet City, which is actually an Indiana installation on the state line.

Which intersection?  The only signal near or on the IL/IN border I can find with doghouses is on the Chicago/Hammond border at the Avenue A/106th Street/EB US 12-20-41 intersection

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 05, 2018, 11:10:47 PM
Quote from: Super Mateo on July 17, 2018, 08:52:02 PM
And I personally prefer 5 sections over doghouses, of which there are only two I know of in Illinois:  one in Naperville, the other in Calumet City, which is actually an Indiana installation on the state line.

Which intersection?  The only signal near or on the IL/IN border I can find with doghouses is on the Chicago/Hammond border at the Avenue A/106th Street/EB US 12-20-41 intersection.
Naperville has it at Washington and whatever road the Childrens Museum is on/North Ave

https://goo.gl/maps/UPf9YXAkEx62

Granted, that Doghouse has only arrow movements (Left and Right Arrows), as North Ave is a One Way against the exit of the Museum Parking Lot/Into the entrance of the Museum (or turning onto Washington)

The Calumet City, may be @ State Line Road and State St
https://goo.gl/maps/68nRenQVsDw

Have a Doghouse on a Mast Arm, right by a Welcome to Calumet City sign

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.