News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AR: Future I-555

Started by Tomahawkin, February 11, 2009, 11:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Federal regulations stipulate that new Interstate routes need to end at a logical termini, and they point out intersecting National Highway System routes as an example.  Exit 45 has that (US 49 South is on the NHS).  Exit 49 does not.

KamKam

Personally I-555 should be signed from I-55 to AR 91 (Exit 49) between Southwest Dr (Exit 45) and AR 91 Are up to interstate standards so it would make sense

Bobby5280

I wonder if the freeway could eventually be extended up to Walnut Ridge to meet up with US-67. I-555 could then be signed all the way up to there. Of course it could make things a little strange if US-67 gets an Interstate designation, like I-30 or "I-330". Then I-555 might need to be given an even number to satisfy route numbering purists.

mvak36

I'm just hoping these new signs won't be Clearview.

That being said, I'm glad that 555 is finally is a reality. I'd let them keep it since it is a unique number. I don't want them changing it.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: mvak36 on March 11, 2016, 06:28:58 PM

That being said, I'm glad that 555 is finally is a reality. I'd let them keep it since it is a unique number. I don't want them changing it.

Just extend it by buiding a southern bypass  of Jonesboro  starting around Bay  and connecting to ARK226/US49, upgrade ARK226 and run I-555 to US67. I equate the existing part of I-555 in Jonesboro that deadends as it converts back to only US63 as a future I-540 situation you find in Ft. Smith.

froggie

QuoteI wonder if the freeway could eventually be extended up to Walnut Ridge to meet up with US-67.

Not the way AHTD designed the Bono bypass and the widening between Jonesboro and Walnut Ridge.  There's already retail development with direct access on the bypass.  Just further goes to show that the South does not understand (or, more likely, care about) access management.

Bobby5280

I-555 would have to be routed on a new terrain route from the freeway's current end at the AR-91 exit. Too many properties are alongside US-63 to widen it. A new terrain route could run parallel to the West and take a minimal number of homes. The route could then dovetail into the Bono bypass after the businesses built up along the beginning of it. NW of Bono there's quite a bit of open space to upgrade US-63.

It is screwy how businesses were allowed to build up close to the South end of the Bono bypass and have driveways paved directly onto it. That's very short-sighted "planning" at work. It's the same sort of nonsense that goes in Oklahoma. The idea of an outer loop toll road for Oklahoma City is now likely a pipe dream thanks to basically no sense of planning in Yukon, Mustang and other parts of the OKC metro.

froggie

I should have elaborated that AHTD's action with US 63 to the north of Jonesboro makes it apparent that they have no interest in extending I-555.

US71

Quote from: froggie on March 12, 2016, 06:48:38 PM
I should have elaborated that AHTD's action with US 63 to the north of Jonesboro makes it apparent that they have no interest in extending I-555.

I have never heard anything about extending it, even when it was first discussed.  There isn't much beyond Jonesboro except Walnut Ridge and it would have the I-30 extension (if such ever came to pass).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

I was making regular trips to Columbia, MO about 20 years ago. I would catch US 63 at Hardy after driving up US 167 to Ash Flat then 10 miles on 62/412 to Hardy. I haven't been through there in more than 15 years. Has anything changed with 63 between Hardy & the Missouri state line? It was a "crooked & steep next 16 miles" 2-lane road.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on March 13, 2016, 10:04:44 AM

I was making regular trips to Columbia, MO about 20 years ago. I would catch US 63 at Hardy after driving up US 167 to Ash Flat then 10 miles on 62/412 to Hardy. I haven't been through there in more than 15 years. Has anything changed with 63 between Hardy & the Missouri state line? It was a "crooked & steep next 16 miles" 2-lane road.

Hardy has a small bypass. 63 is in the process of being widened the last few miles south of Missouri

US71

Quote from: mvak36 on March 11, 2016, 06:28:58 PM

At least one is :)

KamKam

Me too! I hate Clearview!

mvak36

Looks like Google maps still hasn't put the 555 shields on the road yet. The wait goes on.....

NE2

Why is it so important what the Goog does?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mvak36

It isn't. I just thought it was funny because they previously used to prematurely number interstates before they became official.

US71

Quote from: mvak36 on March 15, 2016, 05:37:22 PM
It isn't. I just thought it was funny because they previously used to prematurely number interstates before they became official.
Maybe someone needs to tag the map so Google knows.

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on March 15, 2016, 07:19:59 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on March 15, 2016, 05:37:22 PM
Maybe someone needs to tag the map so Google knows.

I submitted an edit to Google.

iPhone

I-39

So does the waiver for farm vehicles mean the frontage road that was previously proposed to address those vehicles won't be constructed, or is it on the far back burner now?

US71

I-555 ends at US49 South. US63 is partially posted along 555, but not along the side roads. I'll be doing more research tomorrow.

SGH-I337

US71

NB I-555 ends at US 49/AR18 (Exit 45), but the exit numbering continues to exit 49 AR 91/ Ray Ave.

There is no end signage at either end of 555 and no "TO 555" trailblazers north of Hwy 49. 63 is mostly co-signed along 555, but only along the highway: none of the side roads are co-signed.  Between Truman and Payneway, 63 is NOT posted at all (AHTD error?)

The farm vehicle exception between AR 14 at Payneway and US 63B at Marked Tree is posted at 65 mph (instead of 70), but is co-signed 555/63. Where 555 ends at I-55 near Turrell, US 63 "disappears". There is one overhead co-sign for 555/63 where the interstate begins. 555 and 63 are also co-signed on the exit signs along I-55.

I also tried to get at least one photo of each exit sign to update the exit listings.

US71

Ive been asked about the farm vehicle exemption area between Marked Tree and Payneway, whether any private driveways have access to the highway. No they don't. The entire ROW is fenced &/or barricaded, including former driveways and county roads.  The only exception to that is just south of Sand Slough where is gated access to the wildlife management areas on both sides of 555/63. However, the gates don't look wide enough to allow farm vehicles through plus I'm guessing they are kept locked unless a game & fish commission officer needs access. The drives to these are paved at the highway, but turn to gravel, plus they are down a slope so most drives won't see them unless they are really looking.

The exemption has signs on both sides of the highway at either end warning motorists to watch for farm machinery. The speed limit drops from 70 mph to 65, but it is still co-signed at I-555/US 63. 63 is NOT co-signed along any of the side roads, only along the main road.

I-39

Quote from: US71 on March 28, 2016, 08:24:25 PM
Ive been asked about the farm vehicle exemption area between Marked Tree and Payneway, whether any private driveways have access to the highway. No they don't. The entire ROW is fenced &/or barricaded, including former driveways and county roads.  The only exception to that is just south of Sand Slough where is gated access to the wildlife management areas on both sides of 555/63. However, the gates don't look wide enough to allow farm vehicles through plus I'm guessing they are kept locked unless a game & fish commission officer needs access. The drives to these are paved at the highway, but turn to gravel, plus they are down a slope so most drives won't see them unless they are really looking.

The exemption has signs on both sides of the highway at either end warning motorists to watch for farm machinery. The speed limit drops from 70 mph to 65, but it is still co-signed at I-555/US 63. 63 is NOT co-signed along any of the side roads, only along the main road.

So per my last post on here, does the farm vehicle exemption mean that the previously proposed frontage road for farm vehicles is cancelled? Or is it just on the far back burner now?

US71

Quote from: I-39 on March 28, 2016, 08:56:31 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 28, 2016, 08:24:25 PM

So per my last post on here, does the farm vehicle exemption mean that the previously proposed frontage road for farm vehicles is cancelled? Or is it just on the far back burner now?

I've heard nothing about it since the exemption was passed. My guess is the frontage road is cancelled, at least for now.

The Ghostbuster

In time, hopefully the side roads will get better signage. Also Google Maps shows 555 going all the way to AR 91 (Exit 49).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.