News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AR: Future I-555

Started by Tomahawkin, February 11, 2009, 11:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBBrittain

Quote from: US71 on May 10, 2016, 12:24:06 PM
Quote from: KamKam on May 10, 2016, 09:57:31 AM
Dang! 555 got a lot of work to do lol

It's an old road.
Yep, but it wasn't an interstate when the last IRP/GARVEE bonds were issued. With all of Arkansas' IM money now pledged to IRP, it needs a TIGER grant to fix now; otherwise it'll have to wait for another round like I-530, which is why it's being fixed all at once now.

That's the problem with how Arkansas currently fixes interstates: Using GARVEE forces IM construction into spurts in the 3-5 years after bond issuance; anything not in IRP has to wait till the bonds are paid off (IIRC after 15 years). Regular maintenance really shouldn't be funded with bond issues; but Arkansas building its interstates all at once in the early Mack-Blackwell era, then neglecting them till they were all falling apart at once in an era of high construction inflation, forced us into the initial IRP/GARVEE -- and its tie-up of IM money forced us to do it again. It won't be easy to break us out of this vicious cycle and use IM money when the interstates actually need it. (I would say "pay-as-you-go", but ironically it was strict adherence to that ideal after Mack-Blackwell that got us in this mess to begin with.)

Wayward Memphian

ADHT has resurfaced everything from Panyeway to Marked Tree with exception of the concrete on the bridges. It helped quite a lot.

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 15, 2016, 04:09:32 PM
ADHT has resurfaced everything from Panyeway to Marked Tree with exception of the concrete on the bridges. It helped quite a lot.
The bridges need a lot of help, too.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on July 15, 2016, 05:09:43 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on July 15, 2016, 04:09:32 PM
The bridges need a lot of help, too.

Oh, most definitely. They are a patchwork quilt of awfulness.

Rothman

Quote from: RBBrittain on July 11, 2016, 02:46:56 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 10, 2016, 12:24:06 PM
Quote from: KamKam on May 10, 2016, 09:57:31 AM
Dang! 555 got a lot of work to do lol

It's an old road.
Yep, but it wasn't an interstate when the last IRP/GARVEE bonds were issued. With all of Arkansas' IM money now pledged to IRP, it needs a TIGER grant to fix now; otherwise it'll have to wait for another round like I-530, which is why it's being fixed all at once now.

That's the problem with how Arkansas currently fixes interstates: Using GARVEE forces IM construction into spurts in the 3-5 years after bond issuance; anything not in IRP has to wait till the bonds are paid off (IIRC after 15 years). Regular maintenance really shouldn't be funded with bond issues; but Arkansas building its interstates all at once in the early Mack-Blackwell era, then neglecting them till they were all falling apart at once in an era of high construction inflation, forced us into the initial IRP/GARVEE -- and its tie-up of IM money forced us to do it again. It won't be easy to break us out of this vicious cycle and use IM money when the interstates actually need it. (I would say "pay-as-you-go", but ironically it was strict adherence to that ideal after Mack-Blackwell that got us in this mess to begin with.)

Interstate Maintenance funds have not been continued since MAP-21.  The only way they can be using up IM is by using old apportionment funds from previous FFYs (for example, NY has a whopping $227K left in IM as of 7/18).  Otherwise, they'll end up hitting their NHP pot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

How many years will it be before the US 63/Interstate 555 corridor may need to be reconstructed?

sparker

Question:  Does I-555 have any reassurance/approach signage erected as of yet, including BGS's on I-55?  If so, does anyone have any pix of such?  Thanks!

US71

Quote from: sparker on July 20, 2016, 09:12:17 PM
Question:  Does I-555 have any reassurance/approach signage erected as of yet, including BGS's on I-55?  If so, does anyone have any pix of such?  Thanks!

Yes, and yes :)

US 49 approaching 555

Red Wolf Blvd (US 49) at I-555

Northbound I-555/US 63 with Southbound US 49 (only triplex assembly on NB 555)

I have more I haven't posted yet :)

KamKam

Those pics are SO cool!

Bobby5280

I'd like the I-555 shields more if they weren't neutered. Those "555" numerals are barely fitting into the space. They're applied too high, almost onto the line separating the red and blue fields in the shield background. Numerals fit so much better on normal, non-neutered shields.

sparker

Mucho gracias -- really cool pix!  While I, too, generally prefer state-name Interstate shields, the sight of new unfaded reassurance/trailblazer shielding is in itself satisfying! 

Bobby5280

Google Earth now has June 2016 Street View imagery of the I-555 and I-55 interchange with I-555 shields on the green overhead signs.

The Interstate shields on those signs are all neutered. Of course the numbers don't fit well at all. The I-55 shields are particularly horrible.

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 22, 2016, 10:45:39 AM
Google Earth now has June 2016 Street View imagery of the I-555 and I-55 interchange with I-555 shields on the green overhead signs.

The Interstate shields on those signs are all neutered. Of course the numbers don't fit well at all. The I-55 shields are particularly horrible.

Then there's this at Hwy 77

and this

yakra

Is the extension to AR91 signed in the field yet?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

US71

Quote from: yakra on July 22, 2016, 02:45:37 PM
Is the extension to AR91 signed in the field yet?

I don't know. I may try to sneak out there again next month to check more bridges, so I might be able to dry by and verify.

Bobby5280

That's interesting (in a bad way) to see a 1957 spec I-55 shield next to modern, neutered version.

If it was up to be I would have had both fabricated using the 1970 design.

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 22, 2016, 03:53:21 PM

That's interesting (in a bad way) to see a 1957 spec I-55 shield next to modern, neutered version.

The 55 was likely already there with US 63 before it became 555

I-39

So did they approve the extension to AR 91?

US71

Quote from: I-39 on July 23, 2016, 05:24:11 PM
So did they approve the extension to AR 91?

Approved, yes. Posted, uncertain.

Bobby5280

I-555 is signed up to the interchange with US-49, exit 45. Google updated their street view imagery along I-555. It's June 2016 imagery along most of the route's main lanes. Approaching I-555 from US-49 Northbound you can see signs pointing to I-555 going right and US-63 going left.

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 25, 2016, 03:30:52 PM
I-555 is signed up to the interchange with US-49, exit 45. Google updated their street view imagery along I-555. It's June 2016 imagery along most of the route's main lanes. Approaching I-555 from US-49 Northbound you can see signs pointing to I-555 going right and US-63 going left.

Yes.

Respectfully, I think the question was whether AHTD got official approval to extend 555 to Hwy 91 and whether the extension had been signed.

To my knowledge the extension was approved. Signed? Most likely, but I have no info.

Henry

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 22, 2016, 03:53:21 PM

Wow, that is so cool, seeing old and new shields side by side!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Per today's field reconnaissance, 555 is still not posted beyond US 49, even though it has reportedly been extended to AR 91.

froggie

Approved for extension to AR 91.  It's FHWA that decides when that happens.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 06, 2016, 09:36:40 PM
AHTD has posted the I-555 TIGER grant application and it essentially seeks $41 million to be part of $88.8 million for repairs to I-555 (p. 2/22 of pdf); a map in the application illustrates seven stages of repairs (p. 15/22 of pdf):

Having failed at TIGER, AHTD has decided to try a FASTLANE application. AHTD is asking for $65.2 million of the $108.7 million project cost. The cost per segment is as follows (p. 11/22 of pdf):

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.