Which cities would be good for sports teams?

Started by Poiponen13, September 30, 2023, 01:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

Which cities would be good for sports teams (both major and minor leagues)? At least I think that Bismarck, ND should have a minor league team. Other cities good for minor league teams are:
Rochester, MN
Cheyenne, WY
Kalispell, MT
Lethbridge, AB
Shreveport, LA

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 30, 2023, 01:19:55 PM
Which cities would be good for sports teams (both major and minor leagues)? At least I think that Bismarck, ND should have a minor league team. Other cities good for minor league teams are:
Rochester, MN
Cheyenne, WY
Kalispell, MT
Lethbridge, AB
Shreveport, LA
Québec City, QC, no ifs or buts about it. Also, how did you manage to make the text so small?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

GaryV

Rochester, MN

You mean like the Rochester Honkers, Rochester FC, Rochester Grizzlies, Med City Football Club?

Do you even do any research before you spout your half-baked ideas?

I've researched one on your list. For the others, as they used to say in math books, the proof is left to the reader.

hotdogPi

What about the Rio Grande Valley? They always seem to be forgotten.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

DandyDan

One thing I will say about Rochester, MN is that when they reorganized minor league baseball in 2021, they should have stuck the Twins affiliate in the Midwest League in Rochester. At least it would have been logical.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jlam

The Hampton Roads area needs a major pro sports team. At least they have Triple-A teams.

Max Rockatansky

Fresno seems very large to only have a Single A team (the Grizzlies), the USPHL Monsters and USL League 1 f Central Valley Fuego.

SectorZ

Whatever town Popo13 lives in, with a giant stadium inches from his house. Free vuvuzelas to all fans.

bing101

Austin, TX has to be up there for cities most worthy for Pro sports teams.

It has the money from Venture Capitalists and certain number of companies are putting their Texas offices there.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/06/how-austin-texas-has-evolved-into-a-city-of-unicorns-and-tech-giants/

https://www.businessinsider.com/austin-texas-silicon-hills-tech-capital-city-photos-2019-2

1995hoo

Quote from: SectorZ on October 01, 2023, 08:30:44 AM
Whatever town Popo13 lives in, with a giant stadium inches from his house. Free vuvuzelas to all fans.

With no possibility of promotion, so they're stuck in whatever bottom-level league they join.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bing101

Rochester, MN
Cheyenne, WY
Kalispell, MT
Lethbridge, AB
Shreveport, LA

UMM? Money from Venture Capitalists talks louder than these cities you put on the list.  The other place I have on this list most worthy for pro sports teams on the top level is Raleigh, NC.

https://technical.ly/startups/raleigh-north-carolina-innovation-hub/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleigh,_North_Carolina

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle

Alps

The three big cities in Texas should all be major league cities in the top 3 sports. Hockey can stay in Dallas.

Hunty2022

Rochester, MN
Cheyenne, WY
Kalispell, MT
Lethbridge, AB
Shreveport, LA

Rochester: Cheer for the Minneapolis teams.
Cheyenne: Cheer for the Denver/Colorado teams.
Kalispell: No.
Lethbridge: Cheer for the Calgary Flames.
Shreveport: Cheer for the Saints, Astros, or Rockets.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Stephane Dumas

That remind of these on and off rumors then the CFL wanted to put a team in Halifax.

roadman65

Orlando could now use an NFL team since they transformed the ole Toilet Bowl into the Camping World Stadium.

That's one reason why the city council renovated the icky stadium, to hopefully attract some owner to bring a franchise to O Town.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

Quote from: roadman65 on October 02, 2023, 08:52:46 AM
Orlando could now use an NFL team since they transformed the ole Toilet Bowl into the Camping World Stadium.

That's one reason why the city council renovated the icky stadium, to hopefully attract some owner to bring a franchise to O Town.
Orlando Breakers in Coach?

Poiponen13

Quote from: Hunty2022 on October 01, 2023, 07:28:22 PM
Rochester, MN
Cheyenne, WY
Kalispell, MT
Lethbridge, AB
Shreveport, LA

These cities should have their own teams. Cheyenne could have MiLB or spring football league team, Shreveport MiLB, minor soccer or basketball team, Lethbridge minor Canadian league soccer team in addition to existing junior hockey team (Hurricanes) and Kalispell MiLB team.

Hunty2022

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 02, 2023, 09:30:29 AM
Quote from: Hunty2022 on October 01, 2023, 07:28:22 PM
Rochester, MN
Cheyenne, WY
Kalispell, MT
Lethbridge, AB
Shreveport, LA

These cities should have their own teams. Cheyenne could have MiLB or spring football league team, Shreveport MiLB, minor soccer or basketball team, Lethbridge minor Canadian league soccer team in addition to existing junior hockey team (Hurricanes) and Kalispell MiLB team.

I misread the original post, I thought you were talking about these random cities getting Major League Teams. They can definitely have minor league teams.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2023, 11:49:54 AM
Even Kalispell??
It is a minor to mid-size city, so it would be good to have minor league team there.

DTComposer

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 02, 2023, 11:52:34 AM
Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2023, 11:49:54 AM
Even Kalispell??
It is a minor to mid-size city, so it would be good to have minor league team there.

The urban areas for Kalispell, Whitefish, and Columbia Falls total about 50,600. Even combining those would place the region around 505th in population for urban areas.

The Cheyenne urban area is a little better at 79,250 and 358th place.

I get that they have some name recognition as a state capital and a popular resort area, but there are literally hundreds of areas that have a larger population and can better support a team.

Here's a sampling of large urban areas who do not have a "big five" sport (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS), minor league baseball, and aren't immediately adjacent to an area that does have one of those teams:

Tucson, AZ - 875,000
Honolulu, HI - 853,000
McAllen, TX - 779,000
Colorado Springs, CO - 632,000
Baton Rouge, LA - 631,000
Albany, NY - 593,000
Bakersfield, CA - 570,000
Madison, WI - 450,000
Springfield, MA - 442,000
Boise, ID - 433,000

Granted, I did not look for independent leagues, minor leagues for other sports, and college teams, which would take some of these off the list. But even looking at Single-A, there was maybe one team that would be under 100,000 in the market (Delmarva).

Big John

^^ Colorado Springs lost their AAA minor league team not too long ago.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on September 30, 2023, 05:33:48 PM

Quote from: DTComposer on October 02, 2023, 01:03:45 PM
Here's a sampling of large urban areas who do not have a "big five" sport (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS), minor league baseball, and aren't immediately adjacent to an area that does have one of those teams:

McAllen, TX - 779,000

I agree with this one.  They'd probably go by "The Valley _______s".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2023, 01:15:39 PM

McAllen, TX - 779,000

"of the Dolls"?

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on October 02, 2023, 02:43:07 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2023, 01:15:39 PM

McAllen, TX - 779,000

"of the Dolls"?

"Girls"?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.