News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Which cities would be good for sports teams?

Started by Poiponen13, September 30, 2023, 01:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: fhmiii on October 23, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 23, 2023, 11:17:17 AM

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 23, 2023, 09:09:59 AM
Kansas City - where I live - needs an NBA and/or NHL team! We already have an arena downtown. I want to go to some games there!

Would be better if actually based in Kansas side.

I've tried to be respectful of your comments, no matter how off-the-wall they seemed, but this is just downright dirty-rotten meanness on your part.

Put the stadium next to the Kansas Speedway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DTComposer

Quote from: thspfc on October 23, 2023, 03:37:42 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 23, 2023, 02:07:16 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 23, 2023, 01:32:15 PM
Green Bay is not a small market team. Their market is Wisconsin, pop. 5.9 million. They have unwavering support throughout the state and aren't really competing with any other team (unlike, for example, the Steelers, who have to compete with the Eagles). It's just a unique situation in that the team is not based in the state's largest city.

Nearly the entire Internet disagrees with you, including the NFL's own website.  https://operations.nfl.com/learn-the-game/nfl-basics/team-histories/national-football-conference/north/green-bay-packers/

Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Tampa, New Orleans, and Cincinnati, despite being larger cities, are smaller markets than the Packers market. Denver, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Tennessee, and Minnesota are roughly the same. Still others are difficult to evaluate, such as Cleveland (dispersion of Browns vs. Bengals fans throughout Ohio), Kansas City (dispersion of fans throughout eastern Missouri since the Rams left), and Vegas (how many Bay Area, and even LA, fans still support the Raiders).

Several cities you listed here are in direct conflict with your assertion of Green Bay.  Buffalo is a small market team, but when combined with other NW NY areas and the Toronto market, they have a sizeable draw. 

On the other hand, and to your point, the New Orleans Saints, while in a reasonably sizable city, have nearly no market outside of their base city unlike most other markets.
I guess nearly the entire internet is wrong then. Wisconsin is all Packers fans everywhere, the league knows that, the networks know that, anyone who lives/has lived there knows that.

Those cities are not in direct conflict with my assertion of Green Bay (except I will give you Buffalo). Those other teams are boxed closer in by other NFL cities and do not have a whole state with the population of Wisconsin, including large metro area (i.e. Milwaukee) all to themselves. Basically what I'm saying is that the Packers market of Wisconsin is larger than, for example, the Bengals market of southwest Ohio and northern Kentucky.

This is a skosh unscientific, but if I use the "fandom" map here (yes, I know it's nine years old):
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/09/the-geography-of-nfl-fandom/379729/

And map some of the teams out using:
https://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/mapping/popest/pes-v3/

You get these approximate numbers:
Saints: 11.0 million
Steelers: 8.9 million
Buccaneers: 8.7 million
Packers: 7.1 million
Browns: 6.9 million
Bengals: 4.4 million
Bills: 2.6 million (doesn't include fans in Canada)
Jaguars: 2.3 million

Big John

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 23, 2023, 03:09:54 PM
Green Bay is not a small market team. Their market is Wisconsin, pop. 5.9 million. They have unwavering support throughout the state and aren't really competing with any other team (unlike, for example, the Steelers, who have to compete with the Eagles). It's just a unique situation in that the team is not based in the state's largest city.

Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Tampa, New Orleans, and Cincinnati, despite being larger cities, are smaller markets than the Packers market. Denver, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Tennessee, and Minnesota are roughly the same. Still others are difficult to evaluate, such as Cleveland (dispersion of Browns vs. Bengals fans throughout Ohio), Kansas City (dispersion of fans throughout eastern Missouri since the Rams left), and Vegas (how many Bay Area, and even LA, fans still support the Raiders).

Plus it wasn't uncommon for the Packers historically play a couple games in Milwaukee.  I always viewed the Packers as decidedly representative of the Milwaukee market in the NFL.
3 games a year through 1994.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: kphoger on October 23, 2023, 03:54:08 PM

Kansas City - where I live - needs an NBA and/or NHL team! We already have an arena downtown. I want to go to some games there!

I've tried to be respectful of your comments, no matter how off-the-wall they seemed, but this is just downright dirty-rotten meanness on your part.

Put the stadium in the middle of the loop of Kansas Speedway. :P
Then have a race the same day as a baseball game to create the world's most boring sports crossover event.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 23, 2023, 04:33:37 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 23, 2023, 03:54:08 PM

Put the stadium in the middle of the loop of Kansas Speedway. :P
Then have a race the same day as a baseball game to create the world's most boring sports crossover event.

Are you implying that this NBA and/or NHL team would play baseball?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

As someone who has been to Wisconsin several times in my life and have traveled through Wisconsin on a Sunday when the Packers are playing I totally agree. I've been in Madison and Eau Claire on a Sunday morning before a Packers game and everyone had Packers clothing on. Green Bay is one of those small original NFL towns that hung on simply because the entire state is their market as well as the western U.P. of Michigan. I have also been there on a Sunday before a Packers game and it's just like Wisconsin.

I'm not sure where in the U.P. the line is between the Packers and Lions though but probably somewhere in the middle.

Henry

Quote from: Big John on October 02, 2023, 08:57:15 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 02, 2023, 08:52:46 AM
Orlando could now use an NFL team since they transformed the ole Toilet Bowl into the Camping World Stadium.

That's one reason why the city council renovated the icky stadium, to hopefully attract some owner to bring a franchise to O Town.
Orlando Breakers in Coach?
Only if the Buccaneers get tired of Tampa Bay! :rofl:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on October 26, 2023, 10:31:41 PM
Orlando could now use an NFL team since they transformed the ole Toilet Bowl into the Camping World Stadium.

That's one reason why the city council renovated the icky stadium, to hopefully attract some owner to bring a franchise to O Town.

I always thought the Orlando Breakers were a stand in for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  The first two seasons of the fictional team and real team are very similar.

DandyDan

I personally speculate that once the NHL gets tired of the Coyotes playing in a college arena that Kansas City would get them, assuming Houston doesn't get them first.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Flint1979

I've been to Red Wings games at Little Caesars Arena and can't imagine watching an NHL game in a building that seats like 4,000 people.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 27, 2023, 08:08:12 AM
I've been to Red Wings games at Little Caesars Arena and can't imagine watching an NHL game in a building that seats like 4,000 people.
That's hockey in the Sun Belt for you.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Henry

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 26, 2023, 11:29:54 PM

I always thought the Orlando Breakers were a stand in for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  The first two seasons of the fictional team and real team are very similar.
Now that you bring that tidbit up, I do recall the wildcard game the Breakers played against the Buffalo Bills from the final season of the show, and it does make sense that they would be substituted for the Jaguars in this alternate timeline, as in real life, the Jags' playoff debut also came against the Bills in the same round. While it would be nice to have an NFL team in Orlando, I still maintain that it will never happen as long as the Buccaneers remain in Tampa (after all, it is their territory too!).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 27, 2023, 09:26:34 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 27, 2023, 08:08:12 AM
That's hockey in the Sun Belt for you.
A couple teams seem to do ok in the South but it's not for every market. I personally think the Coyotes should have moved 20 years ago as it was pretty obvious it wasn't going to work out back then. They shouldn't have ever left Winnipeg and at that point the Thrashers could have moved to a different city.

Big John

Quote from: Henry on October 27, 2023, 10:52:34 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 26, 2023, 11:29:54 PM

Now that you bring that tidbit up, I do recall the wildcard game the Breakers played against the Buffalo Bills from the final season of the show, and it does make sense that they would be substituted for the Jaguars in this alternate timeline, as in real life, the Jags' playoff debut also came against the Bills in the same round. While it would be nice to have an NFL team in Orlando, I still maintain that it will never happen as long as the Buccaneers remain in Tampa (after all, it is their territory too!).
They also had an episode where they beat the Packers at Lambeau Field.  This was during the time the Packers had a long actual home winning streak.

Poiponen13

In major leagues of "new sports", such as volleyball, team handball, water polo and floorball, maybe some teams would be located in samller markets such as Kalispell, Lakeland, Hagerstown, Roanoke, Honolulu, Fairbanks, Medicine Hat and Thunder Bay. They would be like Hoffenheim in German soccer - a very small place with very big team.

Hunty2022

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 29, 2023, 02:35:55 PM
In major leagues of "new sports", such as volleyball, team handball, water polo and floorball, maybe some teams would be located in samller markets such as Kalispell, Lakeland, Hagerstown, Roanoke, Honolulu, Fairbanks, Medicine Hat and Thunder Bay. They would be like Hoffenheim in German soccer - a very small place with very big team.

I really feel like Stanardsville, VA should have a team in that league. It would create a rivalry with Roanoke. Give the small town an NFL team for the fun of it.

Call the team the Stanardsville Golden Horseshoes.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Scott5114

Medicine Hat

A new league should be started that only admits towns with names of hats in them. Medicine Hat AB, Mexican Hat UT, Hatboro PA, and Fez, Morocco would all play in this league.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 30, 2023, 12:55:17 AM
Medicine Hat

A new league should be started that only admits towns with names of hats in them. Medicine Hat AB, Mexican Hat UT, Hatboro PA, and Fez, Morocco would all play in this league.

There's a Hatfield, Massachusetts along the I-91 corridor. It would be a good place for a team because all the universities in the area would provide talent for the team.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 30, 2023, 12:55:17 AM
Medicine Hat

The French seaside town of Cap d'Agde lends itself to all sorts of mildly titillating notions in this respect.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

Derby, NY

Chatham MA, MI and ON

Chattanooga, TN

Big John

cockroachking

Hatfield, PA
Chatham, NY
Great Cacapon, WV
Capitol Heights, MD
Toukley, NSW, Australia
Trilby, FL
Garrison, NY
Garrisonville, VA
Stetson, ME
Ascot, UK
Ascot Corner, QC

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! the Troll on October 29, 2023, 02:35:55 PM

You're really just an idiot now, aren't you?

Why on earth would sports that are already unpopular be more likely to survive in smaller markets?  The supposed fan base is already smaller by virtue of the city size, and now you're going to reduce that to nil by having the sport be one that nobody in that city cares about.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

I don't think a small city necessarily means a small market. For example, a hypothetical Xenia team in the Alphabet League would have the fanbases of Cincinnati, Columbus, and Dayton, which is a decent size.

Lakeland makes perfect sense for someone who wants both the Tampa and Orlando markets.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on October 30, 2023, 02:25:32 PM
I don't think a small city necessarily means a small market. For example, a hypothetical Xenia team in the Alphabet League would have the fanbases of Cincinnati, Columbus, and Dayton, which is a decent size.

Lakeland makes perfect sense for someone who wants both the Tampa and Orlando markets.

My suspicion is that such teams would end up being named the Cincinnati ____ or the Columbus ____ rather than the Xenia ____, and the Tampa ____ or the Orlando ____ rather than the Lakeland ____, just with stadiums that are a bit far out from the city.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.