News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

RMCA Show 9/21 - 9/22

Started by jon daly, September 10, 2018, 09:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you collect maps?

Yes
5 (83.3%)
No
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

jon daly

Not sure where to put this, so may as well put it in OT.

Google's telling mne that the RMCA site may be hacked so I'm posting this link:

https://www.aacamuseum.org/road-map-collectors-association-show/

I'm sort of getting into collecting maps as a hobby, but I'm not a member; nor will I go to this event. I do see some crossover between map collectors and roadgeeks here when I search the term RMCA.

How much crossover is there between the two hobbies?

Does the RMCA have regional meets?

Do car culture folks collect maps? There are a number of car shows near me I have a number of duplicates from the late 60s and think that they'd be a perfect accessory for a muscle car's glove compartment.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Back when cartographic data was hard to show online, I collected more maps (15-20 years ago). With more maps online and my computers more able to handle said data, I'm not as interested in collecting maps as I was (because I can see/find the history online).

As for the RMCA, they do one national meet a year. When I was first aware of them (back in the heyday of MTR), their once-a-year meets were always held in Hammond, Indiana. About 10-12 years ago, the RMCA started taking their show on the road. They've tried Dallas, Indianapolis, Columbus for a couple of years, Chattanooga, and this year Hershey. There are other regional meets, but they are not sponsored by the RMCA (in fact the RMCA road shows are basically "nationalizing" what are regional meets all other times)

When I attended RMCA meets, they held in a gym, mostly to swap maps and you could could get anything for a nickel to a couple of dollars. Now, after dealing with Ebay and American Pickers, I couldn't tell you how much maps go for, but I'm sure its more than what I could pay for 18 years ago.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jon daly

I found a shop near me that sells them for $2 or 3 for $5. These aren't in the best of condition, but they work for me. I just picked up a CT turnpike guide, a 1957 official CT state map, a 1968 CT state map, and a SOHIO map of Wisconsin that might be over 75 years old. I have to look at the codes to determine that age, but its up there.

jon daly

PS - I did not know that there were regional meets. I've been thinking of joining and/or perhaps doing a presentation at a local library about some of my maps.

jon daly

Quote from: jon daly on September 11, 2018, 06:38:35 AM
I found a shop near me that sells them for $2 or 3 for $5. These aren't in the best of condition, but they work for me. I just picked up a CT turnpike guide, a 1957 official CT state map, a 1968 CT state map, and a SOHIO map of Wisconsin that might be over 75 years old. I have to look at the codes to determine that age, but its up there.

It was actually a 1947 Rand McNally. Oddly enough, the nat'l map didn't show any existing turnpikes or parkways; just US Routes. The cover had an icebox gas station and cars that the PT Cruiser tried to emulate.

Other maps from that haul that I haven't mentioned include a 1967 Atlantic Map of the US. The cartographer was Diversified and that paperstock was different than what I'm used to. And I also picked up a 1966 Phillips 66 map of the eastern US. This one may be my first Gousha.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jon daly on September 11, 2018, 12:05:43 PM
PS - I did not know that there were regional meets. I've been thinking of joining and/or perhaps doing a presentation at a local library about some of my maps.

I sort of misspoke in reference to regional meets. RMCA was piggybacking from other regional gas & petroliana meets when they took "their show" on the road (in most cases)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 11, 2018, 09:34:22 PM

I sort of misspoke in reference to regional meets. RMCA was piggybacking from other regional gas & petroliana meets when they took "their show" on the road (in most cases)

Last year we piggybacked with a gas/petroliana meet. In the past, we have also piggybacked with vintage paper.  Some members regularly attend petroliana meets, but they're not "official" RMCA gatherings (to my knowledge)

I just checked the website and it seems to be working fine.

IF you're in the area come have a look around.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jon daly

Quote from: US71 on September 11, 2018, 10:21:14 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 11, 2018, 09:34:22 PM

Last year we piggybacked with a gas/petroliana meet. In the past, we have also piggybacked with vintage paper.  Some members regularly attend petroliana meets, but they're not "official" RMCA gatherings (to my knowledge)

I just checked the website and it seems to be working fine.

IF you're in the area come have a look around.

Thanks for the invite, but I'll be home in New England that weekend.  Because of my hankering for old maps, I joined Old Gas's forum. They have a few there who are into oil company maps, but the focus seems to be on old pumps and other physical petroliana. (I think that some of the signs are great, but I have nowhere to display them.) I hadn't thought about roadmaps as vintage paper. Years ago I went to Papermania in Hartford. I'm not sure what else was there, but a bought an old stock certificate and an old magazine ad.

jon daly

PS - I'm glad that you responded here, US71. When I search RMCA here your name comes up the most. I'd appreciate a recap of the show if you are able and willing to provide one.

US71

Quote from: jon daly on September 12, 2018, 07:16:56 AM
PS - I'm glad that you responded here, US71. When I search RMCA here your name comes up the most. I'd appreciate a recap of the show if you are able and willing to provide one.

I'll see what I can do. Last year we had 8-10 members selling from small collectors like myself to expansive selections.  A lot of my stuff comes from e-bay and flea markets, but a few members frequent estate sales.

jon daly

FWIW, Papermania Plus comes back to Hartford Jan 5-6. I may visit that. My map interest does extend beyond road maps.

jon daly

US71

Quote from: jon daly on September 23, 2018, 08:08:07 PM
So, did anyone go?
I did.

We had about 20 vendors. Sales were generally slow since it cost $10 to enter the museum (though vouchers were supposed to be handed out for $10 worth of free maps from the association's map boxes). The directors are already working on improving next years gathering by promoting it more (same location)

jon daly

I picked up 3 maps at my local antique shop. The cream of the crop was a 1966 Rand McNally Road Atlas and Travel Guide. It covered all of North America and included maps and info of Nat'l Parks, city maps, and 22 sectional maps of the US and Canada. It was in a Baldwin-Cooke case.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.