News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Iowa Notes

Started by paulthemapguy, March 23, 2018, 10:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Per a semi-recent public meeting, a study is underway which could result in removal of the two interchanges on US 34 in Ottumwa west of the river.  https://www.news.iowadot.gov/pim/2019/08/us-34-wapello-county-august-27.html/

mgk920

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 02, 2019, 07:16:07 AM
Quote from: M86 on October 02, 2019, 12:43:03 AM
Has Iowa finally ditched the wooden posts they use for signage?

Many of the new signs at the US-65/IA-117/330 interchange use wooden posts, so I'm going to guess not.

Wood sign posts are still S.O.P. here in Wisconsin, too.

Mike

iowahighways

The US 30 bypass of Mount Vernon and Lisbon opened last Friday: https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/highway-30-bypass-lisbon-mount-vernon-20191122

Also, the SPUI between IA 27/58 and Viking Road in Cedar Falls opened November 10: https://wcfcourier.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/highway-viking-interchange-open-today/article_89be142e-97c3-501a-b1cf-8e2d91edaaff.html. This takes one intersection out of the Avenue of the Saints.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Zmapper

The Iowa City area has a new freeway exit on I-380. Exit 2, Forevergreen Road, opened a few months ago in advance of some detours that IDOT will need to do for I-80/I-380 interchange construction.

The interchange is a typical diamond; the lands surrounding the interchange are likely to develop in the next few years.

PastTense

Early winter weather forces Iowa DOT to halt work on Highway 52 project in Dubuque County
QuoteA road project in Dubuque County has come to a screeching halt due to the recent cold weather and snowfall.

The Iowa Department of Transportation is on its first of four phases of improving Highway 52 between Sageville and Luxemburg. This summer, it constructed a roundabout at the intersection of Holy Cross Road and Highway 52 and began to pave the highway from that intersection to Rickardsville. However, crews weren't able to finish paving on 52 before the ground froze.
https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Early-winter-weather-forces-Iowa-DOT-to-halt-work-on-Highway-52-project-565005042.html

Are there many roundabouts in Iowa?

kphoger

Quote from: PastTense on December 10, 2019, 11:44:30 PM

Johnston has a bunch of them.

This five-mile driving route from Walgreens to Menards will take you through no fewer than nine roundabouts.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2019, 11:09:57 AM
This five-mile driving route from Walgreens to Menards will take you through no fewer than nine roundabouts.

And considering the number of multi-lane roundabouts present on said trip, I'm sure it would induce heart attacks in a handful of forum members. ;-)

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 11, 2019, 11:46:19 AM

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2019, 11:09:57 AM

And considering the number of multi-lane roundabouts present on said trip, I'm sure it would induce heart attacks in a handful of forum members. ;-)

Oh, believe me, I think of this forum whenever I'm there.  However, none of them is a true 2x2 roundabout, as the side street always gets one circulating lane.  The closest you get along that route is the one at 100th St & 70th Ave, where three of the four quadrants has two circulating lanes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Breaking  74 Bridge  construction halted. Worked tested positive for Covid. KWQC TV

DandyDan

Quote from: PastTense on December 10, 2019, 11:44:30 PM
Early winter weather forces Iowa DOT to halt work on Highway 52 project in Dubuque County
QuoteA road project in Dubuque County has come to a screeching halt due to the recent cold weather and snowfall.

The Iowa Department of Transportation is on its first of four phases of improving Highway 52 between Sageville and Luxemburg. This summer, it constructed a roundabout at the intersection of Holy Cross Road and Highway 52 and began to pave the highway from that intersection to Rickardsville. However, crews weren't able to finish paving on 52 before the ground froze.
https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Early-winter-weather-forces-Iowa-DOT-to-halt-work-on-Highway-52-project-565005042.html

Cedar Falls has a number of them on University Avenue, which used to be US 218 before the current freeway north out of Waterloo was built.

The only one I am aware of on the Iowa highway system is the intersection of Highway 3 and Highway 187 south of Arlington, next to Starmont High School.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Highway63

The keystone for one of the two I-74 bridges was put in place earlier this month.

STLmapboy

Have any of y'all Iowa roadgeeks seen the monstrous art installation on 24th St at 29/80 in Council Bluffs? It's four weird sculptures with pointy metal scraps. Some reviewers on Google seem to be less than pleased with it, likening it to something out of Mad Max or Edward Scissorhands. It's also compared to the Transformers villains and plane crash rubble.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

skluth

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 09, 2020, 02:26:17 PM
Have any of y'all Iowa roadgeeks seen the monstrous art installation on 24th St at 29/80 in Council Bluffs? It's four weird sculptures with pointy metal scraps. Some reviewers on Google seem to be less than pleased with it, likening it to something out of Mad Max or Edward Scissorhands. It's also compared to the Transformers villains and plane crash rubble.

OMG. I just Googled this. I normally like most public art, even when it's dumb and kitschy like Cadillac Ranch or this clever bus bench on Snelling Ave on the Mpls/STP border. Art like this turns people against the government paying for art projects. The only way this art is a success is if the competition was for something that is just plain butt-ugly.

Link for those who haven't seen this atrocity yet.

STLmapboy

Quote from: skluth on July 10, 2020, 12:34:54 PM

OMG. I just Googled this. I normally like most public art, even when it's dumb and kitschy like Cadillac Ranch or this clever bus bench on Snelling Ave on the Mpls/STP border. Art like this turns people against the government paying for art projects. The only way this art is a success is if the competition was for something that is just plain butt-ugly.

Link for those who haven't seen this atrocity yet.

A local Omaha news station getting locals' opinions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkvtcgAqVQ8
Personally, I think it's just bizarre. It's kinda like the red-eyed demonic blue horse (Blucifer) at Denver Airport, except Blucifer actually is shaped like something.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

DandyDan

That's Council Bluffs for you. They have a magical ability to turn anything tacky there. There's a reason Omaha people like to call it Counciltucky.

They also made some terrible public art out of the Broadway (old US 6) bridge over the UP railroad tracks.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

triplemultiplex

I thought it was rather badass.  It looks like a pile of guns and ammo belts; the locals should love it!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Highway63

According to e-mails sent out yesterday and today, the opening of the eastbound I-80 to northbound I-380 flyover ramp, knocking out the biggest trouble spot of the original cloverleaf, will take place next week.

The new EB 80 to SB 218 ramp opened a little while ago, basically just getting it out of the way. Next week's work will close another loop in the cloverleaf, too: NB 218 to WB 80 (under the flyover) will have to go up to Forevergreen Road and turn around.

sparker

Quote from: Highway63 on December 17, 2020, 01:27:03 PM
According to e-mails sent out yesterday and today, the opening of the eastbound I-80 to northbound I-380 flyover ramp, knocking out the biggest trouble spot of the original cloverleaf, will take place next week.

The new EB 80 to SB 218 ramp opened a little while ago, basically just getting it out of the way. Next week's work will close another loop in the cloverleaf, too: NB 218 to WB 80 (under the flyover) will have to go up to Forevergreen Road and turn around.

Question: is that a permanent situation, or is a NB 218>WB 80 flyover in the works?

pianocello

Quote from: sparker on December 21, 2020, 10:59:26 PM
Quote from: Highway63 on December 17, 2020, 01:27:03 PM

Question: is that a permanent situation, or is a NB 218>WB 80 flyover in the works?

It's temporary. When all is said and done, there will be a full turbine interchange there.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

rte66man

I see an adjacent quarry. Can't get any better than that for saving on freight.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Revive 755

Multiple articles online indicating the speed cameras on I-80 at the Iowa end of the Mississippi River Bridge will start issuing tickets March 4.

https://www.kwqc.com/2021/01/06/new-speed-cameras-go-live-in-leclaire/

zzcarp

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 17, 2021, 01:15:06 PM
Multiple articles online indicating the speed cameras on I-80 at the Iowa end of the Mississippi River Bridge will start issuing tickets March 4.

Revenuers gotta revenue.
So many miles and so many roads

FrCorySticha

Quote from: zzcarp on January 17, 2021, 02:27:26 PM

Revenuers gotta revenue.
But it's all about safety. After all, there have been "more than 300 crashes in the area over the past decade." Let's put up this money-making device safety device over 30 crashes a year.

SSOWorld

Quote from: FrCorySticha on January 17, 2021, 06:25:43 PM
Quote from: zzcarp on January 17, 2021, 02:27:26 PM

Revenuers gotta revenue.
But it's all about safety. After all, there have been "more than 300 crashes in the area over the past decade." Let's put up this money-making device safety device over 30 crashes a year.
Certainly been seeing this crap going up all over the state - including on I-380 in CRapids.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

iowahighways

Bumping this thread to note that the new four-lane segment of US 30 in Tama County opened today: https://www.tamatoledonews.com/news/local-news/2021/06/03/highway-30-expansion-opens-in-tama-county/
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.