News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where are the majority of your sign/road pics from?

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 16, 2018, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Hopefully interesting responses.....

I started taking sign pics in 2013, 5 years in I've noticed most of my pics are from either NYC or Baltimore, MD.  I thought it would be CT since that is where I reside.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

MNHighwayMan

Mostly Minnesota and Iowa. That majority is about 50/50 between the two states, although right now there's slightly more Minnesota pictures than Iowa pictures. I also have a few dozen pictures from Missouri, another few dozen from Wisconsin, three pictures from Illinois, and a single picture I took in North Dakota almost seven years ago.

AsphaltPlanet

The vast majority of my photos are from Ontario... which makes sense, it's both where I live, and it's a pretty geographically large province.

Second to that, is probably Quebec and then California.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

oscar

There are the photos I take specifically for the city name/street name games in Traffic Control. Those tilt pretty heavily to the D.C. suburbs (mainly Virginia's), but include some taken on any of my recent road trips, including the one I'm on now.

There are Alaska and Hawaii photos, and some older Puerto Rico photos from 2002 and Newfoundland/Labrador in 2003 and 2011, intended for my websites. Also, I take many photos for my reports on this forum, on some of my road trips in the outer edges of North America.

I think I have at least a few road sign photos from every state in the U.S. and D.C., as well as every province or territory in Canada.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

The common states for me would be:

1.  California
2.  Arizona
3.  Florida
4.  Nevada
4a.  Utah
6.  Michigan
7.  Washington
8.  New Mexico

I have road photos from pretty much all the Continental United States but there tends to be an emphasis on places I've lived, worked, visited National Parks in, and where family is located which has a wide net.

hotdogPi

1. Massachusetts
2. Georgia
3. New Hampshire
4. Vermont
5. Arizona (2 photos)
6. Illinois (1 photo)

There is no majority; Massachusetts is under 50%.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

MNHighwayMan

I've been to more than half of the states in my lifetime, (lots of family road trips between 8 and 15 years old!) but taking road pictures is something that's only become an interest of mine (much less even possible, given that I didn't really own a camera until I owned my first smartphone back in 2010) in the last five years or so. Adding more states to my collection is kind of a priority of mine–obviously the easiest targets right now are Nebraska, Kansas, and South Dakota. I have a goal of adding one or more of those, in any capacity, at some point this year yet, but I currently don't have anything planned concretely.

TheHighwayMan3561

1. Minnesota
2. Wisconsin

Then everywhere else. Maine is probably #3 but I have limited access to those photos so...
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Obviously Kentucky, since that's where I'm from, but I have a healthy collection from a number of other states. Lots from West Virginia and Virginia, and lesser amounts from other states.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Top 10 of my states on Flickr: Florida, Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and New York.

I either live(d) there or travel a lot at these locations.

froggie

I do not have any one location/state/region that can claim the majority of my road-related photos.  The state that can claim the highest percentage of my road photos (Virginia) comes in at just under 19%.

This is not to say that I haven't taken many pics...as of the end of 2017, and not including iPad/iPhone/film photos, I've taken over 120,000.  I've taken road photos in 47 states (plus DC), 1 US territory, 4 Canadian provinces, and 11 countries outside of North America.  I just don't have any one region where I've taken over 50% of my photos.

vdeane

Looking at what's on my website (which is the vast majority of what I've taken):

stateCOUNT(`file`)
NY5032
PA944
MD789
NJ644
QC618
VA447
VT400
CT365
WV304
NH175
NC152
MA129
AL125
ON100
TN90
DE89
GA82
SC57
ME29
DC5

I'm not surprised that PA came in second, given that it's been a major feature in most of my out of state roadtrips the past couple years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.