News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-35 gets expanded and new exits in south Austin

Started by longhorn, June 29, 2016, 02:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhorn

First things first, this is lipstick on pig, but since a whole sale rebuilding of I-35 such as has been done to I-10 through Katy and Houston will never happen this is the best hoped for................though we were hoping for more.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/four-year-i-35-overhaul-at-william-cannonstassney-/nrpmq/

Anthony_JK

If this is all they are going to do, they might as well go ahead and buy out the tolls on SH 45 and SH 130 and reroute I-35 through there, and make the current I-35 either a business route or return US 81. Then again, that would ignite the usual New Urbanist deadenders to totally wreck current I-35 down to a 4-lane boulevard....

kphoger

Not too bad. And at least they chose the right stretch to focus on: it's where I've always experienced the thickest traffic.

But, for me, the best solutions to driving through Austin have come by way of two things over the last two years: (1) using TX-130 all the way from Georgetown to San Antonio, and (2) taking US-277 all the way through Texas instead of I-35 and crossing the border at Del Rio rather than Laredo.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Marc

Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 29, 2016, 11:45:20 PM
Then again, that would ignite the usual New Urbanist deadenders to totally wreck current I-35 down to a 4-lane boulevard....
Nah, it would be converted to urban rail. Perhaps a gondola system. That's the latest thing they're touting. Don't ask.

Bobby5280

They'll stick "Hyperloop" tubes along the route and make it cost 10 times what an expanded freeway would have cost. Hell, they don't even need Elon Musk's idea for that. The 10 fold price increase can happen with ordinary passenger rail lines!

silverback1065

I don't think new urbanist ideology would fly in texas

TXtoNJ

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 02, 2016, 11:20:21 AM

Check out Mueller in Austin. It's already there.

AlexandriaVA

aboges26

Quote from: TXtoNJ on August 02, 2016, 01:50:15 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on August 02, 2016, 11:20:21 AM

Check out Mueller in Austin. It's already there.

And Vintage Township in Lubbock.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.