News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

__________ is/are properly rated

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 10, 2022, 01:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Coca Cola given it is adequate for when you are thirsty and need something with a little of caffeine it.  The taste is inoffensive, adequate and reliably familiar.  I like a lot of other drinks more and a lot of other drinks a whole lot less.   

JayhawkCO

Colorado in general. Maybe not the best state, but I think everyone rates it pretty highly.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Flanges
Virgules
Pasta
Dog noses
Leaving exactly two spaces between the other seated person when there is exactly three to spare.

roadman65

This day and age it's hard to rate something at the right place on the scale.

Alaska is pretty on scale in ratings. 
Kansas is good, especially their off freeway roads.
The Virgin Islands.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

bottled barbecue sauce
the DMV
Merlot
Greyhound
freshly ground pepper
DDIs
sweet potato fries
the major seventh chord
charcuterie boards
FritzOwl
dark chocolate
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Puppies
Wawa coffee
Four-lane arterials
Ayrton Senna
Belgian ales
Frasier
Albert Pujols
Honda
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

thspfc

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

kphoger

Quote from: kurumi on May 10, 2022, 06:25:31 PM

Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2022, 02:05:12 PM
The Beatles

+0

It's perfectly understandable to not like the Beatles' music.  And I don't understand the mobs of screaming girls at the concerts drowning out the music either.  But there are certain things that just can't be denied.

For one thing, pretty much every album had multiple chart-topping hits.  How many other bands could you say that about?  You might not be as crazy about the songs as everyone else apparently was, but you must admit that the Beatles consistently made music that a lot of people really liked for a good number of years.  Play any track from any Beatles album, and I'd say there's more than a 50% chance it's a well-known song–something I don't think I could claim about any other band.

And then there's the number of other artists, from multiple genres, who have publicly stated that the Beatles were a big influence on their own development as musicians.  Again, you might think their music isn't worth all the hype, but its influence in the world of popular music has been deep and far-reaching.

Especially for those two reasons, I think the Beatles are properly rated.
Male pronouns, please.

kurumi

Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 09:18:40 PM
Quote from: kurumi on May 10, 2022, 06:25:31 PM

Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2022, 02:05:12 PM
The Beatles

+0

It's perfectly understandable to not like the Beatles' music.  And I don't understand the mobs of screaming girls at the concerts drowning out the music either.  But there are certain things that just can't be denied.

For one thing, pretty much every album had multiple chart-topping hits.  How many other bands could you say that about?  You might not be as crazy about the songs as everyone else apparently was, but you must admit that the Beatles consistently made music that a lot of people really liked for a good number of years.  Play any track from any Beatles album, and I'd say there's more than a 50% chance it's a well-known song–something I don't think I could claim about any other band.

And then there's the number of other artists, from multiple genres, who have publicly stated that the Beatles were a big influence on their own development as musicians.  Again, you might think their music isn't worth all the hype, but its influence in the world of popular music has been deep and far-reaching.

Especially for those two reasons, I think the Beatles are properly rated.

I think we're in agreement (the intent of "+0": they are properly rated as one of the most important artists in rock and no adjustment is needed).

Early Beatles was really poppy, though you could still see the songwriting talent there. And later Beatles... hard to believe "I am the Walrus", "Happiness is a Warm Gun", and "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" is from the same band as "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". They really bucked the trend as artists who got more interesting as time went on.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kurumi on May 10, 2022, 10:31:33 PM
Early Beatles was really poppy, though you could still see the songwriting talent there. And later Beatles... hard to believe "I am the Walrus", "Happiness is a Warm Gun", and "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" is from the same band as "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". They really bucked the trend as artists who got more interesting as time went on.

They're one of the rare bands that whether intended or not didn't outlive its original shelf life. Sure, Let It Be wasn't *quite* as good as some of their other later material, but it was still better than most artists' best albums. There wasn't some clunker 70s-80s-90s period after the band ran out of magic that people look back on and go "what the hell was that crap they put out?" It was pretty clear by 1968 that the three main songwriters all had such irreconcilable differences in their music and personalities that they needed to go their own ways.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

I mentioned it before, in some other thread, but most people are either an early-Beatles fan or a later-Beatles fan.  It's more rare (but not exceedingly so) to find someone who loves both.
Male pronouns, please.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2022, 09:21:00 AM

I mentioned it before, in some other thread, but most people are either an early-Beatles fan or a later-Beatles fan.  It's more rare (but not exceedingly so) to find someone who loves both.

Put me on the both list.

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2022, 09:21:00 AM

Personally, I enjoy both.  Along with both early Rolling Stones and later Rolling Stones.  Early vs later, nor Beatles vs Rolling Stones, need to be mutually exclusive, at least as far as my musical tastes go.

JoePCool14

I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread cropped up.

My first pick for now: Illinois (most people seem to hate it, which I think is appropriate)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2022, 09:30:54 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2022, 01:08:50 AM

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 19, 2022, 11:43:56 PM
Arby's curly fries.

Actually, curly fries in general.

You think they're overrated, I think they're underrated.

Maybe they're properly rated.

Agreed.  Curly fries are awesome, and that's just how they're generally rated.

Count me in the "properly rated"  camp on curly fries.  They taste exotic when I haven't had them in awhile and run of the mill when I have copious access to places to serve them. 

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.