Has Anyone Ever Clinched I-40?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, September 19, 2018, 05:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I have done I-40 from Tucumcari, NM to Kingman, AZ missing two segments.  One is in Albuquerque and the other from the Petrified Forest to where US 180 joins the freeway.  Then I have done it in Oklahoma in the eastern part  as well as Knoxville (including the I-75 overlap), Asheville, and Raleigh.

I-70 I have done from its western terminus to Denver, from Limon, CO to Vandalia, IL (minus its old alignment in St. Louis), the I-57 overlap,  I did it through Indianapolis, and from I-71 to the PA Turnpike.

I-10 I have done parts in TX, such as San Antonio from Downtown to Six Flags, from Winnie, TX to its eastern terminus in Jax, and parts in California such as from the PCH in Santa Monica to the I-5 interchange, and from Upland to Colton.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

I have clinched I-70.

I have clinched a lot of I-40.  Missing sections in Arizona and North Carolina, but everywhere else is done.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bassoon1986

For the major east-west interstates, I-10 is the one I have the most mileage. From Houston to Lake City, FL. For I-40 I have Albuquerque to Amarillo and Fort Smith to the other side of Knoxville

iPhone

ce929wax

I have Gallup, NM to Wilmington, NC.  I am just missing California, Arizona, and New Mexico before Exit 20.

US 89

I have five different segments of I-40 done: one from Williams to Flagstaff AZ, one from Gallup to Albuquerque, one from Clines Corners to Santa Rosa, one from I-44 to I-35 in Oklahoma City, and one near Wilmington NC.

As for other transcontinental interstates:

I have I-80 from San Francisco (a mile east of the terminus) all the way to I-25 in Cheyenne.

I have I-70 from I-15 to US 50/89 at Salina, then from US 6/191 in Green River to I-76 in Denver. I also have the short bit between I-225 and Pena Blvd in Denver. And then I have the part between I-670 and I-64, plus the I-55 concurrency in IL between I-64 and I-255.

I-90 is covered from I-5 to I-82 in WA, and then from US 93 to I-15 in MT.

I-20 I just have two small sections: the US 287 concurrency near Dallas, and the US 84 concurrency west of Abilene.

I-10 I have between I-37 and Houston, as well as another piece within downtown Houston.

And I-30 I have between Fort Worth and Dallas.

slorydn1

I-10 I need from US-231 exit near Cottondale, FL to the I-20 interchange in TX, and then from I-25 in Las Cruces to its western terminus.

I have a significant percentage of I-20 in the bag, I really just need from the I-30 interchange near Fort Worth to the I-75/I-85 interchange in Atlanta to finish that up (yeah I know not a true coast to coast but hey why not, right?).

Oh and yes, little insignificant I-30 is clinched.

For I-40 I still need the section from I-25 in Albuquerque west to I-15 in Barstow to clinch. I did from I-25 east to US-70 in Garner NC in one 2 day sitting in 2011. I have been between Raleigh and Wilmington numerous times previously.

I-70 i am real cloudy on. I know I have from I-270 in the west St Louis suburbs to the I-55 split near Troy Illinois as it existed in the 1980's. I have not been across the new I-70 bridge as it is configured now, and I am not sure if I have from between Troy IL and Effingham. I do know that I have been from Effingham east to at least Frederick MD, not real sure if I have been between Frederick and Baltimore on I-70. I for sure have not been west of I-270 in St Louis on I-70.

I-80 from I-280 in western IL to Ft Lee NJ is done, I need everything west of there.

I-90 from Madison Wisconsin to the OH-2 interchange in Cleveland is done, I need both sides of that yet.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

I've been on I-40 between Wilmington, NC and Knoxville, TN but that's it. The only interstates I've clinched in their entirety have been 3-di's (so far).
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

MikieTimT

Quote from: LM117 on September 25, 2018, 07:30:21 AM
I've been on I-40 between Wilmington, NC and Knoxville, TN but that's it. The only interstates I've clinched in their entirety have been 3-di's (so far).

And that's the only section of I-40 I haven't clinched.  I live in Arkansas as well and have done all of it from I-15 to I-81 on 2 separate trips.  That stretch looks like it'd be pretty scenic too, so maybe one of these days I'll have a hankering to vacation to a North Carolina beach and knock it out.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 25, 2018, 08:57:32 AM
Quote from: LM117 on September 25, 2018, 07:30:21 AM

And that's the only section of I-40 I haven't clinched.  I live in Arkansas as well and have done all of it from I-15 to I-81 on 2 separate trips.  That stretch looks like it'd be pretty scenic too, so maybe one of these days I'll have a hankering to vacation to a North Carolina beach and knock it out.
Sounds like fun!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

cl94

I have clinched I-70 and I-90. Can't get any longer than I-90.

I-40 is one I doubt I'll ever get to. Mainly because of the stuff in NC.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

plain

For I-40, I'm missing literally everything west of I-30, but clinched everything east of it.

Looks like the longest 2di I've completely clinched is I-85.
Newark born, Richmond bred

kphoger

Even though I live only 2½ hours from I-40–I've somehow only managed to be on an 8-mile stretch in OKC (several times), plus Kingman to Albuquerque in high school.

ETA:  Oh, and a 27-mile stretch in Tennessee.  Man, my I-40 map is really disjointed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ATLRedSoxFan

I driven the 40/85 concurrency in NC, then I-40 from Ashville, NC to Kingman, AZ.

SectorZ

My experience is quite limited. Only driven on the TN stretch, exits 407 (TN 66) to 421 (I-81).

Mapmikey

I have driven I-40 from Albuquerque to Amarillo and everything from Little Rock to Wilmington, NC; plus a few miles around Flagstaff.

I have been a passenger on I-40: Kingman to Williams in AZ; Flagstaff to Holbrook in AZ; Petrified Forest to Albuquerque; Amarillo to Little Rock

If the weather cooperates in January I will drive all of I-40 from Little Rock to Barstow.

epzik8

I've clinched I-70, even though it only makes it to Utah. I live sort of near its Baltimore eastern terminus. I first tackled between Maryland exits 91 and 83 (in that direction) in 1997, then MD 83-52 in 2005, MD 52-29 in 2006, MD 29-18 in early 2008, and MD exit 18 all the way to St. Louis, Missouri over two consecutive days later in 2008. Then I got the rest on a summer 2009 RV trip: St. Louis to I-29/35 on the first day after flying from Baltimore to St. Louis via Charlotte, and some days later, I hit up the western terminus at Cove Fort, Utah after taking I-15 from Provo. Stayed near the Arches that night; Breckenridge, Colorado the next night; WaKeeney, Kansas (exactly halfway in between Denver and Kansas City) the night after that, and at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City the final night before trading in the RV for a rental car, driving back to St. Louis and flying the return St. Louis-Charlotte-Baltimore flights. I think it was still 2009 when I really made it official and drove that little segment from the I-695 stack to the parking lot just past Security Boulevard.

As for I-40, I've been on all but its westernmost 12 miles in Arkansas, from the Mississippi River bridge to I-65 in Nashville and from TN-66 to I-81 in Tennessee, a few miles in the Asheville, North Carolina area (up to the I-26 split), and from the U.S. 117 Connector to its eastern terminus in Wilmington, North Carolina.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on September 20, 2018, 11:12:37 AM
Quote from: sparker on September 19, 2018, 06:17:56 PM
I'd have I-90 in the bag as well except for one measly little section between I-87 and US 20 at Exit #2 on the MassPike.  Close but no cigar!

In my case, at one point I actually had all of I-90 between Rochester, MN and Boston, MA - except for the very segment closest to my location (this segment) !!

I have at last clinched that stretch now, as well as the segment between I-35 and Rapid City, so the segment between Rochester, MN (US 52) and I-35 is my new glaring omission.
Dang man that's awfully close to Rochester for you to be missing that lol. If I lived in Rochester and was missing that I'd go clinch it tonight haha. I honestly have I-90 clinched between Boston and Rochester, MN but nothing else west of there; I finally got to clinch all of Ohio's stretch of I-90 a few weeks ago going between Chicago and Cleveland. I also have I-80 clinched in Ohio as well with that clinch a few weeks ago.

Flint1979

I have some of I-40 clinched but nothing significant really. Nothing west of Little Rock and my trips have been Nashville to Memphis, Memphis to Little Rock and I-77 to Winston-Salem. I think I'd rather take I-10 or I-40 across the country vs. I-80 or I-90.

amroad17

I have driven every mile of I-40 between 1999-2007 on my different deliveries when I drove for an expediting company out of Cincinnati.  I have also clinched I-80 during the same time frame.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

MikieTimT

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 10, 2018, 12:29:43 AM
I have some of I-40 clinched but nothing significant really. Nothing west of Little Rock and my trips have been Nashville to Memphis, Memphis to Little Rock and I-77 to Winston-Salem. I think I'd rather take I-10 or I-40 across the country vs. I-80 or I-90.

It's getting to be the time of year you really would rather take I-10 or I-40, as parts of I-80 and I-90 are getting into snowchain season shortly.

capt.ron

Only section I lack is from Nashville, TN to Wilmington, NC. Everything else has been clinched.

skluth

I've been on most of I-40. Missing the stretch from OKC to Fort Smith, AR, and everything SE of Raleigh.

Roadwarriors79

I have been on I-40 from I-81 in TN to US 95 in Needles CA.

Plutonic Panda

I've clinched everything west of Nashville. I've clinched the westbound lanes west of Nashville. West of Memphis, I've clinched it in both directions all the way to Barstow. Between OKC and LA, I've made that drive over 30 times and I still enjoy it! For some reason I really enjoy the drive in west Oklahoma. Also love the New Mexico/AZ border and through Flagstaff.

I almost ALWAYS get pulled over in West Arizona if I drive during the day.

hbelkins

I have everything from Wilmington to Sallisaw, Ok., and then some other portions in Oklahoma east of OKC. Also most of it between Gallup and Flagstaff (missing the portion that runs by Petrified Forest) and from Williams (I think) to US 93.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.