News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware "T" Traffic Signals

Started by jcn, July 14, 2016, 12:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcn

Back when I was living in Delaware, there were plenty of "T" shaped traffic signals, but overtime, they are decreasing.  Are there any that are still there, and do any of you know why they are decreasing?

Alps

Double red is generally deprecated.

jcn

Quote from: Alps on July 14, 2016, 12:04:26 AM

None of the "T" signals in Delaware have the double red.

They had a flashing red arrow on the top left, and on the top right was a regular red light.  The bottom was a green left arrow, and above was a yellow left arrow.

"T" signals were also used for right turns, mainly in places where you couldn't turn on red.  In this case, the red light was on the top left, and on the top right, was a red right arrow.

jeffandnicole

There are plenty that are still there.  Some have been removed in favor of just a standard red signal with no option of turning left on red, but that's probably due to accident history and traffic volumes.

The further south you go in the state, you will find them increasing in numbers as 'Stop' intersections are converted to traffic signals. 

Alps

Quote from: jcn on July 14, 2016, 01:40:18 AM
Quote from: Alps on July 14, 2016, 12:04:26 AM

None of the "T" signals in Delaware have the double red.

They had a flashing red arrow on the top left, and on the top right was a regular red light.  The bottom was a green left arrow, and above was a yellow left arrow.

"T" signals were also used for right turns, mainly in places where you couldn't turn on red.  In this case, the red light was on the top left, and on the top right, was a red right arrow.
The MUTCD has gotten a lot more standardized, so again, this configuration is deprecated. Red ball would be on a separate signal head from a RYG arrow.

Ian

The Delaware "T" signal is definitely not decreasing. DelDOT is still installing them, albeit now with the top sections being a flashing red arrow and a steady red arrow (replacing the former red ball). Here's two that replaced two former T signals along US 13/40 in New Castle:
https://goo.gl/maps/R7SsDhxrGQn
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mariethefoxy

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 14, 2016, 10:10:17 PM
heres another delDOT traffic light mystery

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6532848,-75.6180989,3a,68y,34.91h,88.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIGth0wgYcvQq3GBaExAK3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en these extra red lights. I seen something similar in parts of PA also.

They are to signal activity at a fire station, just out of view to the left of the next traffic light up.  Actually, Ian's link above is where that fire station is located.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 14, 2016, 10:46:16 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6532848,-75.6180989,3a,68y,34.91h,88.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIGth0wgYcvQq3GBaExAK3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en these extra red lights. I seen something similar in parts of PA also.

They are to signal activity at a fire station, just out of view to the left of the next traffic light up.  Actually, Ian's link above is where that fire station is located.

Or go for two at once - T signals and single lights, all found here at this popular shunpiking spot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5369516,-75.6487146,3a,66.8y,348.64h,89.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9giPpyc2a5Tz5vW-q0gZ-g!2e0?force=lite

MASTERNC

Quote from: jcn on July 14, 2016, 12:00:59 AM
Back when I was living in Delaware, there were plenty of "T" shaped traffic signals, but overtime, they are decreasing.  Are there any that are still there, and do any of you know why they are decreasing?

There are still a few in northern New Castle County that haven't been replaced.  One is for the right turn control originally mentioned and another is to permit left turns on red after stop (the red arrow flashes and the red ball illuminates when the thru direction turns yellow).

mariethefoxy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 14, 2016, 10:46:16 PM

So those im guessing those turn red as well when the fire trucks are coming out?

Alex4897

In the spirit of "anomalies" along that corridor, here's a seemingly random bus signal along the shoulder just after the T-signal posted up-thread.  I had seen this signal a few times before when passing through the area, but never had a good chance to examine it until Wednesday when I was collecting some measurements for the curb ramps in the median.  The signal itself controls a bus stop that resides just upstream of the US 13 / 40 split, and apparently the buses that use that stop need to stay on US 13.  I'm assuming it turns green only when that signal at the firehouse turns red and a bus is tripping that sensor.  I watched a bus pull off at that stop then proceed to cross the two lanes of US 40 bound traffic to continue down US 13, but I couldn't tell if the signal had actually turned on for the bus because I wasn't at the correct angle to view the signal.

Regardless, does any other state do things like this?

ON TOPIC:
Here's a brand new T-signal installation on US 13 at Fieldsboro Road south of Odessa, mast arms and all.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4177283,-75.6586581,3a,75y,217.59h,86.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqMOnLo3QCw6eN1xYfiZdSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-US
👉😎👉

jcn

I noticed that Philadelphia Pike and Harvey Rd used to have the right turn "T" Signals in every direction except Philadelphia Pike northbound, and at those "T" Signals, there was a sign saying "No Turn on Red", but when they redid the traffic signals at that intersection, they seemed to of eliminated the "No Turn on Red", so this could be why the right turn type "T" Signals are decreasing because, the "No Turn on Red" is becoming less common.  As a matter of fact, Philadelphia Pike used to have those types of "T" signals at almost every intersection, but now that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

jcn

Quote from: jcn on July 16, 2016, 08:49:00 PM
I noticed that Philadelphia Pike and Harvey Rd used to have the right turn "T" Signals in every direction except Philadelphia Pike northbound, and at those "T" Signals, there was a sign saying "No Turn on Red", but when they redid the traffic signals at that intersection, they seemed to of eliminated the "No Turn on Red", so this could be why the right turn type "T" Signals are decreasing because, the "No Turn on Red" is becoming less common.  As a matter of fact, Philadelphia Pike used to have those types of "T" signals at almost every intersection, but now that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

And here's another example.  Route 4 at the entrance to the Delaware Autism School (Brennan Dr) used to have the right turn "T" signals in every direction, and when they were there, there were "No Turn on Red" signs as well.  But, apparently, they decided to get rid of the "No Turn on Red" there as well, therefore eliminating the "T" signals.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.