News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Two Lane Roads That Need Four

Started by webny99, February 05, 2018, 08:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HazMatt

Quote from: fillup420 on February 09, 2018, 09:18:55 PM
NC 105 between Boone and Linville, NC. Its used as a truck route for US 221, so it would be nice to get around slow trucks.

Come to think of it, NC 105 is much faster and straighter than US 221 between Boone and Linville. 221 goes around through Blowing Rock while 105 goes straight to Boone. To top it off, 105 ends at 221 on both sides, so it would make too much sense to just sign 221 along the entirety of 105

Blowing Rock would throw a fit like they always do.

Around my area I'd say NC-54 through Morrisville; it's always backed up especially during rush hour.  NC-55 through Apex as well.

Beltway

VA-28 west of Manassas has recently become quite congested in peak hours, and discussions are underway concerning widening to 4 lanes divided.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

D-Dey65

I just remembered another; William Floyd Parkway (Suffolk CR 46) south of the former toll plaza. Moreso now because "Uglybridges.com" has reported the Smiths Point Bridge as being in poor condition:

http://uglybridges.com/1386863

Of course they also erroneously called it the "Floyd Parkway" bridge.

Revive 755

Partial list for the Illinois portion of Chicagoland:

* US 12: End of the four lane section west of Fox Lake to the end of the freeway in Wisconsin
* US 20: West end of the Elgin Bypass to at least Plank Road.
* IL 31:  Fill in the gaps between IL 72 and IL 120
* US 45: End of the four lane near Washington Street to at least IL 173.  Also the diagonal section between IL 83 and IL 21
* IL 47:  End of the four lanes at the north side of Huntley to Charles Road on the north side of Woodstock.  Also the end of the four lane section north of Yorkville to IL 56
* IL 58:  End of the four lanes at Barrington Road to at least IL 59.
* IL 59:  End of the four lanes north of IL 72 to at least US 14 in Barrington, if not US 12
* IL 60/IL 83:  The whole joint stretch
* IL 62:  Fill the gap from IL 25 to IL 68
* IL 83:  South of IL 132 to IL 137
* IL 120:  Probably all of it in Lake County, but at the least fill the gap between US 45 and the end of the four lane west of Hunt Club Road
* IL 131:  At least IL 173 to the Wisconsin border
* IL 173:  IL 59 to at least I-94, if not all the way to IL 131
* Barrington Road:  Fill the gap from Mudhank Road to IL 62
* Palatine Road:  Between IL 62 and US 14

JREwing78

US-127 south of Jackson, MI, then continuing along US-223 through Adrian to US-23.

kendancy66

CA 133 between CA 73 toll road and the current divided four lane in Laguna Beach.  There is room for it, but wont happen because cars would be able to go faster there.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Jmiles32

Quote from: Beltway on February 09, 2018, 11:31:03 PM
VA-28 west of Manassas has recently become quite congested in peak hours, and discussions are underway concerning widening to 4 lanes divided.
VA-28 is currently undergoing a widening project from Bristow to Nokesville, are these the discussions you're talking about or will VA-28 be widened further into Fauquier County? Either way, VA-28 should be four lanes divided all the way to its southern terminus(US-15/US-29).

US-15 north of Leesburg and US-50 between Lenah and US-15 should also be four lanes divided.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Beltway

Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 11, 2018, 02:36:50 PM
Quote from: Beltway on February 09, 2018, 11:31:03 PM
VA-28 is currently undergoing a widening project from Bristow to Nokesville, are these the discussions you're talking about or will VA-28 be widened further into Fauquier County? Either way, VA-28 should be four lanes divided all the way to its southern terminus(US-15/US-29).
US-15 north of Leesburg and US-50 between Lenah and US-15 should also be four lanes divided.

Agreed that VA-28 should be four lanes divided all the way to its southern terminus(US-15/US-29).

US-15 needs to be four lanes divided between I-66 and MD.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on February 11, 2018, 03:16:53 PM

US-15 needs to be four lanes divided between I-66 and MD.

IMO from U.S. 29 between Buckland and Gainesville in Prince William County, Virginia all the way to the half interchange with U.S. 340 between Jefferson and Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland, about 45 miles one-way.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

US 1 from Florida City to Key Largo.  Of course trying to get the environmentalists to allow it to take away over 20 feet of Everglades is like getting Cuomo to love Trump.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on February 11, 2018, 03:48:42 PM
US 1 from Florida City to Key Largo.  Of course trying to get the environmentalists to allow it to take away over 20 feet of Everglades is like getting Cuomo to love Trump.

If you want the ultimate flame war mention that to locals down in the Keys.  The further south you go towards Key West the more insistent they get that it would just bring more people to the Keys.  Safety isn't exactly a priority down in the Keys, it was kind of interesting to see the fatality counter go up through the year on Stock Island.  I want to say it got up to 18 one year which seemed excessively high for a 127 mile stretch of US 1 that never exceeds speeds of 55 MPH.

andrepoiy

Dufferin Street from Major Mackenzie to Teston in Vaughan, ON.

Does get a bit crowded during rush hour.

roadman65

Well safety is the reason for the widening needed from FL City to the Jewfish Creek, as for many years people were impatient and passing unsafely as you would get those who believe in the automatic add 15 to whatever the posted speed limit is would be raged by the one doing 55 or under.  Because of this FDOT put the jersey barrier to prevent passing in two lane stretches making US 1 one of the few consistent divided two lane roads in the nation.

I'm sure many of those passing here are Monroe County residents who cannot wait to get home from their trip to the mainland who are the ones who are complaining about a widening that would potentially open the Keys for more tourists.

Sheryl Crowe

CtrlAltDel

What's the general AADT for four-laning a road?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on February 11, 2018, 11:07:30 PM
Well safety is the reason for the widening needed from FL City to the Jewfish Creek, as for many years people were impatient and passing unsafely as you would get those who believe in the automatic add 15 to whatever the posted speed limit is would be raged by the one doing 55 or under.  Because of this FDOT put the jersey barrier to prevent passing in two lane stretches making US 1 one of the few consistent divided two lane roads in the nation.

I'm sure many of those passing here are Monroe County residents who cannot wait to get home from their trip to the mainland who are the ones who are complaining about a widening that would potentially open the Keys for more tourists.

Hence the reason that $1 dollar toll on Card Sound Road is worth every penny coming off of those islands. 

ftballfan

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 11, 2018, 01:20:42 PM
US-127 south of Jackson, MI, then continuing along US-223 through Adrian to US-23.

US-223 has a surprisingly low AADT, especially NW of Adrian.

Some more roads that need four-laning in MI:
M-153 from Ford Rd west (it's four lanes from there west to M-14) to Canton Center Rd (M-153 between Beck and Canton Center has an AADT over 20K and it's still two lanes!) [Ann Arbor to Canton]
US-31 from M-137 to M-37 [Traverse City]
M-37 from M-113 to US-31 [Traverse City]

sparker

Quote from: kendancy66 on February 11, 2018, 02:07:54 PM
CA 133 between CA 73 toll road and the current divided four lane in Laguna Beach.  There is room for it, but wont happen because cars would be able to go faster there.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Also, the California Coastal Commission -- functioning largely as where road projects near the coast go to die -- would hardly want to grant permission for any expansion of this facility, claiming there are enough multi-lane alternatives up and down the coast from downtown Laguna Beach.  In addition, there is really no space to widen CA 133 without considerable property acquisition -- which would be local political poison as well as a very costly proposition.  Widening Laguna Canyon is effectively a D.O.A. concept.

froggie

QuoteWhat's the general AADT for four-laning a road?

MnDOT uses (or at least used to use) a planning level estimate of 11,200.  That said, I've seen the value range anywhere from 5,000 to 15,000 and several numbers in between.

Getting more technical, the main Highway Capacity Manual measurement for capacity on a 2-lane roadway ("time spent following") does not lend itself well to a general AADT threshold.

kendancy66

Quote from: sparker on February 12, 2018, 01:22:45 AM
Quote from: kendancy66 on February 11, 2018, 02:07:54 PM

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Also, the California Coastal Commission -- functioning largely as where road projects near the coast go to die -- would hardly want to grant permission for any expansion of this facility, claiming there are enough multi-lane alternatives up and down the coast from downtown Laguna Beach.  In addition, there is really no space to widen CA 133 without considerable property acquisition -- which would be local political poison as well as a very costly proposition.  Widening Laguna Canyon is effectively a D.O.A. concept.
IMO the other east west alternatives are not that close by. Crown valley to PCH is too far south and other roads like mc arthur and newport coast  to PCH are too far north That is why CA 133 is so traffic clogged. Also there is space to widen the road and avoid most or all the businesses because they are only on the south side of the road

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

cl94

US 9, NY 149, and US 4 from I-87 Exit 20 to the Vermont line is one of the most glaring ones in Upstate New York. I have seen long backups in both directions, especially during the summer. It's never gonna happen, as NY 149 can't be widened without an amendment to the state constitution if any of the necessary ROW within Adirondack Park lies on state land. This is a case where AADT doesn't say everything, as the AADTs are off-season. Summer counts on NY 149 just east of Warren CR 7 are generally in the 12-15,000 range, weekend counts on busy ski weekends are probably a little less. The US 9/NY 149 concurrency is upwards of 20,000 in the summer. All of these have relatively high truck percentages, as it is one of the main truck routes to western Vermont. The 149/7 count was 29% trucks.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

US 206 between Princeton and Hillsborough, NJ.  Of course we know that NJ has been broke for decades as look at the Hillsborough Bypass as its only two lanes and taking forever to complete.

Also US 206 from Bedminster to Netcong and part of it in Sussex County ( I do know that in Byram Twp. NJDOT did widen it with a center turn lane recently) especially leading up to Newton should be four lanes.

NJ 23 is one that needs to be not only widened but a whole new alignment from Stockholm to Sussex as that part of the highway is very congested.  My cousin who lives in the Borough of Sussex says he dreads driving that stretch.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on February 12, 2018, 05:41:11 PM
MnDOT uses (or at least used to use) a planning level estimate of 11,200.  That said, I've seen the value range anywhere from 5,000 to 15,000 and several numbers in between.
Getting more technical, the main Highway Capacity Manual measurement for capacity on a 2-lane roadway ("time spent following") does not lend itself well to a general AADT threshold.

The 32 miles of US-58 four-lane widening and bypasses between Clarksville and South Hill, VA built 1999-2004, had 20-year traffic projections in the 5,000 to 7,000 AADT range.  While that may seem low, US-58 is a major cross-state highway that carries substantial long distance traffic and substantial large truck traffic.  Money well spent, IMHO.  US-58 is now four lanes between Stuart and Hampton Roads.  The current goal is to extend that four-laning to I-77 at Hillsville.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: froggie on February 12, 2018, 05:41:11 PM

I hadn't heard of the term "time spent following." It was most interesting to find the Highway Capacity Manual and read up on it. I was surprised that having a time spent following of up to 35% is considered LOS A. Spending a third of my driving time stuck behind someone else would drive me nuts.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 13, 2018, 01:35:49 AM
Spending a third of my driving time stuck behind someone else would drive me nuts.

If you don't already do this, count yourself very lucky. During normal daylight hours, that percentage has got to be upwards of 50% on many of the main two-lane roads around here.

froggie

Quote from: cl94US 9, NY 149, and US 4 from I-87 Exit 20 to the Vermont line is one of the most glaring ones in Upstate New York. I have seen long backups in both directions, especially during the summer. It's never gonna happen, as NY 149 can't be widened without an amendment to the state constitution if any of the necessary ROW within Adirondack Park lies on state land.

Staying on the US 4 corridor down to Fort Edward then over to the Northway, or going new alignment and staying in Queensbury and Kingsbury would both solve that problem, but now we're straying into "fictional" territory...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.