News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

'Cheating' drivers aren't paying Highway 101 express lane tolls

Started by ZLoth, March 22, 2024, 08:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

'Cheating' drivers aren't paying Highway 101 express lane tolls
QuoteIf you've ever been stuck in traffic on a Bay Area highway and wondered if the people flying by you on express lanes were actually paying the tolls, your suspicions were correct: A lot of them are cheating Highway 101's newly installed express lane toll system.

Peter Skinner, the executive officer of the San Mateo County Transportation Authority, told SFGATE that cheating drivers have become a "legitimate concern" ever since the county's new express lane system was installed on Highway 101, between Palo Alto and South San Francisco.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Of course, what's a major problem....

QuoteA glaring problem: The agency is hamstrung in catching these cheating drivers because state law has made it illegal for automatic cameras to take photos of passengers inside cars, according to Skinner. Instead, the agency relies on CHP to catch violators in real time, which is a burdensome safeguard.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Rothman

My word.  Well, new school toll collection with old school enforcement...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wanderer2575

QuoteA glaring problem: The agency is hamstrung in catching these cheating drivers because state law has made it illegal for automatic cameras to take photos of passengers inside cars, according to Skinner. Instead, the agency relies on CHP to catch violators in real time, which is a burdensome safeguard.

This didn't occur to anyone during the planning stage?

Maybe after the Ohio Turnpike finally gets its new toll system online, they can donate their old gates and toll tickets to California.

ElishaGOtis

One aspect that makes enforcement difficult is the fact you can enter or exit the "express lanes" at any point. Not only does that alone make HOV enforcement difficult, but also it also makes toll collection more complicated. They're not really true "express" lanes...
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

ZLoth

Quote from: ElishaGOtis on March 22, 2024, 10:30:50 AMOne aspect that makes enforcement difficult is the fact you can enter or exit the "express lanes" at any point. Not only does that alone make HOV enforcement difficult, but also it also makes toll collection more complicated. They're not really true "express" lanes...

Extremely true. One time while I was driving to the bay area a few years ago, someone passed me to the left, merged right to avoid the express lane toll gantry, then merged left again and sped away. I didn't have a dash cam at the time, but I can guarantee you that it was a solid lane line on the right.

Of course, there are reasons why those "Express" lanes are called "Lexus Lanes"....
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

citrus

Quote from: ZLoth on March 22, 2024, 12:07:20 PM
Quote from: ElishaGOtis on March 22, 2024, 10:30:50 AMOne aspect that makes enforcement difficult is the fact you can enter or exit the "express lanes" at any point. Not only does that alone make HOV enforcement difficult, but also it also makes toll collection more complicated. They're not really true "express" lanes...

Extremely true. One time while I was driving to the bay area a few years ago, someone passed me to the left, merged right to avoid the express lane toll gantry, then merged left again and sped away. I didn't have a dash cam at the time, but I can guarantee you that it was a solid lane line on the right.

Of course, there are reasons why those "Express" lanes are called "Lexus Lanes"....

These days it's more like "Tesla lanes", especially since EVs often don't have to pay!

Voyager

The lanes in the East Bay and in LA are separated, but they thought they'd just throw this as a regular lane you can switch in and out of and it wouldn't cause problems? It has somehow made the 92/101 interchange even worse due to the fast lane getting stopped when people cut out of the toll lane to avoid the sensors.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

jdbx

Quote from: Voyager on March 22, 2024, 01:59:03 PM
The lanes in the East Bay and in LA are separated, but they thought they'd just throw this as a regular lane you can switch in and out of and it wouldn't cause problems? It has somehow made the 92/101 interchange even worse due to the fast lane getting stopped when people cut out of the toll lane to avoid the sensors.

Not all lanes in the East bay, the separations only exist at high-conflict points, like I-680 S between CA-242 and North Main St, or I-880 S between I-238 and CA-92.  Otherwise, it's the same dashed line as you describe, and I see the same behaviors of people darting in-and-out to avoid the tolling gantries.

I think that the way they built carpool lanes down in LA makes a lot more sense:  provide limited entrance/exit points to reduce conflict and improve enforcement.

kphoger

One time while I was driving to the bay area a few years ago, someone passed me to the left, merged right to avoid the express lane toll gantry, then merged left again and sped away. I didn't have a dash cam at the time, but I can guarantee you that it was a solid lane line on the right.

1.  Single white line or double white line?

2.  In California state law, does it matter?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jdbx

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2024, 04:15:17 PM
One time while I was driving to the bay area a few years ago, someone passed me to the left, merged right to avoid the express lane toll gantry, then merged left again and sped away. I didn't have a dash cam at the time, but I can guarantee you that it was a solid lane line on the right.

Most of the express lanes in the Bay Area have a dashed line, but in the cases where it's not, a double white line is employed, and it is well-marked that it is illegal to cross the double white lines.

mgk920

Quote from: jdbx on March 22, 2024, 04:38:37 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2024, 04:15:17 PM

Most of the express lanes in the Bay Area have a dashed line, but in the cases where it's not, a double white line is employed, and it is well-marked that it is illegal to cross the double white lines.

I learned looooong ago that the most key tenet of ANY law is that "you can do whatever you da*n please, as long as no one calls you an it".  That is shown to me to be more and more correct every day.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.