News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Surrender your man card here

Started by kphoger, July 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Do you sometimes wonder if you're a "real man" because you can't or don't _______________ [fill in the blank]?  Are you too insecure to talk about it with family and friends?  Well, this is a safe place.  We won't judge your masculinity based on silly little things like that.  You are accepted here, just as you are.  Feel free to share what that thing is in a safe and moderated environment, with whatever level of anonymity you've managed to secure thus far on the forum.

There is one thing, though:  you have to surrender your man card at the door.

You can pick it up on the way back out.

Note 1:  This isn't necessarily meant to be for males only.  I don't know if there's a female equivalent to the "man card" but, if there is, women are free to share what it is that makes them "less of a woman".

Note 2:  This is supposed to be humorous.  Please keep the replies lighthearted in nature.

I'll start.

*  I've never changed my own oil.

*  I usually sit down to pee.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

* I stopped caring about whether people perceived me as masculine or not. (It was very freeing.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SectorZ

I love Madonna's first four albums.

NWI_Irish96

I've seen the stage musical Mamma Mia three times
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 21, 2021, 12:37:52 PM
* I stopped caring about whether people perceived me as masculine or not. (It was very freeing.)

If we're gonna get all existential and crap on here...  I suppose there's a difference between caring if other people perceive you as masculine and feeling insecure about your own masculinity.

But, again, that's not the point of this thread.  This is just for fun.  And, I suppose, for us all to realize people are more alike than they might first appear.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 12:52:08 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 21, 2021, 12:37:52 PM

If we're gonna get all existential and crap on here...  I suppose there's a difference between caring if other people perceive you as masculine and feeling insecure about your own masculinity.

But, again, that's not the point of this thread.  This is just for fun.  And, I suppose, for us all to realize people are more alike than they might first appear.

Well, I mean. It's kind of one of those things that I can't help but engage with at an existential level, because the concept of having a "man card" you can surrender is so foreign to my adult experience. Sort of like that other thread where I posted that Oklahoma houses don't have basements and a Massachusetts poster demanded to know how that was even possible.  :-D

Cause, like, traditional masculine things have just never appealed to me, I guess. Sports are about as interesting to me as watching someone else play a card game. I've never been athletic. I can build things with my bare hands but it's never been pleasurable to me, just a means to an end that I want to get done with as soon as possible (okay, repairing slot machines was interesting sometimes). Power tools kind of scare me. Never been interested in cars as anything other than a means to bring me to road signs I want to look at (I have changed my own oil, and my takeaway was that it was worth the fifty bucks or whatever to have Walmart do it). So, like, the idea of being a "real man" is something I've sort of chosen to opt out of, because none of the things it entails interest me in the slightest. Dad tried to get me into all of that stuff and it just didn't take.

So I guess you could say my man card, such as it were, got lost in the mail.

kphoger

Along the lines of something you said in there...

*  I can't throw a spiral.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 01:39:54 PM

* I don't know what a spiral is in this context. Some sort of baseball move? A car part, like maybe a spring that gets detached?

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 21, 2021, 01:37:25 PM
Sports are about as interesting to me as watching someone else play a card game. I've never been athletic.

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 21, 2021, 01:42:48 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 01:39:54 PM

* I don't know what a spiral is in this context. Some sort of baseball move? A car part, like maybe a spring that gets detached?

Throwing a football so that it spirals neatly through the air.

I've never been able to do that.  Having grown up in northwestern Kansas, in a town where someone once spray-painted "ABOUT FOOTBALL" under the "WHERE PEOPLE CARE" part of the welcome sign, I might as well have castrated myself.

Then again, practically all of my classmates either thought I was gay or just called me gay as an insult, so take that as you will...
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

This is definitely an odd one, but I enjoy listening to good songs from certain kids cartoons. They're just genuinely good songs sometimes.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

Oh golly, quite a few things. I've longed prided myself on avoiding certain masculine traits.

* I much prefer small cars and hatchbacks, and ideally ones that have not been modified. Trucks that never do truck things are toxic IMO;
* I dislike body hair so I remove most of it (apart from my legs);
* I have never performed mechanical work on my car (changing a tire and light bulbs are the extent of it);
* the thought of going out and getting hammered appalls me;
* my clothes fit me perfectly -- I strongly dislike clothes that do not fit -- even slightly baggy bothers me;
* I won multiple drama club awards in junior high, including the end-of-the-year award for best performer.

Max Rockatansky

-  I'm afraid of roller coasters.
-  I find small entry level cars more interesting than muscle cars. 
-  I value intelligence just as much as physical strength.
-  I generally pay someone to detail my car now because I don't enjoy doing it myself.

hbelkins

I love cats.

I'm terrible at mechanical or handyman things. Auto and home repairs are foreign concepts to me. I couldn't change out a kitchen faucet or build a bookshelf, even with an instructional video guiding me every step of the way.

I don't change my own oil either.

I'm not good at grilling out.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

• I do all the laundry at our house (but not the ironing; I do know how to iron if I need to, though).
  • I regularly wash the dishes.

I think both of those are eminently reasonable tasks for me to take on because Ms1995hoo cleans the bathrooms.

• I put down both the toilet seat and the lid after using the toilet, regardless of the reason I was using it.

That one is largely because I'm worried I'll drop something in the bowl, especially when I hang my CPAP tubes in the shower to dry them. I once dropped a brand-new roll of TP in a toilet bowl, ruining the roll. Ever since then, I put down the lid. (I'm also aware of "toilet plume" as a hygienic reason for closing the lid.) Funny thing is, Ms1995hoo does not put down the lids except in the master bathroom prior to showering (and in that case, she does it mainly because the towels are between the toilet and the shower). I guess that says to me that the way some women fuss about putting the seat down is limited to the seat and that their gripe really is just about wanting it to be convenient for them and not out of any sense about how the seat "should" be.

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 21, 2021, 12:43:20 PM

I have as well, including once when I sat in the front row. Great show, loads of fun.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2021, 02:38:15 PM

I have as well, including once when I sat in the front row. Great show, loads of fun.

OK, I know I said this was a safe place, but I'm really struggling right now...   :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

CoreySamson

- I don't really know how to grill
- I usually only stand up to pee when I'm outside my house
- I pulled my tricep trying to throw a spiral well this past Sunday
- I'm not really afraid to cry in public
- I'm pretty sure I'll never buy a pickup truck (way too expensive!)
- I can't do push-ups very well at all
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 02:41:01 PM

My wife subjected me to the movie once when were at a hotel in Seattle.  Wasn't working for me after about 30 minutes so I went out for an afternoon run.

OK, I know I said this was a safe place, but I'm really struggling right now...   :biggrin:

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2021, 03:15:12 PM

My wife subjected me to the movie once when were at a hotel in Seattle.  Wasn't working for me after about 30 minutes so I went out for an afternoon run.

I saw the movie because Ms1995hoo has the Blu-ray, but the stage show was significantly better than the movie was.

(Quotes fixed based on what I believe Max Rockatansky intended to post.)

jeffandnicole

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2021, 03:21:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2021, 03:15:12 PM

I saw the movie because Ms1995hoo has the Blu-ray, but the stage show was significantly better than the movie was.

(Quotes fixed based on what I believe Max Rockatansky intended to post.)

I can definitely say that was the case with Cats (the stage show was way better than the movie).  Although the movie had a real so bad it's good thing going for it with all the creepy animal-people running around.  I think Mama Mia and Cats more or less would appeal to the same types of people. 

1995hoo

I've never seen Cats, either on stage or the movie.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2021, 03:27:28 PM
Although the movie had a real so bad it's good thing going for it with all the creepy animal-people running around.

At first, I thought one of the reels at the theater was damaged, so your viewing of it was impeded, but you misspelled the word reel.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

My school brought us the Cats show in the 1990s.  I heard how over the top horrible the movie was and had to see when my wife wanted to watch it.  I have to say the movie really lived up to the hype and was an epic disaster (and kind of accidentally funny):

GaryV

I watch Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on July 21, 2021, 03:54:24 PM
I watch Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel.

I did watch the Colonel Sanders movie which I think was on Lifetime?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.