News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Facebook/Instagram/Whatsapp down

Started by Roadgeekteen, October 04, 2021, 06:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 05, 2021, 12:55:07 AM
Quote from: bing101 on October 04, 2021, 11:38:30 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 04, 2021, 11:12:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2021, 10:43:45 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 04, 2021, 07:13:48 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2021, 07:10:49 PM
And the world kept moving forward, imagine that.
Indeed. And the band played on.

Did it though?  The impression I get from about 70% of people I know was that the world was burning down.
For many people Facebook is the whole internet, especially in many foreign countries.
Facebook is the whole internet??? Anybody heard of WordPress, neocities, Joomla, Wix, Weebly, Blogspot? That is insane to think the whole internet is Facebook owned servers or Twitter owned servers or Tik tok owned servers.
Not really everyone, but especially in other countries many businesses depend on facebook and in some places, WhatsApp has replaced texting.
I was guessing that businesses are dependent on WordPress, Wix, Squarespace, Joomla, expression engine though. But the examples here are for in the USA.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: index on October 04, 2021, 11:55:09 PM
I didn't know until now, but I heard Zuck managed to lose 7 billion dollars from it. That's not nearly enough down the drain, but it served well to brighten my day nonetheless.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2021, 11:41:33 PM

Did it though?  The impression I get from about 70% of people I know was that the world was burning down.
For many people Facebook is the whole internet, especially in many foreign countries.
Facebook is the whole internet??? Anybody heard of WordPress, neocities, Joomla, Wix, Weebly, Blogspot? That is insane to think the whole internet is Facebook owned servers or Twitter owned servers or Tik tok owned servers.

Might be that way to the overwhelming majority of people under 30.
Obvious joke, not taking it literally, but just as an actual point of discussion, in my experience, almost nobody my age actually uses Facebook. My brothers that are just 6 years older than me do, but the younger you get from that the more it drops off like a rock.

I was pressured into signing up for an account twice, once last month, and once several years ago, to keep in touch with people, but both times I ended up never using it and eventually deleting it. I only ever keep in touch with people by texting them and it'll probably stay that way.

Tik Tok, on the other hand, yes, it seems like everyone my age uses it but me. Sometimes others will act surprised when I say I don't use it. I don't not use it to be "different" or "not like the other kiddos" but it's just not my thing. I tried it and while some of the stuff was entertaining and kind of interesting, it wasn't really my kind of format.

Twitter though works for me, along with Reddit and Discord. I prefer discussion-based stuff. Although in my experience, having been on Reddit since 2012 or so, almost everyone there is an idiot. They think they're special and unique, and part of some secret exclusive club for using it, and it's been like that for the whole time the site's been around. Terrible sense of humor. Twitter is annoying but not nearly as bad, and I only use Discord to keep in touch with people in small groups, I hate all the public-facing stuff. Not my kind of thing.

Overwhelming the majority of time I use Facebook is to promote Gribblenation stuff.  I have an Instagram my wife signed me up for but I don't know what to do with it.  I've never used Reddit, TikTok, Twitter and Discord.  The only real reason I have kinda an idea what Reddit is because of a particular user there has become somewhat infamous on this forum.  Considering we use Blogger to host the Gribblenation highway page I've least heard or had some interaction with most of the sites Bing listed.

I don't know, I still remember using Prodigy Bulletin Boards and Prodigy Chat.  If that doesn't date me then I don't now what does.  Funny enough, I had an AOL account but very rarely used most of it's popular features in favor of accessing of general internet via NetScape.

NWI_Irish96

Facebook is actually less popular with people in their teens and twenties than older adults.

Younger people are using Instagram and TikTok
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 05, 2021, 08:20:29 AM

Facebook is actually less popular with people in their teens and twenties than older adults.

Let me rephrase then, the Internet is probably overwhelmingly important to almost everyone under 30 and substantially important to almost everyone else.  Clearly I don't understand what younger people are into, I assume that is a sign of getting "old?"

Takumi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 05, 2021, 12:55:07 AM

Not really everyone, but especially in other countries many businesses depend on facebook and in some places, WhatsApp has replaced texting.
Yep. My girlfriend and I primarily communicate via WhatsApp. Yesterday we ended up resorting to using the chat in Words With Friends because Telegram was also being very laggy, and we didn't think about Signal.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 05, 2021, 10:01:24 AM

Let me rephrase then, the Internet is probably overwhelmingly important to almost everyone under 30 and substantially important to almost everyone else.  Clearly I don't understand what younger people are into, I assume that is a sign of getting "old?"

It's a sign of being in between being a teenager and having kids who are teenagers. I know infinitely more now about what kids are into than I did 10 years ago.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 05, 2021, 11:17:50 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 05, 2021, 10:01:24 AM

It's a sign of being in between being a teenager and having kids who are teenagers. I know infinitely more now about what kids are into than I did 10 years ago.

I don't know, I hit 39 tomorrow and the likelihood I'll be parent drops every year as time progresses.  If my wife and I had kid tomorrow that would put me in my 50s by the time they were a teenager.  I think that I'm too far gone considering how divorced I've become from mainstream entertainment sources. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2021, 10:00:25 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 04, 2021, 08:43:52 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 04, 2021, 08:39:50 PM
Initial news reports stated that Amazon was down, too, but Amazon came back up long before Facebook did. (I don't use Instagram or WhatsApp). There were also sporadic reports of issues with Twitter and Gmail.

Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp are all the same company. Amazon, Twitter, and Gmail are not owned by Facebook.
HB seems to have had some issue with mingling some facts with jokes that were going around.

Actually, no. The initial news report I saw (not sure if it was an AP report or something unique to Gray Television, but was a report on either WKYT or WYMT's Web site) stated that Amazon was down as well as the Facebook group of platforms.

And I read reports of sporadic problems with both Gmail and Twitter, although they may have just been isolated issues. I'll occasionally get a "Tweets aren't loading right now" message or "Gmail seems to be loading slower than usual."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kalvado

Quote from: hbelkins on October 05, 2021, 03:25:21 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2021, 10:00:25 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 04, 2021, 08:43:52 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 04, 2021, 08:39:50 PM
Initial news reports stated that Amazon was down, too, but Amazon came back up long before Facebook did. (I don't use Instagram or WhatsApp). There were also sporadic reports of issues with Twitter and Gmail.

Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp are all the same company. Amazon, Twitter, and Gmail are not owned by Facebook.
HB seems to have had some issue with mingling some facts with jokes that were going around.

Actually, no. The initial news report I saw (not sure if it was an AP report or something unique to Gray Television, but was a report on either WKYT or WYMT's Web site) stated that Amazon was down as well as the Facebook group of platforms.

And I read reports of sporadic problems with both Gmail and Twitter, although they may have just been isolated issues. I'll occasionally get a "Tweets aren't loading right now" message or "Gmail seems to be loading slower than usual."
Skynet is waking up..

Scott5114

Quote from: index on October 04, 2021, 11:55:09 PM
Twitter though works for me, along with Reddit and Discord. I prefer discussion-based stuff. Although in my experience, having been on Reddit since 2012 or so, almost everyone there is an idiot. They think they're special and unique, and part of some secret exclusive club for using it, and it's been like that for the whole time the site's been around. Terrible sense of humor. Twitter is annoying but not nearly as bad, and I only use Discord to keep in touch with people in small groups, I hate all the public-facing stuff. Not my kind of thing.

Reddit is kind of like this place, except that if you go against the prevailing opinion you can get downvoted into oblivion and your post hidden. I sometimes post there and it's kind of hilarious because 90% of the time I get a few dozen upvotes and then the 10% of the time I have a slightly different opinion than the majority I end up in the negatives. One time I got downvoted all to hell in r/politics for explaining what an 85th percentile speed was and saying I think sometimes speed limits are too low.

I don't think it's fair to include Discord with social media because it's not, it's a chat service. It actually reminds me a lot of IRC, but updated and expanded with multimedia and voice features. Probably the most competently-executed chat client I've ever used.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

I can see new venues being hyped up in 2022 to attempt to go after Facebook inc.

https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-the-fediverse-and-can-it-decentralize-the-web/
The Fedivierse venues are one of them.

tolbs17

NWI_Irish96

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.