News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Upgrading CA 99

Started by geoking111, February 09, 2009, 09:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What number should CA 99 receive if it approved by AASHTO as an interstate between Grapevine and Sacramento (or Stockton)?

I-7
17 (56.7%)
I-9
8 (26.7%)
I-5E
1 (3.3%)
Some other interstate number
0 (0%)
CA 99 (keep it the same)
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 11, 2009, 10:37:11 PM

geoking111

What number should CA 99 get if it is upgraded to interstate standards?

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

mapman

If it had to change, I think I-7 would be best, from a logistics perspective.  California doesn't allow duplication between interstate and non-interstate highways, so either CA 7 or CA 9 would have to be renumbered.  CA 7 would be the easiest number to replace, since it's simply a short connection between I-8 and Mexico.  CA 9 is a major two-lane highway through the Santa Cruz Mountains and San Lorenzo Valley, and would gain a lot of opposition if changed to another number.  A change from CA 9 would also disrupt many properties, many of which use the highway in their addresses (such as 5010 Highway 9).

DukeOfURL

Quote from: geoking111 on February 09, 2009, 09:37:11 PM
What number should CA 99 get if it is upgraded to interstate standards?

It would never happen, it's too near and similar to I-5.  Besides, an Interstate has to span at least 2 states.  (Except the ones in Hawaii)

DAL764

I'd go with I-7, just because it would be the most logical interstate number.

Quote from: DukeOfURL on February 10, 2009, 04:22:15 AM
Besides, an Interstate has to span at least 2 states.  (Except the ones in Hawaii)
Do I-4 in Florida, I-12 in Lousiana, I-16 in Georgia, I-43 in Wisconsin and I-97 in Maryland know that  ;-) ?

DrZoidberg

QuoteCalifornia doesn't allow duplication between interstate and non-interstate highways

Really?  That seems odd to me, considering I-15 continues as CA-15, I-110 continues as CA-110....is this something new?
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

John

But, those highways are/were going to be upgraded to interstates, and therefore their CA route #s are duplicates to provide continuity until they become/became interstates.
They came, they went, they took my image...

DrZoidberg

Ah, I see.  Thank you for clarifying that.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

FreewayDan

Quote from: mapman on February 10, 2009, 01:20:38 AM
If it had to change, I think I-7 would be best, from a logistics perspective.  California doesn't allow duplication between interstate and non-interstate highways, so either CA 7 or CA 9 would have to be renumbered.  CA 7 would be the easiest number to replace, since it's simply a short connection between I-8 and Mexico.  CA 9 is a major two-lane highway through the Santa Cruz Mountains and San Lorenzo Valley, and would gain a lot of opposition if changed to another number.  A change from CA 9 would also disrupt many properties, many of which use the highway in their addresses (such as 5010 Highway 9).

CA 7 could easily be replaced with an realignment/extension of CA 115.  Or, if the road is upgraded to a freeway, it can be I-308.
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

Voyager

Wow, any -08 designation defintely sounds strange to me.

TheStranger

Quote from: John on February 10, 2009, 10:54:18 AM
But, those highways are/were going to be upgraded to interstates, and therefore their CA route #s are duplicates to provide continuity until they become/became interstates.
CA 110 north of the Four-Level interchange, the Pasadena Freeway, is not slated to ever become an interstate (due to substandard early-era design).  I've always felt though that for naming continuity, the interstate should cover all of the Harbor Freeway (and southbound signage from US 101 to I-10 makes it seem that that's the case at times).

Chris Sampang

Alps

I-9, but I have no clue how to answer polls in the forum.

mrivera1

Just for clarification...just because the name is Interstate...doesn't mean it has to be an inter-state route.  Interstate is just the name for the type of route (i.e. the standards, the funding, etc.) and is there to justify its existence vs. a state route.  Look at all the Interstates that are simply bypasses and spurs that stay in the same general metro area, and as said, other Interstates that exist within the confines of one state.  Interstate is just a name.
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

Revive 755

Make CA 99 I-5, and current I-5 an I-3.  Replace I-580 as I-503, and I-238 with I-203. :)

Unless there will be the need for any even three digit routes along CA 99, then go with I-7.

74/171FAN

As I've mentioned in another thread, bring back US 99 ;-)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Chris

QuoteCA 110 north of the Four-Level interchange, the Pasadena Freeway, is not slated to ever become an interstate (due to substandard early-era design).

I've checked that out on Google Streetview a while ago, it had some 5 mph exits  X-(

rebel049

Those aren't exits, those are right hand turns.  :-D

Bryant5493

This was the route that got covered with tule fog and caused a multi-car accident, right?

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

mrivera1

Once the whole of CA-99 from I-5 to the Sacramento area was upgraded, couldn't CA-99 receive a designation as I-705?  Although 99 reunites with I-5, unfortunately, I-205, I-405, I-605, and I-805 are used up.  I-705 is the last open X05 route number in California (unless you use 4 numbers, but I'll save that argument for the I-238 thread).  Save the I-3, I-7, and I-9 for other routes that aren't alternates to major interstates. 
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

WillWeaverRVA

CA 99 does serve some large populated areas (namely Fresno), and those cities would likely object to a 3di as opposed to a main route. Besides, there are still numbers available between CA 99 and I-15 (there isn't an I-11 or I-13).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Fcexpress80

My vote would be for I-7.  From south to north, it would rejoin I-5 at Sacramento or further north at Red Bluff.  Cosigned with I-5 to Weed, CA.  Then continues north along the US-97 corridor through Klamath Falls and Bend.  Continues northwest along the US-26 corridor to Portland, OR.

I-9 would be a future interstate from Hermiston, OR to Wenatchee, WA which would utilize the current misnamed I-82 corridor with a northern extension.

I-11 would link Las Vegas, NV with Reno, NV and extend north to Boise, ID and possibly Spokane, WA, primarily along the US-95 corridor.

Voyager

I don't see them cosigning two interstates for 90 miles.

mightyace

Quote from: voyager on April 29, 2009, 07:06:59 PM
I don't see them cosigning two interstates for 90 miles.

You mean like I-20 & I-59 in Mississippi and Alabama?

Or, I-80 and I-90 that multiplex for approx. 300 miles in Indiana and Ohio?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Voyager

California is much different.

mrivera1

I agree with Voyager.  Caltrans HATES cosigning routes.  They do as least often as they can.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.