News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

43 and the moment, but will approach 60 today.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

First ice storm in 9 years for Chicago tonight. Tomorrow morning won't be fun  :ded:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: ET21 on February 05, 2019, 09:21:53 AM
First ice storm in 9 years for Chicago tonight. Tomorrow morning won't be fun  :ded:

I'm just outside the affected area for that storm. The county to my east (Jasper) is under a winter weather advisory for snow and minor ice accumulation, but the one I'm in (Polk) is not. Still supposed to get some snow/wintry mix today and tonight, though.

ipeters61

We've got some unusual warmth here in Dover.  We're expecting a high of 60, low of 34.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Ben114

1995hoo

71° as I type this. Record high at DCA today.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

61° here, beating the previous record of 59.

Quote from: Ben114 on February 05, 2019, 03:40:49 PM
Uncomfortably warm

This could mean one of three things, and I'm not sure which.

1. It's just hyperbole.
2. Not uncomfortable to humans, but uncomfortable to the environment.
3. You're not in Massachusetts right now; you're on a vacation trip.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Bruce

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 05, 2019, 03:42:51 PM
71° as I type this. Record high at DCA today.

I guess our Washington's weather swapped with your Washington.

Record cold of 20F most of the day. Despite the sunshine, there's plenty of snow (and, more importantly, deadly ice) on the ground.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

abefroman329

Doesn't look like this ice storm ever materialized, though I did hear rain around 9 pm or so.  Most of the snow we got in recent weeks is melted now, which is nice.

ET21

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 06, 2019, 09:27:14 AM
Doesn't look like this ice storm ever materialized, though I did hear rain around 9 pm or so.  Most of the snow we got in recent weeks is melted now, which is nice.

Northern and western burbs got clobbered. Chicago luckily warmed up enough for just a cold rain

Clinched:

abefroman329

Quote from: ET21 on February 06, 2019, 10:40:24 AM

Northern and western burbs got clobbered. Chicago luckily warmed up enough for just a cold rain
Ah, I work in far southern Lake County (on Lake-Cook Road, actually) and everything was fine up here.

ET21

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 06, 2019, 11:12:37 AM
Quote from: ET21 on February 06, 2019, 10:40:24 AM

Ah, I work in far southern Lake County (on Lake-Cook Road, actually) and everything was fine up here.

Yeah there was a report out of McHenry of almost a half inch of ice. Waukegan had about .25

Clinched:

jeffandnicole

No guarantees you'll see what I'm seeing now, but...

Go to www.weather.com .  Currently, there's a news story stating "Outbreak Closes School: Forty-Five States have 'Widespread' Flu Activity".  Yet, the accompanying map shows a varied mixture of red and green.  Click on the story, and you find out that TWO schools in the entire country have closed (both in Alabama) and only 23 states are showing high flu activity.

That station continues to find ways to alienate and confuse their viewership!

US 89

Not to mention they tend to only focus on the weather in California or the Northeast. Just to throw out an example for today: Salt Lake City is currently having what is probably the biggest snowstorm in several years, and is under a winter storm warning. Yet this is nowhere to be found on the website.

jakeroot

Quote from: US 89 on February 06, 2019, 01:30:17 PM
Not to mention they tend to only focus on the weather in California or the Northeast. Just to throw out an example for today: Salt Lake City is currently having what is probably the biggest snowstorm in several years, and is under a winter storm warning. Yet this is nowhere to be found on the website.

According to TWC forecasts for Salt Lake City, only 1-2 inches of snow is expected over the next 24 hours. That might be why. Even if their forecasts are wrong, it's not popping up on their radar (no pun intended). That said, the "Winter Storm Brings Dangerous Snow, Ice Threat" story on their front page does drop this line: "In the West, parts of the Salt Lake City metro area have seen more than a foot of snow."

One problem that SLC faces, that I don't see in Seattle, is the "inland western state" stereotype, in which it's understood by most of America that places like Casper, Denver, SLC, Reno, Spokane, Boise, etc all receive snow pretty regularly in the winter, so a storm that drops 10-20 inches of snow is, while interesting, not exactly front-page news. On the other hand, Seattle is not a city that is stereotyped as having snowy winters, so even a few inches will make the front pages.

ET21

TWC has become a cancer honestly to the meteorological community. Once it got bought out, the downhill spiral began and continues today. It used to be SO DAMN GOOD!!!!!  :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Clinched:

abefroman329

Quote from: ET21 on February 06, 2019, 02:40:41 PM
TWC has become a cancer honestly to the meteorological community. Once it got bought out, the downhill spiral began and continues today. It used to be SO DAMN GOOD!!!!!  :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(
Didn't help when they started naming non-hurricane storms, even after the NWS and/or NOAA told them not to because people would stop taking hurricanes seriously if every storm had a name.

jakeroot

TWC viewership must have been dropping off pretty considerably in the mid-noughties (when they were still good, but the internet was better) for them to have changed into what they are now, which is undoubtedly a Daily Mail-type site that is all shock-value, little substance, but pulls in viewers with "WHAT?" reactions.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on February 06, 2019, 03:47:06 PM
TWC viewership must have been dropping off pretty considerably in the mid-noughties (when they were still good, but the internet was better) for them to have changed into what they are now, which is undoubtedly a Daily Mail-type site that is all shock-value, little substance, but pulls in viewers with "WHAT?" reactions.

And some of their television programming is that shitty, manufactured drama television like Highway Thru Hell, which I'll admit could be interesting perhaps if done differently.

I only know about that show because my dad watches it and he's like "hey, you like road stuff, you should check it out." I'll admit to being intrigued but the presentation really put me off.

Hurricane Rex

Tuesday of last week I saw an inch of snow before heading back to school in Corvallis. This weekend looks good for Seattle, and some for Oregon, but not nearly as much. But Tuesday is looking like jackpot right now. 15 inches is what the 12z euro is saying for Corvallis, around 10 for Portland. Schools will be canceled for a week if that happens as temps won't really warm.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

ET21

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 06, 2019, 02:51:30 PM
Didn't help when they started naming non-hurricane storms, even after the NWS and/or NOAA told them not to because people would stop taking hurricanes seriously if every storm had a name.

Everyone rolls their eyes when they started that winter naming BS.

They also bought out weather underground which was a good site to use until TWC started throwing their toys onto it and cluttered the site up. Only thing I use them now for is for station readings for specific areas when I give forecasts for friends or family outdoor events.

Clinched:

abefroman329

Quote from: ET21 on February 07, 2019, 09:56:48 AM

They also bought out weather underground which was a good site to use until TWC started throwing their toys onto it and cluttered the site up. Only thing I use them now for is for station readings for specific areas when I give forecasts for friends or family outdoor events.
I still find the Weather Channel's iPhone app really useful, as well as the push notifications.  I used to also have the What The Forecast? app, but that was a joke that got old really quickly.

US 89

Quote from: ET21 on February 07, 2019, 09:56:48 AM

I don't even use them for that. There are plenty of observation sites available via the National Weather Service observations page, but I'll use WeatherBug if a computer isn't handy. I do have the TWC app, but only for the purpose of getting severe weather alerts.

I used to love Weather Underground's website for two reasons. One was their live streaming weather radio; the other was the availability of data showing various thunderstorm metrics (max hail size, severe hail probability, etc.). Both are now gone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.