News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

District of Columbia

Started by Alex, April 07, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

DC adding cameras to enforce stop signs, box-blocking, and yielding to pedestrians.

I wonder if they'll ticket you even if the pedestrian is in the wrong. Last night I was in Alexandria and a woman with a small child waited until I had a green light and then waddled out into the crosswalk right as I started to drive (and managed to pause for her mobile phone conversation long enough to scream "fuck you" at me). If the pedestrian is ignoring a "don't walk" sign, the driver going straight through a green light should not be ticketed, but I wouldn't put it past DC to start issuing such tickets using cameras.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Given how anti-car DC is, they would probably expressly engineer the cameras to give a ticket even if the pedestrian darted into the freeway at the last possible second just 2 feet in front of a car.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2013, 08:04:01 AM
DC adding cameras to enforce stop signs, box-blocking, and yielding to pedestrians.

I wonder if they'll ticket you even if the pedestrian is in the wrong. Last night I was in Alexandria and a woman with a small child waited until I had a green light and then waddled out into the crosswalk right as I started to drive (and managed to pause for her mobile phone conversation long enough to scream "fuck you" at me). If the pedestrian is ignoring a "don't walk" sign, the driver going straight through a green light should not be ticketed, but I wouldn't put it past DC to start issuing such tickets using cameras.

Unfortunately cameras are absolute and will make no exceptions, even if an idiot on a mobile phone jaywalks. Ugh, too much reliance on devices to do a job that requires an actual person...

1995hoo

Quote from: Alex on August 30, 2013, 10:24:38 AM

Unfortunately cameras are absolute and will make no exceptions, even if an idiot on a mobile phone jaywalks. Ugh, too much reliance on devices to do a job that requires an actual person...

Well, you know, I wonder about it and here's why: Surely a camera can be tied into the light cycle, right? If you have a green light, for example, the red-light camera isn't supposed to ticket you for going through (I know I've never received any such ticket). Surely the pedestrian camera can likewise be tied to the light cycle so that if a driver proceeds straight through the light (I emphasize straight through), the camera will not fire, even if a pedestrian illegally crosses against a "DON'T WALK" sign. However, I have zero confidence in DC that this will happen. As "vdeane" says, DC's anti-car mentality is consistently getting worse, but taking the Metro to Capitals or Nationals games is not something I consider a serious option except in special circumstances (e.g., on the day of the Christmas tree lighting on the Ellipse, I'll take the Metro to Verizon Center because of all the street closures). It's faster, cheaper, more pleasant, and more reliable to drive. I suppose if it comes down to it I might just have to reconsider whether to continue going to games, which is a shame.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alex on August 30, 2013, 10:24:38 AM

District of Columbia municipal police officers, with rare exceptions, are not interested in writing traffic tickets.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on August 29, 2013, 10:27:48 PM
Given how anti-car DC is, they would probably expressly engineer the cameras to give a ticket even if the pedestrian darted into the freeway at the last possible second just 2 feet in front of a car.

I agree.  However, D.C. is curiously not anti-car when it comes to collecting taxes and fees and fines from drivers to subsidize mass transit (including the excellent Circulator bus system).

The automated enforcement is about collecting more fines from drivers that do not live in the District of Columbia.  Since the  District is prohibited by its charter from levying a so-called commuter tax (the holy grail of more than a few D.C. politicians), this is the alternative.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 30, 2013, 10:48:35 AM
District of Columbia municipal police officers, with rare exceptions, are not interested in writing traffic tickets.

indeed.  I once ran a red fair and square, and got off with a warning.

(it was one of those L'Enfant anachronisms where an intersection is followed within ~20 feet by another one that is completely independent of it.  one turned green and I zoomed through both.)

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Washington Post:   Dirt bike dreams face reality of D.C. police enforcement

Barry tweets concerns about D.C. dirt bike enforcement

The above are especially amusing, given that former D.C. Mayor-for-Life Marion Shepilov Barry, Jr. used to preach that transit was the solution for all transportation problems as a founding member of the anti-highway/anti-auto Emergency Committee on the Transportation Crisis (but, of course, never for himself - and apparently not for his current Ward 8 constituents either).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 30, 2013, 11:25:04 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 30, 2013, 10:48:35 AM

indeed.  I once ran a red fair and square, and got off with a warning.

I am surprised that you were even stopped!

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 30, 2013, 11:25:04 AM
(it was one of those L'Enfant anachronisms where an intersection is followed within ~20 feet by another one that is completely independent of it.  one turned green and I zoomed through both.)

Those are pretty common in some parts of D.C.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 30, 2013, 12:01:24 PM

she was right behind me, in a marked police vehicle!  I think at that point she figured "gosh, I guess I have to".

it was also a Saturday at ~2am so I was probably given a quick once-over to verify my sobriety.

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 30, 2013, 12:04:50 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 30, 2013, 12:01:24 PM

she was right behind me, in a marked police vehicle!  I think at that point she figured "gosh, I guess I have to".

it was also a Saturday at ~2am so I was probably given a quick once-over to verify my sobriety.

That makes sense. 

Most D.C. cops could care less about traffic infractions - even those involving alcohol.

1995hoo

WTOP has a story about the stop sign cameras in which they set up a video camera near a stop sign to see how many people came to a complete stop. They say in five minutes, six out of 21 vehicles stopped fully. But the part of the video that made me ponder the idea of cameras is watching how few people stop behind the stop bar (hardly unique to this intersection, of course). If DC really wanted to make a killing, they'd set the cameras to ticket anyone who fails to come to a complete stop completely behind the line. I wouldn't put it past them, either.

Brandon

DC drivers, as far as I am concerned, have earned their place as some of the worst in the nation.  It is, to date, the only place where we had a vehicle behind us make a Pittsburgh Left as we were waiting for opposing traffic to clear.  We were in the intersection waiting to make our left turn when a cab behind us suddenly did so cutting off opposing traffic.  I've never had that happen in Chicago, and Chicago drivers are not known for patience nor etiquette on the road.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on August 30, 2013, 02:12:45 PM
DC drivers, as far as I am concerned, have earned their place as some of the worst in the nation.  It is, to date, the only place where we had a vehicle behind us make a Pittsburgh Left as we were waiting for opposing traffic to clear.  We were in the intersection waiting to make our left turn when a cab behind us suddenly did so cutting off opposing traffic.  I've never had that happen in Chicago, and Chicago drivers are not known for patience nor etiquette on the road.

I'd expect that to happen in Miami.  I'd expect the offending vehicle to come out of the right lane.

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Brandon on August 30, 2013, 02:12:45 PM

Pittsburgh lefts are very common in the District of Columbia.  Maybe we should call them D.C. lefts? Many D.C. drivers will also drive in the opposing traffic lane to make a left at the next intersection if the "coast is clear."  Another favorite is driving on the shoulder (of the relatively few roads with  shoulders in D.C.) in congested conditions.

Then there's (what I call) the D.C. queue jump.  Many streets in D.C. (even busy ones) are two lane, but just open one lane in each direction, with parked cars in the right lane (sometimes there is no parking during peak demand periods, but not always).  But those busy two-lane streets often have bus stops (no parking anytime at the bus stop), usually located just before a signalized intersection.  So if there is not a bus servicing  the stop, aggressive D.C. drivers will use the (vacant) right lane where the bus stop is to jump around other traffic waiting at a signal, cutting in front of other drivers (and sometimes putting pedestrians at great risk). 

I am usually  aware of this, and if I am first at a signalized light in the left lane when a prospective queue jumper pulls up next to me (usually  very easy to predict them), I will (if no pedestrians are jaywalking or vehicles present in the intersection on the cross street) make a point of taking off immediately when the light changes to green (hard acceleration is not required), which is usually enough to strand them behind parked cars on the other side of the intersection, since the platoon of vehicles behind me will usually not let them in.

D.C. has a lot of drivers (like those above) that would be much happier if they had an adequate system of urban freeways and expressways to drive on, but the politicians that they vote for don't want that.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2013, 01:38:49 PM
WTOP has a story about the stop sign cameras in which they set up a video camera near a stop sign to see how many people came to a complete stop. They say in five minutes, six out of 21 vehicles stopped fully. But the part of the video that made me ponder the idea of cameras is watching how few people stop behind the stop bar (hardly unique to this intersection, of course). If DC really wanted to make a killing, they'd set the cameras to ticket anyone who fails to come to a complete stop completely behind the line. I wouldn't put it past them, either.

I always stop at STOP signs (even in D.C., where there are thousands of STOP signs that have been installed even if they were not warranted, most as a form of "traffic calming" (even though that practice is frowned upon in the MUTCD ["YIELD or STOP signs should not be used for speed control"] and according to a research paper I found on the ITE Web site does not reduce speeds (here, Adobe Acrobat .pdf)).  Usually I engage first gear to reduce clutch wear, which can only be done at a complete stop. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 30, 2013, 02:31:00 PM
I am usually  aware of this, and if I am first at a signalized light in the left lane when a prospective queue jumper pulls up next to me (usually  very easy to predict them), I will (if no pedestrians are jaywalking or vehicles present in the intersection on the cross street) make a point of taking off immediately when the light changes to green (hard acceleration is not required), which is usually enough to strand them behind parked cars on the other side of the intersection, since the platoon of vehicles behind me will usually not let them in.

I'd get in just behind you, then, and still very likely ahead of those who are moseying off the green.

I don't think this "queue jumping" is all that dangerous a habit... at least, not out here, as the roads on which I do this tend to have a lot fewer pedestrians.  so I may just not be imagining it correctly; but wouldn't the pedestrians at the light be going parallel to the flow of vehicular traffic once the light turns green? 

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 30, 2013, 02:49:12 PM

I'd get in just behind you, then, and still very likely ahead of those who are moseying off the green.

I don't think this "queue jumping" is all that dangerous a habit... at least, not out here, as the roads on which I do this tend to have a lot fewer pedestrians.  so I may just not be imagining it correctly; but wouldn't the pedestrians at the light be going parallel to the flow of vehicular traffic once the light turns green?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In the District of Columbia, the prevailing attitude among many pedestrians seems to be, "If I want to walk, I get to walk whenever and wherever I want." It's often very hard to gun it off the line in the District because there are so many jaywalkers who continue to walk after the light changes. A lot of them don't hop to it, either. I'd say more, but I think I'd offend some people if I engaged in various stereotyping.

Heck, on Wednesday night my wife and I were heading to dinner in Old Town Alexandria in Virginia (just across the river from DC). A pedestrian waited on the curb and then, as soon as I got a green light, walked into the street in front of me against the light. Worse, she had a small child holding her hand. I'm positive she deliberately waited just to be obnoxious.

cpzilliacus

That sometimes happens, but since I don't speed (obeying the nearly citywide 25 MPH limit), that still angers the failed queue jumper who probably wants to be zipping along at between 40MPH and 50 MPH (until arriving at the next red light - D.C. signals are often very  poorly timed).

In theory, yes, pedestrians would be walking parallel to the flow of traffic with the green signal. 

But jaywalking in the District of Columbia is common (and pervasive) at many intersections - often drunks or young people (or young drunks).  I don't want to mow-down a D.C. jaywalker, even for jaywalking. 

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 30, 2013, 02:56:25 PM

But jaywalking in the District of Columbia is common (and pervasive) at many intersections - often drunks or young people (or young drunks).  I don't want to mow-down a D.C. jaywalker, even for jaywalking. 

I often want to mow them down, but I refrain from doing so because I don't want to go to jail.

DeaconG

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2013, 02:57:10 PM

I often want to mow them down, but I refrain from doing so because I don't want to go to jail.

Death Race 2000 flashbacks?
"Mow down six pedestrians-same player shoots again!"
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

agentsteel53

got it.  I'm used to Boston and New York jaywalkers, who seem to have their brains about them.  they time it as to not impede someone with a green light.

in California, nearly no one jaywalks... if they do, they time it like someone from the aforementioned categories.  the only pedestrian conflicts we have out here are with right or left turning traffic.

for some reason, I don't remember driving in DC to be particularly stressful.  I remember it being comparable to various other cities in the northeast.  not quite as good as New York, but hardly anywhere is.  Boston comes close.  but DC, Baltimore, Philly, etc all seem similar to me.

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 30, 2013, 03:18:15 PM

got it.  I'm used to Boston and New York jaywalkers, who seem to have their brains about them.  they time it as to not impede someone with a green light.

To me, this is the key. I wouldn't give a rat's arse about jaywalking if people did it intelligently so as not to hold up traffic. NE2's standard rant notwithstanding, I'm not about to run over anyone, even if I'd like to do so.....but it shouldn't be a question either way!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.