News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Line Painting

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 20, 2012, 10:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: doofy103 on September 22, 2012, 04:04:48 PM
When CT does a new repaving project on an interstate, instead of putting epoxy down for the center broken line, they use what I call "stickers" b/c they look like it. They also come up easily and sometimes you seem them accross the road.

Maybe CT has a "same day" marking policy, and the "stickers" are meant to be temporary until they place the permanent markings? Occasionally around here, you'll see small one-inch tall tags stuck on the pavement to temporarily mark the lanes after a chip seal, seal coat, or mill and overlay project.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: DaBigE on September 22, 2012, 06:52:26 PM
When CT does a new repaving project on an interstate, instead of putting epoxy down for the center broken line, they use what I call "stickers" b/c they look like it. They also come up easily and sometimes you seem them accross the road.

Maybe CT has a "same day" marking policy, and the "stickers" are meant to be temporary until they place the permanent markings? Occasionally around here, you'll see small one-inch tall tags stuck on the pavement to temporarily mark the lanes after a chip seal, seal coat, or mill and overlay project.

They do have a same day policy I think, and they do use the one inch tags but the "stickers" (the best term I can think of) are permanent, b/c they are there for years after. CT DOT comes through and paints with epoxy the ones that have chipped away.  Snow plows do a number on the stickers.  Epoxy is usually unscathed.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Scott5114

I am fairly sure (but not 100% certain) that Oklahoma pavement markings are done with sidewalk chalk. They're about as durable and reflective.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

Quote from: roadfro on September 22, 2012, 04:59:43 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on September 21, 2012, 08:42:02 PM
Something odd I've noticed in a few states: onramps with no acceleration lane, but where the lines for the gore point become dashed before they meet, effectively fudging one in. Arizona seems to be a particularly common offender (example). What is the logic behind this? It seems to me to encourage drivers to wait until the last minute to merge, which could be dangerous.
I would think the opposite: Encourage drivers that are up to speed to merge into traffic earlier than waiting for the end of the painted gore.

Well, that is not what it encouraged me to do! The source of trouble is that there is no acceleration lane at the end of the gore. If there were, this would be a non-issue. But crossing the gore to merge rather than having it be a standard lane change is, to me at least, more imposing to do since there is more space to cross to get from the ramp to the travel lane. Intuitively, I want to wait for the end of the gore point before I merge in. But maybe a lot of that is just a matter of what I'm used to. Anyone who grew up driving in Arizona care to weigh in?

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

BiggieJohn

Quote from: DaBigE on September 22, 2012, 06:52:26 PM

In central Texas, those "temporary" markers are sometimes left in place for weeks before they get around to painting lanes.  Yes, even on I-35 I've seen this happen.  The business park where I work (city maintained roads) was chip coated about 2 months ago, most of the temporary markings are now torn off and there are no lane markings anymore. 

The High Plains Traveler

A comment from early in this thread brought up a question for me: in the "olden days" (pre-1970 or so) when it was common on two lane roads to have a continuous broken white center stripe with solid line on either or both sides, what states besides California did NOT follow this standard?  California always used two adjacent solid lines, switching from white to yellow early 1960s(?).
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alps

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on November 03, 2012, 10:33:49 AM
A comment from early in this thread brought up a question for me: in the "olden days" (pre-1970 or so) when it was common on two lane roads to have a continuous broken white center stripe with solid line on either or both sides, what states besides California did NOT follow this standard?  California always used two adjacent solid lines, switching from white to yellow early 1960s(?).
I don't think what you say is common, was really all that common. States have always had their own variations.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Steve on November 03, 2012, 05:53:58 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on November 03, 2012, 10:33:49 AM
I don't think what you say is common, was really all that common. States have always had their own variations.
The 1948 and 1961 MUTCDs specified either type of double-no passing line (solid/solid or solid/dashed/solid). The change between those versions was allowing white or yellow for solid lines separating opposing directions of traffic in 1948 and specifying yellow for the solid line in 1961. The 1971 update limited states to the current 2-line system as well as changing all lines separating opposing lanes of traffic to yellow.

The problem with growing up in a geographically large state, even with parents who traveled a lot, was not seeing a lot of what other states did. In the west, the bordering states to California all had the continous dashed line, as well as any other states beyond that I remember traveling to. We never ventured beyond the west, so I wouldn't have seen what southern states were doing.

And, was the federal funding hammer significant enough that states had to adhere to the MUTCD back then, or as Steve suggests were there other variations? 
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alps

Oh, MUTCD compliance took a long time. Around here, most states would have used single broken or solid white lines. A couple had double whites, and there may have even been some yellow use thrown in. The MUTCD took a long time to really be a national standard, especially for anything other than signs.

Roadsguy

Does anyone know about when states like PA switched from NJ Turnpike-style long dotted lines to currently normal shorter ones? It was sometime in or after the 70's, I know...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fNYg5m5sz9Tz49xV6
Not so much poor as ignorance. Having the through road to the right drop to one lane so the left lane can default into the ramp on the left and then immediately resume two lanes beyond the apex.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.