News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY 531 Terminus Project

Started by steviep24, January 28, 2015, 01:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steviep24

The NYSDOT has released their most recent proposals to improve the intersection of NY 531 at NY 36 and also to improve the transition with NY 31.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/rte531-terminus-project

Illustrations of the proposed project. (PDFs):

Preferred alternative:
NY 531/NY 36 intersection
NY 31 improvements

Other alternatives under consideration:
Full Diamond Interchange
Super Street Intersection
No Build Option (Do Nothing) (This option is unlikely though - improvements are badly needed here.)

Alternatives no longer under consideration:
Half diamond interchange with WB NY 531 crossing over NY 31. (Page 4 of PDF)
Roundabout (Page 23 of this PDF)

Personally, I would prefer that a full diamond interchange be built at this location due to the amount of traffic that uses the NY 31/NY 531 corridor.

Also, NY 531 should be extended to Brockport but that will probably never happen.

empirestate

I'm curious why they didn't include an option where WB route 31 continues along the straight through path: i.e., making what's now a two-way highway into a one-way ramp and vice versa.

steviep24

Quote from: empirestate on January 28, 2015, 01:40:45 PM
I'm curious why they didn't include an option where WB route 31 continues along the straight through path: i.e., making what's now a two-way highway into a one-way ramp and vice versa.
I was thinking the same thing. I found it strange that they weren't going to have WB 31 continue straight through.

EDIT: I found another option that uses a half diamond interchange with route 31 being continuous in both directions.
(Page 4 of this PDF) NYSDOT is no longer considering this option.

vdeane

I preferred the diamond interchange as well.  Gets rid of the light, and would have tied into a potential extension nicely.  I can think of a couple reasons for using the intersection though.  Obviously, it costs less.  Region 4 was trying to convince the federal government to pay for the project; that didn't work out.  Also, the road is right next to a park (and freeway extensions would go right through it) and there's a guy who lives near there would would NOT tolerate building anything resembling a freeway (he even raises a stink if Christmas lights go up in the park).

I wouldn't be surprised if doing the intersection over the diamond is Region 4's way of saying "the expressway is cancelled, stop asking for it".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

steviep24

This project is now under way. Expected to be completed in the Fall of 2018. Drove in the area yesterday and the ramp for eastbound NY 531 from NY 31 has been removed for the time being. Detours are in place for NY 36.

This is the design NYSDOT is constructing here.
https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/content/delivery/region4/projects/453107-Home/453107-Repository/exh3.2.1-2_conv%20signalized%20intx%20alt%202_20140407v01.pdf

WNYroadgeek

I take it both NY 36 and NY 531 would be truncated slightly?

vdeane

I would think so.  NY 31 will be routed over that piece of NY 36 and what was the "ramp" to NY 531.  Of course, NY 531 westbound will be as it always was, since the ramp was eastbound only
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

yakra

Quote from: vdeane on June 19, 2017, 12:58:04 PM
Of course, NY 531 westbound will be as it always was, since the ramp was eastbound only
Eastbound, rather?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

empirestate

Quote from: yakra on June 24, 2017, 01:58:15 PM
Of course, NY 531 westbound will be as it always was, since the ramp was eastbound only
Eastbound, rather?

No, westbound: it will end at NY 36, as it always had. Eastbound will now begin at NY 36, whereas it used to start a bit farther to the west.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on June 24, 2017, 04:47:09 PM
Quote from: yakra on June 24, 2017, 01:58:15 PM
Eastbound, rather?

No, westbound: it will end at NY 36, as it always had. Eastbound will now begin at NY 36, whereas it used to start a bit farther to the west.

Correct. EB currently starts at NY 31, which was about 1/4 mile to the west. Basically, the one-way ramp is being widened to two-way and that'll become a realigned NY 31.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

yakra

Doy.  :banghead: 'swhat I get for posting first thing in the afternoon.  :coffee: :coffee:
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

webny99

This project is progressing quite nicely. It looks like the new alignment and widening of NY 31 is on schedule to open later this year.

While I would have preferred the freeway extension, upgrades are so sorely needed here that I'm still eagerly anticipating completion.

steviep24

I was in that area yesterday. NY 31 westbound is now closed (NY 104 is the detour) and a bypass was built for eastbound traffic to use while the transition of 31/531 is being built

webny99

Quote from: steviep24 on June 04, 2018, 05:05:54 PM
I was in that area yesterday. NY 31 westbound is now closed (NY 104 is the detour)

I've been trying to get out there every few weeks to keep updated on the project.
More specifically, the posted detour follows Manitou Road north, NY 104 west, and NY 260 south. That's one heck of a detour; I wouldn't even consider following it, since taking Washington Street from 531 north to Canal Road, then a short jog down Gallup Road and west on Campbell Road is infinitely shorter. Why lose out on five freeway miles when the freeway itself is open?

Quotea bypass was built for eastbound traffic to use while the transition of 31/531 is being built

Actually, it seems like eastbound traffic is now using the new westbound roadway. Keep in mind that when complete, there will be a median on 31 all the way from 531 to past Gallup Rd. Also, a large segment of new westbound roadway had to be built to provide for channelized left turns at the Gallup Rd. intersection.

steviep24

Quote from: webny99 on June 04, 2018, 06:05:42 PM
Quote from: steviep24 on June 04, 2018, 05:05:54 PM
I was in that area yesterday. NY 31 westbound is now closed (NY 104 is the detour)

I've been trying to get out there every few weeks to keep updated on the project.
More specifically, the posted detour follows Manitou Road north, NY 104 west, and NY 260 south. That's one heck of a detour; I wouldn't even consider following it, since taking Washington Street from 531 north to Canal Road, then a short jog down Gallup Road and west on Campbell Road is infinitely shorter. Why lose out on five freeway miles when the freeway itself is open?

Quotea bypass was built for eastbound traffic to use while the transition of 31/531 is being built

Actually, it seems like eastbound traffic is now using the new westbound roadway. Keep in mind that when complete, there will be a median on 31 all the way from 531 to past Gallup Rd. Also, a large segment of new westbound roadway had to be built to provide for channelized left turns at the Gallup Rd. intersection.
I sometimes bypass 31 by using Colby St. which runs parallel with 31 to the south on the other side of the park and also has very little traffic.

yakra

If OSM is to be believed, this project is now complete.
Getting a handle on things to update TravelMapping. Does the following sound about right?

NY531:
Truncated. No longer on the former one-way ramp, as that's part of a relocated NY31 now. New terminus at the NY31/36 junction, at Washington St.

NY31:
Removed from Brockport-Spencerport Rd between the former terminus of NY531 & Washington St, and relocated onto the former one-way ramp and Washington St.

NY36:
I'm guessing this may be truncated a bit. Not much sense in having a useless duplex with NY31 to Brockport-Spencerport Rd, where NY31 takes a 90° turn, without a junction with other numbered routes here.

steviep24

Quote from: yakra on October 07, 2018, 02:31:16 PM
If OSM is to be believed, this project is now complete.
Getting a handle on things to update TravelMapping. Does the following sound about right?

NY531:
Truncated. No longer on the former one-way ramp, as that's part of a relocated NY31 now. New terminus at the NY31/36 junction, at Washington St.

NY31:
Removed from Brockport-Spencerport Rd between the former terminus of NY531 & Washington St, and relocated onto the former one-way ramp and Washington St.

NY36:
I'm guessing this may be truncated a bit. Not much sense in having a useless duplex with NY31 to Brockport-Spencerport Rd, where NY31 takes a 90° turn, without a junction with other numbered routes here.
I drove through there recently and it is complete and is how you describe. NY 36 is now truncated at NY 531/31.

vdeane

Question: were the mileposts along the route adjusted to reflect truncation?  The ones that were there included the mileage from the one-way ramp; looks like they were still there when street view went through.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on October 08, 2018, 08:34:30 PM
Question: were the mileposts along the route adjusted to reflect truncation?  The ones that were there included the mileage from the one-way ramp; looks like they were still there when street view went through.

Not sure; will have to notice next time I'm through and let you know!

baugh17

I drove through there a week ago Sunday and it appeared the only work that was still ongoing was at the old NY 31/NY 36 intersection.

yakra

Also, a large segment of new westbound roadway had to be built to provide for channelized left turns at the Gallup Rd. intersection.
Hubbell Road too. Looks like in this case, it'll wipe out at least 2 of the 3 houses right there at the junction. I have to wonder why the new lanes weren't created to the south of the existing roadway instead. I guess that
- There were wetland concerns due to the proximity to Salmon Creek, or
- Taking any amount of land from Northampton Park would be a political non-starter

webny99

Quote from: yakra on October 11, 2018, 12:41:41 PM
Also, a large segment of new westbound roadway had to be built to provide for channelized left turns at the Gallup Rd. intersection.
Hubbell Road too. Looks like in this case, it'll wipe out at least 2 of the 3 houses right there at the junction. I have to wonder why the new lanes weren't created to the south of the existing roadway instead. I guess that
- There were wetland concerns due to the proximity to Salmon Creek, or
- Taking any amount of land from Northampton Park would be a political non-starter

Whoops. In my original post I meant Hubbell, not Gallup. :banghead:

In fact, what was done at Gallup Road was actually much simpler and required less ROW than at Hubbell Road. Reconfiguration of the NY 31/Hubbell Road intersection was considerably more extensive, as can be seen here.
And yeah, my guess is that NY 31 was widened on the north side at Hubbell because  of the factors you mention, as well as the fact that doing it this way has less impact on Hubbell Road itself.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cl94

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 05, 2022, 10:13:27 PM
I am not so sure that NY 36 was truncated with the END sign being where NY 31 turns instead of at NY 531.

Could be erroneous, because we also have this end sign at NY 531. That being said, it's inconclusive. NYSDOT GIS shows both on that segment, but there are enough errors elsewhere that I wouldn't trust that as authoritative.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

The NY 31 WB and Washington St approaches also have NY 36 SB signed at the north end of the NY 31 jog.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.