Routes that leave a road and come back to it

Started by hotdogPi, June 21, 2016, 08:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianocello

A bit of a stretch, but US-6 in Iowa is concurrent with I-80 west of Des Moines, leaves the road at Newton, and rejoins it near Wilton, some 100 miles later. In other words, if you remain on the road (I-80) long enough without turning, US-6 will join it again.

I'm sure there are other examples as well. I'm not sure this should count...
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Buck87

US 23 in Columbus, which leaves and comes back to High Street.

GCrites

I imagine there was a time that 23 was always on High Street. Probably when Summit southbound stopped at Lincoln St. north of Downtown.

Max Rockatansky

I'm surprised nobody said anything about US 6 in the Rockies since it leaves and comes back to I-70 multiple times.

epzik8

U.S. Route 222 and Pennsylvania Route 272 have a brief concurrency in Fulton Township, Lancaster County in a village called Wakefield. After both routes pass through Lancaster city, they meet up again on the U.S. Route 30 freeway north of Lancaster. U.S. 222 then shifts north as a freeway in its own right up toward Reading and Allentown, with PA-272 paralleling it until that route ends at the Berks County line in between Lancaster and Reading. They also parallel each other (several miles apart) in almost the whole stretch between the Maryland state line and Lancaster. Until yesterday when I drove through Lancaster on U.S. 222, I thought 222 and 272 were concurrent beginning in Willow Street, a borough to the south of Lancaster, and then through Lancaster itself.

U.S. Route 40 splits from I-70 east of Hancock, Maryland after being concurrent with I-68 most of I-68's way through Maryland. U.S. 40 then rejoins I-70 in Frederick, 44 miles to the east, at the same exit that I-270 ends. 29 miles after that, to the west of Ellicott City in Howard County, U.S. 40 leaves I-70 for good. I-70 of course ends in a parking lot at the Baltimore city line about 11 miles later. U.S. 40 meanwhile ends up in Atlantic City.

Not a concurrency, but U.S. Route 1 Business in Bel Air, Maryland, which I live right up the road from, crosses paths with mainline U.S. Route 1 in between Bel Air and a crossroads called Hickory; this is where the U.S. Route 1 "Bel Air Bypass" becomes the "Hickory Bypass". North of Hickory, Business U.S. 1 reaches its northern end at mainline U.S. 1. It's only been like that since around late 2000/early 2001, when the Hickory Bypass and a small extension of Maryland Route 23 opened. For the previous 35 or so years before that, there was only the Bel Air Bypass which ended slightly south of the point where U.S. 1 and Business U.S. 1 cross paths today, and the Hickory portion of Business U.S. 1 was part of mainline U.S. 1. Before 1966 or so there was no Bel Air Bypass either, and mainline U.S. 1 passed straight through downtown Bel Air.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

7/8

Assuming I'm understanding this right:

In Ontario, the 403 both starts and ends at the 401.

cappicard

I'd say US 40 throughout Kansas.

It first joins I-70 at Oakley. It remains multiplexed with 70 until just before the Kansas Turnpike in Topeka. It leaves 70 along with K-4.

It then rejoins I-70 at Exit 224 in Bonner Springs where US-24 also rejoins the Interstate after a long separation after leaving it at Colby. US 73 also terminates at that very same interchange.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

CA 172 starts at CA 36 and ends back at it when it picks up CA 89.  As discussed in the CA 245/other obscure CA highways thread it was actually part of CA 36 back in the 1930s.

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on June 22, 2016, 07:20:19 AM
FL 50 does in Brooksville, in one direction anyway as the downtown it bypasses, has a one way pair.
Actually, that's FL 50A.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 13, 2016, 11:33:17 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 22, 2016, 07:20:19 AM
FL 50 does in Brooksville, in one direction anyway as the downtown it bypasses, has a one way pair.
Actually, that's FL 50A.

Want a real obscure one in Florida?....Florida 436 coming back to FL 15.  Basically you got FL 436 intersecting US 17/92 in Altamont Springs which is the hidden FL 15.  FL 436 and FL 15 meet again at Semoran and Hoffner to the south near Orlando International Airport.

TR69

Well, this isn't a *great* example, but in West Buechel, KY, US 31E/150 follows Bardstown Road, then curves to the west as Buechel Bypass, rejoining Bardstown Road soon thereafter. Bardstown Road itself is continuous between the two points where 31E/150 leave and rejoin, and can be followed by through traffic without a 90 degree turn (Bardstown Road merges with Buechel Bypass).

Here's a better example. US 41 coming up from the south on Indianapolis Blvd into Hammond, IN, exits Indianapolis Blvd to multiplex with I-94 while Indianapolis Blvd continues north through Hammond. US 41 soon leaves I-94 to go north on Calumet Ave, paralleling Indianapolis Blvd. Eventually Indianapolis Blvd curves to the northwest and intersects Calumet Blvd, where US 41 rejoins Indianapolis Blvd. So, one could just stay on Indianapolis Blvd, leaving and then rejoining US 41 without making a turn.

Buffaboy

River Road in Tonawanda, NY, has 2 interchanges about 2 miles apart.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

jwolfer

In Florida SR 228 is multiplexed with i10 for a short bit near downtown Jacksonville. It leaves and around 24 miles west in Macclenny it has an exit with i10 once again. 

A part of it is Duval and Baker CR 228 in the middle but all the same route

hotdogPi

Quote from: jwolfer on August 14, 2016, 11:18:15 AM
In Florida SR 228 is multiplexed with i10 for a short bit near downtown Jacksonville. It leaves and around 24 miles west in Macclenny it has an exit with i10 once again. 

A part of it is Duval and Baker CR 228 in the middle but all the same route

It doesn't multiplex with I-10 in Macclenny. Also, 228 turns at least once in those 24 miles.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

capt.ron

AR 184 leaves US 64 in Parkin and rejoins US 64 in Earle.

Bickendan

Setting aside OR 99 and US 30 in Oregon and Idaho (too easy), BC 1. Yep, the TCH. Leaves the freeway in Hope, rejoins it near Kamloops.

Darkchylde

PA 61 near Centralia - for good reason, since the old road inbetween where the designation turns off and comes back is undrivable from the mine fire.

cooperrhall

US 41 at IN 63 in Indiana probably counts, since it exits and returns to the continuous mainline highway.
- Coop

bing101

I-405 From Sylmar/San Fernando Valley next to I-5. I-405 freeway goes to the west side of Los Angeles and Orange county to the El Toro Y where it meets I-5 again.

I-405 in Washington does the same thing and I-405 in Oregon.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on September 08, 2016, 06:44:38 PM
I-405 From Sylmar/San Fernando Valley next to I-5. I-405 freeway goes to the west side of Los Angeles and Orange county to the El Toro Y where it meets I-5 again.

I-405 in Washington does the same thing and I-405 in Oregon.

That's not what this thread is about.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.