News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 08:52:39 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on Today at 02:14:15 AMWith the commercial office space situation post-covid, I'd be stunned if there's another major skyscraper not already in the pipeline built in the next 20 years.

Pretty bold prediction honestly.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Madison Area
Last post by Molandfreak - Today at 08:42:45 PM
Raymond Road is such a random-ass place to have the first traffic light since Dubuque. I can forgive not replacing the SPUI at the beltline. At least that makes some sense to permanently end the expressway there even if it's not what I'd rather see, but really at a road that isn't even on the NHS?
Off-Topic / Re: Layoffs at Tesla
Last post by CtrlAltDel - Today at 08:38:58 PM
Quote from: bing101 on April 16, 2024, 01:33:44 AMAlso the issue here is that Elon Musk is the CEO of multiple companies at the same time how does he manage all of his operations from SpaceX, Tesla, and X.

Well, one former manager at Tesla described Musk as a pigeon CEO, that is, "he comes, shits all over us, and goes." A bit biased, but a bit funny as well.
Southeast / Re: I-40 in North Carolina
Last post by cowboy_wilhelm - Today at 08:20:24 PM
The design year traffic volume is at least 20 years from the time construction is planned to start. The design year is 2040 for this project, which is now the estimated let date. The problem is the final planning document was signed by the FHWA in 2018. Things kind of get etched into stone at that point. The final design plans can't deviate very much from what was complete when the planning document was signed without starting the planning and review process all over again. Design and planning is expensive and lead to further delays. An updated traffic forecast may still happen, but unless the forecast shows the proposed design won't operate at an acceptable level of service in the new design year, the design is unlikely to change. So, unless there are drastic changes to the land use in the area and/or significant increases in traffic volumes, the design probably won't change at this point. Traffic counts at the interchange from the past several years don't really reflect that, but the latest counts are from 2022.

I can think of several other projects off hand that have traffic forecasts that are many years old with no sign of construction starting within the next decade and have wondered if they will remain unchanged or not.

I still don't know why a SPUI wasn't considered for this location and why NCDOT doesn't build them now. They specifically cited the right-of-way limitations at this interchange as a reason for not going with a different design than what was selected. It's been several years (decade?) since a SPUI was constructed in North Carolina, and I only know of one that is still proposed at Glenwood Ave./Brier Creek Pkwy. in Raleigh. Yeah, they're expensive, but it seems like these types of locations would warrant the compact design and associated cost.
Sports / Re: What Sports Teams Have You...
Last post by thspfc - Today at 07:34:08 PM
From just the US' big four . . .

NFL
Vikings (x3)
Packers
Chargers
Chiefs

MLB
Brewers (x7)
Reds (x2)
Pirates (x2)
Cardinals
Cubs
White Sox
Padres
Twins

NHL
Stars (x5)
Wild (x3)
Blues (x2)
Jets (x2)
Islanders
Panthers
Kings
Flames

NBA
none

Could expand this to ask how many championship teams I've seen, which is, weirdly, a lot. 2011 StL Cardinals (IIRC, not certain), 2013-14 LA Kings, 2023 Chiefs, as well as 2023 Michigan football. None were postseason games.
Central States / Re: Missouri
Last post by afguy - Today at 06:26:33 PM
The Missouri Senate is now taking their turn with the budget. So far funding for Amtrak service between Kansas City and St. Joseph and adding a third daily train between St. Louis and Kansas City have been nixed. The senate plan would however provide $60 million to go toward the conversion of U.S. 67 near Poplar Bluff into I-57. Also, Senator Lincoln Hough, who chairs the Senate Appropriations Committee, said changes would be made to the House plan for funding I-44 expansion. Now whether that means more money for the plan or not remains to be seen.

Missouri Senate weighs in on budget, adds highway funding and raises for low-income workers
QuoteAfter months of waiting, the Senate Appropriations Committee's work marks the beginning of the final push toward passage of a massive package of bills that keep state government operating, with money for schools, roads and social services.

Among changes promised by Sen. Lincoln Hough, R-Springfield, who chairs the powerful panel, is the restoration of Gov. Mike Parson's call for universities to get a 3% increase in their state funding, up from the 2% level endorsed by the House.

Hough also said the Senate version will offer a different approach to improving Interstate 44. The House budget called for $728 million to widen the heavily traveled, cross-state route in key spots near Springfield, Joplin and Rolla."Governor Parson and I met last week to discuss the plan and we agreed on some changes," Hough said.

Also on tap is the expansion of U.S. Route 67 near Poplar Bluff to pave the way for transforming the roadway into Interstate 57 to the Missouri-Arkansas border. The Senate plan would bring spending on the expansion to $60 million with the possibility of additional federal dollars on the way.

Left by the wayside is a request by the Missouri Department of Transportation to add Amtrak service from Kansas City to St. Joseph and Kansas City to southwest Missouri.

The $38 million passenger rail plan also would have added a third daily train between St. Louis and Kansas City, but neither the House nor Senate funded the idea.

The Senate proposal, which will be debated at the committee level over the next two to three days, will give more than 40,000 state employees 3.2% raises, as was recommended by the governor.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/government-politics/missouri-senate-weighs-in-on-budget-adds-highway-funding-and-raises-for-low-income-workers/article_3e2402ca-01b6-11ef-a743-a351d387c3a2.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
The thing about 316 is that the road actually was marked as IL 316 from 1963 to 1981.

Here in Montgomery County, old US 66 is marked with those signs as 934.
Sports / Re: Hockey
Last post by Stephane Dumas - Today at 06:17:35 PM
If the NY Islanders beat the Carolina Hurricanes, they could be a good candidate for the title of the Cinderella team this year.
Pacific Southwest / Re: CA 203
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 06:11:55 PM
I believe both were intended to be freeway/expressway all the way to the crest of the Sierra Nevada range.  Stuff like the freeway alignment which was intended to replace the Priest Grade were wild to read about in the CHPWs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.