News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

Started by roadman, October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: vdeane on October 11, 2022, 12:46:26 PM
I don't understand why CT 9 is using 29 and 30 for I-91.  It's one interchange.  Using the same number with letter suffixes is standard for such situations even in sequential.

Merritt Pkwy says hello.

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 11, 2022, 03:46:49 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 11, 2022, 12:46:26 PM
I don't understand why CT 9 is using 29 and 30 for I-91.  It's one interchange.  Using the same number with letter suffixes is standard for such situations even in sequential.

From CTDOT:

Q: How are the new exit numbers determined?

A: Exit numbers will be determined based on the mileage contained in the CTDOT Linear Referencing System. Mileage typically runs from south to north and west to east.
- No Exit 0
- Mileage 0.00 — 1.49 = Exit 1
- Mileage 1.50 — 2.99 = Exit 2
- Mileage 3.00 — 3.99 and beyond.
+ Round down to the nearest whole mile
- In some cases, the CTDOT may round up or down to the next nearest whole mile to reduce suffix letters or utilize the existing exit number.
- Splits on off-ramps will not be designated as separate numbers/suffix letters.
But as I said, it's one interchange.  Not two.  It would be like if I-395 had exits 13A/B numbered 12 and 13.  One would think that this conversion would be a chance to make the numbers more consistent, not less.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kramie13

1.5 years after the exit numbers were changed along I-495, Google Maps is still reporting the "old" exit number for US 1 South in Plainville.  The map is correct but the voiceover is not.

Here is a video describing what I experienced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ly3q1B5kG8

How do I report this to Google?

dantheman

I noticed recently that a weird hold-over from the old exit numbers has finally been fixed. On the ramp from I-291 to I-91 SB, there is an overhead sign for the Basketball Hall of Fame. For quite a while after I-91's exits were renumbered, this still said "Exit 6." Sometime in the last couple of months, it's finally been updated to "Exit 5A." I can't recall if it's a 100% new sign or just a patch over the old number... I'll have to look closer the next time I'm through there.

Street View shot of the old sign, from last August: https://goo.gl/maps/rn3K2Ed6EPRFkb4u7

(For a while, the "No Crossing To Exit 7" signs on that same ramp also were missing the new exit number. The state evidently opted to get rid of the signs completely, rather than update them.)

Last I saw (within the last couple of weeks), both the "Exit 2" on the 1/2 mile EB advance sign for the Lee exit on I-90 (now Exit 10) and "Exit 11A" on the I-90 EB gore sign (now Exit 106), both mentioned previously in this thread, were still showing. Are there any other goofs/damaged signs/etc. left that still have the old numbers peeking through?

DrSmith

Quote from: dantheman on February 05, 2023, 01:33:15 PM
I noticed recently that a weird hold-over from the old exit numbers has finally been fixed. On the ramp from I-291 to I-91 SB, there is an overhead sign for the Basketball Hall of Fame. For quite a while after I-91's exits were renumbered, this still said "Exit 6." Sometime in the last couple of months, it's finally been updated to "Exit 5A." I can't recall if it's a 100% new sign or just a patch over the old number... I'll have to look closer the next time I'm through there.

Street View shot of the old sign, from last August: https://goo.gl/maps/rn3K2Ed6EPRFkb4u7

(For a while, the "No Crossing To Exit 7" signs on that same ramp also were missing the new exit number. The state evidently opted to get rid of the signs completely, rather than update them.)

The "No Crossing to Exit 7" or 5B now are no longer necessary now. When I-91 viaduct was reconstructed a few years back they added a Jersey barrier so that the on-ramp from 291 could not cross to exit over the relatively short distance between the on-ramp from 291 and the Columbus Blvd exit. Prior to the barrier there were a lot of people that would make that lane change. You can see the lack of barrier and short distance there in the link below.

https://goo.gl/maps/Nh5ZX2QURgSchq9s8

There were a couple of errors in signs on I-190 heading into Worcester that referenced old exit numbers on I-290. Those were updated I believe.

dantheman

Another one bites the dust... the new number has fallen off of the EB gore sign at Exit 96 (old 11). Unless 11A has been fixed since the last time I went through, there's now two exits in a row EB where the gore sign shows the old number. If I'm not mistaken, this is new since the last time I went through the area in mid-January. The funny thing about this one is that the yellow "Old Exit 11" sign is still there, so it now reads "Exit 11/Old Exit 11."

(On the "No Crossing To Exit 7" signs... while I agree that they're no longer necessary, I have seen at least one driver try to make that crossing since the new concrete barrier was added. They were almost perpendicular to the main lanes of SB I-91 trying to get from the 291 onramp to the now-Exit 5B offramp. They were lucky that it was about 5 PM on a weekday and traffic was doing its usual rush hour crawl... otherwise it could've easily been a nasty T-bone accident. Only in Massachusetts.  :rolleyes: )

fwydriver405

I noticed a strange quirk in Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 90, Section 17A. Apperently this section on speed limits in Massachusetts still references old exit 21 (new exit 27) in Northampton on Interstate 91 and old exits 50 (new exit 70) in Danvers and 56 (new exit 83) in Newbury on Interstate 95. Did somebody forget to update this section when the exit renumbering was completed?

Quote from: Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 90, Section 17ASection 17A. Unless otherwise prohibited by federal law, the maximum speed for motor vehicles traveling on interstate highway route 90, the Massachusetts Turnpike, between the New York state border and the Westfield interchange, and from the Ludlow interchange to the Auburn interchange, interstate highway route 91 from the Vermont border to Northampton, exit 21, and interstate 95 from the Newbury interchange 56 to the Danvers interchange 50, shall be sixty-five miles per hour.

SectorZ

Quote from: fwydriver405 on February 23, 2023, 02:41:36 PM
I noticed a strange quirk in Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 90, Section 17A. Apperently this section on speed limits in Massachusetts still references old exit 21 (new exit 27) in Northampton on Interstate 91 and old exits 50 (new exit 70) in Danvers and 56 (new exit 83) in Newbury on Interstate 95. Did somebody forget to update this section when the exit renumbering was completed?

Quote from: Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 90, Section 17ASection 17A. Unless otherwise prohibited by federal law, the maximum speed for motor vehicles traveling on interstate highway route 90, the Massachusetts Turnpike, between the New York state border and the Westfield interchange, and from the Ludlow interchange to the Auburn interchange, interstate highway route 91 from the Vermont border to Northampton, exit 21, and interstate 95 from the Newbury interchange 56 to the Danvers interchange 50, shall be sixty-five miles per hour.

That law predates the full repeal of the 55 MPH NMSL in 1995, so it technically needs full repeal and not update.

kefkafloyd

Quote from: dantheman on February 05, 2023, 01:33:15 PM

It's a replacement number patch (although not like the other signs). Note that it looks like just the numeral was replaced; you can see the un-faded area from where the 5 used to be. This sign is a real oldie and I'm surprised it didn't get the axe when the latest round of sign replacements happened. It's about to have its fortieth birthday (Sept 1984 vintage).

kramie13

Quote from: dantheman on February 20, 2023, 02:54:15 PM
Another one bites the dust... the new number has fallen off of the EB gore sign at Exit 96 (old 11). Unless 11A has been fixed since the last time I went through, there's now two exits in a row EB where the gore sign shows the old number. If I'm not mistaken, this is new since the last time I went through the area in mid-January. The funny thing about this one is that the yellow "Old Exit 11" sign is still there, so it now reads "Exit 11/Old Exit 11."

I was just on the Mass Pike this past weekend.  Going east, the gore sign at the MA 122 exit now correctly displays "Exit 96".  The "96" is fabricated onto the sign and not "plated over".  The yellow "old exit 11" sign still exists beneath the new gore sign.

Meanwhile, at the I-495 exit, the damaged gore sign that still displayed "exit 11A" has been removed while a temporary exit ramp has been created.  This is due to the I-90/I-495 interchange being reconstructed.  A red (road work colored) "exit 106" gore sign is now displayed at this exit going east.

roadman65

Quote from: kramie13 on July 17, 2023, 02:22:14 PM
Quote from: dantheman on February 20, 2023, 02:54:15 PM

Meanwhile, at the I-495 exit, the damaged gore sign that still displayed "exit 11A" has been removed while a temporary exit ramp has been created.  This is due to the I-90/I-495 interchange being reconstructed.  A red (road work colored) "exit 106" gore sign is now displayed at this exit going east.

This I take what you mean?
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2632781,-71.5718849,3a,75y,61.83h,89.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1saadva6Or7LcQiSPqZGE-Sw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3Daadva6Or7LcQiSPqZGE-Sw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D215.09534%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

https://goo.gl/maps/XxxCqZV2uQw8Y5vd7
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.