News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ohio Turnpike News

Started by thenetwork, December 23, 2015, 08:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: theroadwayone on October 05, 2022, 02:15:05 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on September 06, 2022, 12:56:22 AM
Quote from: lepidopteran on September 06, 2022, 12:35:32 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 19, 2022, 02:28:00 PM
Did Ohio ever propose building any additional toll roads besides the Ohio Turnpike?
Not sure if this wasn't just some discussion on this or another board, but I remember reading something about having I-73 be built as a toll road between Toledo and Columbus.

For what it's worth, the closest thing to a toll bridge in the state is the 1.5 mile Cedar Point Causeway; the price is only $0.50 last I heard.  There are also at least two car ferries to Lake Erie islands, and two in the state that cross the Ohio River.  There was discussion to make the Brent Spence Bridge replacement a toll bridge, but both states seem to agree that is to be toll-free.
As has been discussed in other boards, where I-71, I-271, and I-90 currently are was going to be a toll road (a Cincinnati-Conneaut toll highway).  It would have tied into a short toll highway in Pennsylvania (using current I-90), which, in turn, would have connected to the New York Thruway.  This was proposed before 1956.  However, once President Eisenhower signed the Interstate Highway bill, all these proposed toll highways became the proposed routes for toll-free Interstate highways.
Would it have used the same ticket system as the E-W Turnpike, or would they have been separate?

Hard to say, but if I had to bet, the north-south "turnpike" probably would have had a tolling system similar to Jersey's Garden State Parkway.

I say that because the section of I-71 from Medina to Columbus was being built around the time the Ohio Turnpike opened up east to west, and the majority of the exit ramps were traditional freeway-styled ramps.  The only Double Trumpet interchange  was at US-224 in Lodi, and that was a very short connecting ramp with no groundwork for Toll Plazas.

Stephane Dumas

Did Ohio ever propose building any additional toll roads besides the Ohio Turnpike?
Not sure if this wasn't just some discussion on this or another board, but I remember reading something about having I-73 be built as a toll road between Toledo and Columbus.

For what it's worth, the closest thing to a toll bridge in the state is the 1.5 mile Cedar Point Causeway; the price is only $0.50 last I heard.  There are also at least two car ferries to Lake Erie islands, and two in the state that cross the Ohio River.  There was discussion to make the Brent Spence Bridge replacement a toll bridge, but both states seem to agree that is to be toll-free.
As has been discussed in other boards, where I-71, I-271, and I-90 currently are was going to be a toll road (a Cincinnati-Conneaut toll highway).  It would have tied into a short toll highway in Pennsylvania (using current I-90), which, in turn, would have connected to the New York Thruway.  This was proposed before 1956.  However, once President Eisenhower signed the Interstate Highway bill, all these proposed toll highways became the proposed routes for toll-free Interstate highways.
Would it have used the same ticket system as the E-W Turnpike, or would they have been separate?

Chances it might have used the same ticket system. However depending on how Metros Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus would have growth, some gaps would have been converted to coin drop in suburban areas.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: thenetwork on October 05, 2022, 06:51:46 PM

Hard to say, but if I had to bet, the north-south "turnpike" probably would have had a tolling system similar to Jersey's Garden State Parkway.

I say that because the section of I-71 from Medina to Columbus was being built around the time the Ohio Turnpike opened up east to west, and the majority of the exit ramps were traditional freeway-styled ramps.  The only Double Trumpet interchange  was at US-224 in Lodi, and that was a very short connecting ramp with no groundwork for Toll Plazas.
Was this section of I-71 under construction pre interstate?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Somebody should ask that Sandor guy where he gets his maps?
Maybe we can get him to hold a roadmeet as well.  :rolleyes:
1954 proposed Ohio Turnpike 2 map

Also, it wasn't till 1958 that Ohio's dept. of highways maps showed any proposed routing (sans numbers) for interstates.
So, no. I-71 wasn't being worked on, pre-interstates (unless you want to count the Cleveland and/or Columbus innerbelts)
https://www.dot.state.oh.us/maps/archivedmaps/1958.pdf

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

triplemultiplex

Makes me wonder how things would've shaken out interstate-wise in Ohio if those other two turnpikes were already substantially complete before the Interstate Highways Act. Because that would've really changed how one routes I-70 through west of Columbus and makes me wonder about I-75 between Dayton and Findlay.
We'd have the Columbus-Toledo interstate so many of us like to put on our fictional maps. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

theroadwayone

If there's one supposed positive of the Turnpike's new abridged ticket system, it will eliminate perhaps one of the most useless tickets issued, namely the one issued for I-680 that shows a 50-cent toll.

Buck87

Drove by the new mainline toll plaza under construction at MM 211 twice over Thanksgiving. It's coming along nicely, looks most of the way done.

Ted$8roadFan

I wonder what, if any effect the new Turnpike tolling system will have on shunpiking.  I remember when I was in Toledo what a big deal truck traffic was on OH-2 paralleling the Turnpike, presumably to avoid tolls. Of course, this was hyped often by The Blade.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Buck87 on November 27, 2022, 11:54:46 AM
Drove by the new mainline toll plaza under construction at MM 211 twice over Thanksgiving. It's coming along nicely, looks most of the way done.

Same with the toll plaza at MM 49, which I drove by at the beginning of this month.  Seen in the background of this photo.

It appears the plaza splits for the non- E-ZPass lanes will be signed as exits, with up/right arrows and exit numbers.  That seems weird.

wanderer2575

Also, it appears that the interchange at OH-49 (mile 2) will still be the bastard child of the system, as it does not show at all on the new "Modernized Ohio Turnpike Toll Collection System" strip map.  I wonder if it will at least finally be blessed with an exit number.

https://www.ohioturnpike.org/images/default-source/tcs/tcs-turnpike-strip-map-2-9-21.jpg?sfvrsn=feeff7c4_6

zzcarp

Do they have an estimated opening date for the new toll plazas and tolling scheme?
So many miles and so many roads

thenetwork

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 27, 2022, 05:40:56 PM

Same with the toll plaza at MM 49, which I drove by at the beginning of this month.  Seen in the background of this photo.

It appears the plaza splits for the non- E-ZPass lanes will be signed as exits, with up/right arrows and exit numbers.  That seems weird.

Bet the exit tabs for the toll barrier won't last too long.

It's going to likely cause confusion with unfamiliar drivers thinking the Pay Toll "exit" will take them completely off the Turnpike, and thus they will stay in the left E-Z Pass lanes and get dinged for "evading the toll" by paying the maximum.

What the OTC SHOULD do is change the left overhead EZ Pass pull-though sign from green to purple saying EZ-PASS ONLY, while the right overhead sign should say,
ALL OTHER TRAFFIC -- REDEEM TICKET / PAY TOLL.  Adding flashing yellow lights to the sign would be highly recommended as well.

PurdueBill

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 27, 2022, 05:59:21 PM
Also, it appears that the interchange at OH-49 (mile 2) will still be the bastard child of the system, as it does not show at all on the new "Modernized Ohio Turnpike Toll Collection System" strip map.  I wonder if it will at least finally be blessed with an exit number.

https://www.ohioturnpike.org/images/default-source/tcs/tcs-turnpike-strip-map-2-9-21.jpg?sfvrsn=feeff7c4_6

I don't understand why when they installed new signs in that area a few years ago, they didn't number the exit and instead changed the Westgate name on signage (which, interestingly, is shown on the Modernized System diagram) to "Toll Plaza 2" which is completely screwy.

theroadwayone

Quote from: thenetwork on October 05, 2022, 06:51:46 PM

And might they have gone with GSP-esque one-way plazas later on?

ilpt4u

Apparently there was a big pileup on the OH Turnpike on Friday the 23rd, near Sandusky, due to the winds and white-out conditions.

Ohio State Highway Patrol reports that 4 lives were lost

Turnpike is still closed between US 250 and OH 53 on Saturday morning per the reports

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/435311/4-dead-in-turnpike-incident/
https://sanduskyregister.com/news/435335/fridays-level-3-downgraded-to-level-2/
https://sanduskyregister.com/news/435327/turnpike-crash-photos-show-carnage/

theroadwayone

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 24, 2022, 01:11:55 AM
Apparently there was a big pileup on the OH Turnpike on Friday the 23rd, near Sandusky, due to the winds and white-out conditions.

Ohio State Highway Patrol reports that 4 lives were lost

Turnpike is still closed between US 250 and OH 53 on Saturday morning per the reports

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/435311/4-dead-in-turnpike-incident/
https://sanduskyregister.com/news/435335/fridays-level-3-downgraded-to-level-2/
https://sanduskyregister.com/news/435327/turnpike-crash-photos-show-carnage/

Damn. Especially before Christmas. Our hearts are with their families during this time.

Brandon

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 27, 2022, 05:40:56 PM

I suspect the word "GATE" may be there instead of "EXIT".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ysuindy

Buck87

Plutonic Panda

I can't believe they're doing that when almost everywhere else is going completely cashless.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 20, 2023, 12:26:04 AM
I can't believe they're doing that when almost everywhere else is going completely cashless.
They'll just follow the Thruway's path over the past 20 years and eventually have to replace these plazas with full AET.

Just history repeating a lot more slowly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thenetwork

Quote from: Buck87 on October 19, 2023, 09:28:04 PM
The new tolling system is expected to launch in November

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2023/10/ohio-turnpikes-new-tolling-system-expected-to-launch-in-november.html?outputType=amp

Pixel 7 Pro

My spidey sense says that the November launch will occur about a week before Thanksgiving Week, if not the week of.

Considering that is one of the biggest travel weekends, if the launch happens that close to the holiday, they better hope the system works 110% correctly, or this could be one of the biggest clusterfreaks in the history of the Ohio Turnpike.

Still remember when one of their original alternative payment options was having a self-serve kiosk where you manually entered the ticket in slot A, put your payments in slots B-C, and get your receipt in slot D.  And this was to be quicker than as tollbooth worker???

vdeane

What is the logic of making the western portion free (other than the state line extortion toll)?  I can understand around Youngstown, but not the rural area west of Toledo.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: vdeane on October 20, 2023, 08:49:25 PM
What is the logic of making the western portion free (other than the state line extortion toll)?  I can understand around Youngstown, but not the rural area west of Toledo.

The Turnpike is following the Massachusetts Turnpike and the Pennsylvania Turnpike which IIRC made their western portions free (although the Mass Pike added them back).

vdeane

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on October 21, 2023, 09:36:00 AM
Quote from: vdeane on October 20, 2023, 08:49:25 PM

The Turnpike is following the Massachusetts Turnpike and the Pennsylvania Turnpike which IIRC made their western portions free (although the Mass Pike added them back).
I presume the PA Turnpike did that because it's the Pittsburgh metro, which seems similar to the Youngstown situation.  The MassPike was briefly free west of exit 6 because the people in the western part of the state complained about tolls paying for the Big Dig.  Does a similar type of complaint exist in western Ohio?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.