News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Portmanteau roads

Started by Bruce, July 09, 2020, 12:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Here's an example of one from Bethesda, MD (just outside of DC):

First, a little background. Arlington Road is one of the main north-south streets in downtown Bethesda, connecting Old Georgetown Road with Bradley Boulevard. Paralleling Arlington Road to the west are a series of streets whose names begin with successive letters of the alphabet, namely: Beverly, Clarendon, Denton, Exeter, Fairfax, and Glenbrook.

However, in addition to the names mentioned, that sequence of streets also includes Exfair Road, which runs in between Exeter and Fairfax Roads and takes its name by combining the first syllable of both names - potentially causing confusion with Exeter Road just a block away.

I wonder how many letters, or pizzas, have been delivered to the wrong address over the decades because of that?

CoreySamson

Not really what the OP specified, but Texas and its neighboring states have an obsession with combining their names with their cities. There exists Texico, Texla, Texarkana, and Texhoma, not to mention Texline, which is also on a state border.

Also not really: the two nonrelated Eastex freeways in Houston and Beaumont.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Bruce

A fun example: Coskea Way in the outskirts of Edinburgh, which splits an IKEA and Costco,

https://goo.gl/maps/je6rqJ9V6hXA47c46

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.