News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

What is your favorite climate type?

Started by tolbs17, March 21, 2021, 02:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A question

EF (Ice-cap
0 (0%)
ET (Tundra)
0 (0%)
Dfc (Subarctic)
0 (0%)
Dfb (Warm-summer humid continental)
3 (25%)
Dfa (Hot-summer humid continental)
3 (25%)
Dwc (Subarctic)
0 (0%)
Dwb (Warm-summer humid continental)
1 (8.3%)
Dwa (Hot-summer humid continental)
0 (0%)
Dsc (Dry-summer subarctic)
1 (8.3%)
Dsb (Warm-summer mediterranean continental)
1 (8.3%)
Dsa (Hot-summer mediterranean continental)
1 (8.3%)
Cfc (Subpolar oceanic)
1 (8.3%)
Cfb (Oceanic)
2 (16.7%)
Cfa (Humid subtropical)
2 (16.7%)
Cwb (Subtropical highland)
0 (0%)
Cwa (Humid subtropical)
0 (0%)
Csc (Cold-summer mediterranean)
2 (16.7%)
Csb (Warm-summer mediterranean)
2 (16.7%)
Csa (Hot-summer mediterranean)
3 (25%)
BSk (Cold semi-arid)
4 (33.3%)
BSh (Hot semi-arid)
1 (8.3%)
BWk (Cold desert)
2 (16.7%)
BWh (Hot desert)
0 (0%)
Aw (Savanna)
1 (8.3%)
Am (Monsoon)
0 (0%)
Af (Rainforest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

tolbs17

For me here's my favorite and worst in order

1. Cfa (I don't like summers that are too dry)

2. Csa

3. Dfa

4. Aw

5. Dfb

Hate

1. EF and ET

2. Dfc

3. Af

4. BWh

5. Cfb (I find the Oceanic climates too boring).

I got it from this site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_United_States

hotdogPi

This map implies that Boston proper has a similar climate to much of Texas and Florida.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on March 21, 2021, 03:38:10 PM
This map implies that Boston proper has a similar climate to much of Texas and Florida.
It does. It has a humid subtropical climate (Cfa), which means it will have hot and humid summers and cold to mild winters.

Max Rockatansky

Scott5114

I've spent all my life in Cfa areas, so it's the only one I have experience with. Not that I particularly like it; Oklahoma weather sucks and the Ozarks weren't much different.

I think I'd like a Mediterranean climate, but, well, that's why a house in California costs as much as the annual budget for a small country.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 21, 2021, 11:35:50 PM
I've spent all my life in Cfa areas, so it's the only one I have experience with. Not that I particularly like it; Oklahoma weather sucks and the Ozarks weren't much different.

I think I'd like a Mediterranean climate, but, well, that's why a house in California costs as much as the annual budget for a small country.
Except they have a higher risk for droughts.

Also same here. I spent my entire life in a Cfa climate type.

SkyPesos

Cfa seems to check for all three US cities I've lived in too.

I like Seattle's climate despite the overwhelmingly number of cloudy days. Winters a bit warmer and summers cooler than what I'm used to in the midwest.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 21, 2021, 11:54:54 PM
Except they have a higher risk for droughts.

Oklahoma is damn near always in a drought anyway, so it's not like that's any different. Either that or it rains so much it floods.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

I don't think I could adapt to a climate any warmer than the Pacific Northwest, though with climate change we now need air conditioning and mitigation against wildfire smoke. Weather events are fun when spaced apart by mild, normal days.

index

Oceanic and cold-summer mediterranean are nice.

Quote from: Bruce on March 22, 2021, 08:34:19 PMI don't think I could adapt to a climate any warmer than the Pacific Northwest, though with climate change we now need air conditioning and mitigation against wildfire smoke. Weather events are fun when spaced apart by mild, normal days.
Visiting British Columbia during the summer, I adapted to the climate very quickly. It felt a bit chilly at first but grew to be the nicest stuff ever...it's so pleasant up there. As soon as I returned to the South, though, there being no transition from hot to cold like summer to winter, the moment I stepped off the plane I was completely slapped in the face with probably the most humid and hot air I've ever felt, even though I've been in worse. It took me a while to adjust back.

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 21, 2021, 04:40:44 PM
It does. It has a humid subtropical climate (Cfa), which means it will have hot and humid summers and cold to mild winters.
Only by those strict metrics when comparing raw numbers with no other context. In the realm of nuance, their climates are a world apart. One is a grey, icy, slushy wasteland for 3 months out of the year while one has some bare trees and slightly cool days for 3 months out of the year.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Yeah, a system is only so useful when it implies the climate of Deming (NM) is similar to that of Havre (MT).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Not only have I lived in Dfb (warm-summer humid continental) my entire life, much of my travels have been within that area as well. It's almost like I've gone out of my way to avoid other climates based on how well the two align.

JayhawkCO

I voted BSk (cold semi-arid).  I think the two best cities for weather in the country are Denver and San Diego.  I prefer the former as I like seasons having grown up in Minnesota and living in KC for a long time.  But god knows I like the dry air much better than humidity (again, thanks to those former stops).

My second preference is DSb (warm-summer Mediterranean continental) like Durango has.  A little cooler than here in peak summer.

Chris

CNGL-Leudimin

I thought I've always lived in a Csb or Csa (Warm or hot summer mediterranean) climate, but I was surprised to find out I live in a Cfa (Humid subtropical) one! I don't think it's that humid, though, especially as it doesn't rain that much. Indeed, nearby Zaragoza features a BSk (cool semi-arid) climate. It therefore doesn't make sense to group Huesca with most of Florida, for example.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.