News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: bluecountry on February 12, 2023, 12:56:25 PM
Is it me or would I-64 have been I-60 if not for the US-60 conflict?

if it makes you feel any better, an I-60 mile marker was installed ~2013 on I-64 in Virginia

Sept 2013 GMSV

74/171FAN

^Of course, US 60 is a bit farther south of I-64 at this point.   :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Takumi

Chesterfield's SRs are up over 8000 now. Saw a few 8257 signs while wandering around today.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on February 20, 2023, 05:32:44 PM
Chesterfield's SRs are up over 8000 now. Saw a few 8257 signs while wandering around today.

I wonder how long it'll take for Chesterfield to join Fairfax in the 5-digit club. 10 years maybe?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Probably. A lot of the newer roads seem to be maintained by the neighborhoods, though. Had they been state maintained, I think they'd be there already.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

I saw a 7000 one yesterday when I went to my friend's house near the VA 10 and SR 632 (Ironbridge Blvd/Lewis Rd) intersection.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

plain

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 20, 2023, 06:37:16 PM

I wonder how long it'll take for Chesterfield to join Fairfax in the 5-digit club. 10 years maybe?

I don't think it'll be that long, there are a few big developments about to break ground in the next year. With that kind of pace, I'll give it seven years tops.
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/QgBWZBfeczjQbKz46
Noticed that both I-95 and US 1 are both signed not only text but both as Routes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on February 21, 2023, 08:25:01 PM
Noticed that both I-95 and US 1 are both signed not only text but both as Routes.

That's common for Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Quote from: hbelkins on February 21, 2023, 09:16:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 21, 2023, 08:25:01 PM

That's common for Virginia.

I must of read frogging's post wrong once when I claimed Virginia called all highways routes, including interstates. He seemed to give me the impression that VDOT don't do that.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

^^^^

Certainly on the electronic signs in Northern Virginia VDOT distinguishes between route types and uses, for example, "US-50" (with the hyphen) in the travel time and distance notifications.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

This one has always stood out to me.

"To US Rte 11"

sprjus4

I drove VA I-77 recently between I-81 and the North Carolina state line, and was wondering... why is the entire 32 mile portion only posted at 65 mph? When VDOT raised the speed limit on rural interstates back in 2010, virtually every segment of interstate outside major cities was increased to 70 mph.

This included
- The entirety of I-81 (except over Christiansburg Mountain, Roanoke, Staunton, Harrisonburg, and Strasburg)
- The entirety of I-64 west of Williamsburg (except through Richmond, Charlottesville, over Afton Mountain, and near Covington / Clifton Forge)
- The entirety of I-66 west of Gainesville
- The entirety of I-77 north of I-81 (except through the two tunnels)
- The entirety of I-85 south of Petersburg
- The entirety of I-95 south of Fredericksburg (except through Richmond-Petersburg)

VDOT originally kept I-64 between Charlottesville and Afton Mountain posted at 65 mph, along with I-81 near Winchester posted at 60 mph, though within a few years after 2010, raised both areas up to 70 mph.

The one that stands out though, is the 32-mile segment of I-77 south of I-81. MM 1 through MM 8 can be justified for 65 mph due to the mountain pass over Fancy Gap, but the segment from MM 0 to MM 1, and MM 8 through MM 32 is no different than any other rural segments of I-81, I-64, or I-77 north of I-81 posted at 70 mph. It features two independent roadway sections separated by a large median, has some gentle grades, and can safely handle 70 mph. One could argue there are a few advisory curves signed for 60 mph, however, my counter-argument to that would be similar 60 mph advisory curves on portions of I-81 north of Roanoke, I-77 north of I-81, and I-64 west of Lexington, that exist on segments posted at 70 mph.

Given VDOT posted virtually all of I-81 outside the urban areas at 70 mph, including on those windy 60 mph curve portions, what is their justification for keeping I-77 at 65 mph? From what I saw driving it, most traffic was flowing around 77-80 mph, roughly the same speeds traffic was moving on I-81 just north of there, which is posted at 70 mph. As soon as one enters North Carolina, the speed limit increases to 70 mph.

I'm just curious to as if there's an engineering justification as to why VDOT omitted all of I-77 south of I-81 for any 70 mph increase. It's not any different design-wise than other highways they raised, with the exception of Fancy Gap which is justifiable to keep 65 mph. It is not located near any major cities or population centers, all of the interchanges have low traffic volumes and no major traffic generators (with the exception of the US-58 interchange). The roadway cross-section is consistent with other rural interstates in the region (for example, I-81).

VTGoose

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 23, 2023, 12:22:18 AM
The one that stands out though, is the 32-mile segment of I-77 south of I-81. MM 1 through MM 8 can be justified for 65 mph due to the mountain pass over Fancy Gap, but the segment from MM 0 to MM 1, and MM 8 through MM 32 is no different than any other rural segments of I-81, I-64, or I-77 north of I-81 posted at 70 mph. It features two independent roadway sections separated by a large median, has some gentle grades, and can safely handle 70 mph. One could argue there are a few advisory curves signed for 60 mph, however, my counter-argument to that would be similar 60 mph advisory curves on portions of I-81 north of Roanoke, I-77 north of I-81, and I-64 west of Lexington, that exist on segments posted at 70 mph.

I'm just curious to as if there's an engineering justification as to why VDOT omitted all of I-77 south of I-81 for any 70 mph increase.

There are several sections through there where the grades aren't "gentle" and scream for a climbing lane. There is also a section of tight curves going downgrade northbound that can be a challenge to negotiate at much over 65 (been there, done that). Because of these grades and curves, there is a large speed differential between cars and trucks. Keeping the speed limit at 65 could (theoretically) reduce the difference -- not that a number of drivers keep to 65.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

sprjus4

^ I certainly understand the logic, but I don't get how it's much different from portions of I-81, or I-77 north of I-81. As far as the curves, the advisory speeds of 60 mph already address that, adequate signage, etc.

During free flow, outside of those few corners, the speed limit could reasonably go to 70 mph. The problem with retaining the 65 mph limit is the lack of compliance... to the point about speed differential, aren't you theoretically creating now 3 speed differentials? You have variances between trucks going slower, cars sticking closer to the 65 mph limit, then those going closer to 80 mph. If you raised the limit, you would bridge the gap between the latter two, and have increased compliance.

Basically... I guess my point is, using VDOTs logic toward how they omitted I-77 south of I-81, a lot more of the interstate system should've also been kept at 65 mph, but they raised virtually all of it.

They drop the southbound speed from 70 mph to 65 mph around here, and yet the wide open design just encourages drivers to keep cruising along at 80 mph.

Jmiles32

In Northern Virginia highway news: https://www.loudountimes.com/news/final-project-to-complete-northstar-boulevard-breaks-ground/article_02f0719e-b6bb-11ed-977d-7ffd7e4e168d.html

QuoteFederal, state and local officials participated in a groundbreaking ceremony Feb. 24 that celebrates another sign of progress in a years-long efforts to complete Northstar Boulevard, which, when completed, will be part of an uninterrupted 14-mile parkway between the Stone Ridge and Lansdowne areas. New segments to close the last remaining gaps in the north-south corridor from Harry Byrd Highway (Route 7) to the Prince William County line are scheduled to be completed by the end of next year. Northstar Boulevard merges into Belmont Ridge Road north of Briar Woods High School.

The Feb. 24 event marked the start of construction of a new 1.6-mile section of Northstar Boulevard between Evergreen Mills Road and Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway (U.S. 50); the four-lane median-divided road flanked by 10-foot paved multiuse trails is expected to be complete in the first quarter of 2025. Another segment which will close the gap between U.S. 50 and Tall Cedars Parkway is expected to be complete this autumn.

A third project, currently in the design phase, will widen an existing segment and improve pedestrian access between Tall Cedars Parkway and Braddock Road; those improvements are expected be complete by 2030.

Once this is all complete it will be interesting to see not only what the traffic volumes on Northstar will be, but also on Sanders Lane and Pageland Lane in neighboring Prince William County. Can't imagine Prince William is too happy about this as it will only further put pressure for a four lane connection to Loudoun (basically some version of the Bi-County Parkway). Curious how it plays out.

In other news it appears that according to the VDOT website, construction on the US-29 Widening project in Fairfax County between Union Mill Road and Buckleys Gate Drive has officially started with completion scheduled for around early 2026. Should be the last piece of a six lane US-29 from I-66 in Centreville to US-50 in Fairfax.
https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/rt_29_widening.asp
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

1995hoo

BrianP

Something doesn't make sense.  According to the old topo maps the part of US 1 in question was not constructed until around 1962-3.  I see the new US 1 road in the 1963 aerial view but not on the 1961 or earlier topo maps.

plain

Quote from: BrianP on March 03, 2023, 12:51:30 PM
Something doesn't make sense.  According to the old topo maps the part of US 1 in question was not constructed until around 1962-3.  I see the new US 1 road in the 1963 aerial view but not on the 1961 or earlier topo maps.

It's likely that the makers of those topos simply didn't add it on until late. The bridge over VA 3 is obviously older than 1960 (not to mention it has the year 1945 on it).
Newark born, Richmond bred

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

I hope you didn't just prompt the removal of those old signs. I was chuffed to see they were still there when I drove through there on February 17 on my way to North Carolina.

sprjus4

Interestingly, the sign also shows "US-17"  on that route, when US-17 was re-routed over 50 years ago onto I-95.

US-17 Business follows the current alignment through the city.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2023, 02:08:22 PM
I hope you didn't just prompt the removal of those old signs. I was chuffed to see they were still there when I drove through there on February 17 on my way to North Carolina.

Uh, oops. Well, VDOT doesn't maintain that portion of US 1 so I doubt they'd do anything.
Will Weaver

Mapmikey

Quote from: BrianP on March 03, 2023, 12:51:30 PM

The "now" picture is not in the right spot.  It is actually here: https://goo.gl/maps/SHKvPehLUdkthQnJ8

There is a scene from long ago that is from the angle shown in the "now" picture. 
At 1:59 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FobeyH4f58I it shows US 1 NB at the south end of the Fredericksburg Bypass.

proof the bypass is way older than 1962:
see 3rd to last para on pg. 9 at https://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-12-1947-01.pdf

here's a scan of the 1948 official

here's a photo from a 1950 Virginia Hwys Bulletin showing the Wayside they built along the bypass:

roadman65

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 03, 2023, 01:09:06 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2023, 10:55:29 AM
A great old photo from VDOT:

https://twitter.com/VaDOT/status/1631684439926349825

Of course, US 1 ALT lives on today despite not existing since the early 1970s.

https://twitter.com/WillWeaverRVA/status/1631718042357882880/photo/1

Yet in the erroneous overhead photo, the City of Fredericksburg, did get the routes right on the ground mounted shields beyond the overhead assembly.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.