News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New England in August

Started by hobsini2, June 16, 2021, 08:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Given the inability to cross the Canadian border before the 9th, I'm curious why you're going to Calais.

In Vermont, stop somewhere for a creemee.  Especially a maple creemee.  Just.  Do.  It.  Dairy Creme on US 2 west of Montpelier is an option (requires NOT getting on I-89 right away).

Prohibition Pig in Waterbury.  Also a micro-brewery.  Brewery side should be open for lunch when you pass thru.  Though I believe the US 2 reconstruction project through Waterbury has begun.

Any particular reason for taking the long way around the north side of Lake Champlain when there are two ferries that can cut the distance?

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2021, 10:20:37 AM
If you're going to do Cape Cod, do it mid-week.  Don't even think of trying between Thursday and Monday.
Which is worse for traffic? US 6 in Cape Cod, or NY 27 between Hampton Bays and Montauk Point? Because I've been in the latter on good days and bad days.

froggie

Never been on the latter so I cannot make a good comparison.

The biggest hiccup with Cape Cod is getting across the canal, since you (currently) only have the two VERY antiquated bridges crossing the canal.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 04, 2021, 11:10:01 AM
If you're going to do Cape Cod, do it mid-week.  Don't even think of trying between Thursday and Monday.
Which is worse for traffic? US 6 in Cape Cod, or NY 27 between Hampton Bays and Montauk Point? Because I've been in the latter on good days and bad days.
Why US 6?  MA 28 is the doom road of neverending tourist jam.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on August 04, 2021, 10:56:16 AM

In Vermont, stop somewhere for a creemee.

OK, this may be a dumb question, but what exactly is the difference between a creemee and "normal" soft-serve ice cream?

I recently read something that basically said there is no difference except for the name.

I'm beginning to think I may have missed something by not having a creemee during one of my trips to Vermont.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

There is a difference.  A Vermont creemee has a higher butterfat content than "normal" soft serve.  It's not unlike the difference between regular ice cream and "frozen custard" (though in that case, the difference is the absence or presence of egg yolk).

Ketchup99

Quote from: froggie on August 04, 2021, 01:38:41 PM

The biggest hiccup with Cape Cod is getting across the canal, since you (currently) only have the two VERY antiquated bridges crossing the canal.

This. If you're lucky the Bourne (which is usually your better bet) is free-flowing, but sometimes it jams way up. On the mainland side that doesn't cause a problem, because it backs up into six-lane freeway. On the Cape side, it backs up into a rotary, and all hell breaks loose.

As for MA-28, from the Bourne Bridge to Falmouth it's usually fine. From Falmouth to Hyannis and Hyannis to Chatham are hellish, to the point where it's often worth going over the top (MA-28 to US-6) to bypass it. Can't speak to Chatham-Orleans.

hobsini2

Quote from: froggie on August 04, 2021, 10:56:16 AM
Given the inability to cross the Canadian border before the 9th, I'm curious why you're going to Calais.

In Vermont, stop somewhere for a creemee.  Especially a maple creemee.  Just.  Do.  It.  Dairy Creme on US 2 west of Montpelier is an option (requires NOT getting on I-89 right away).

Prohibition Pig in Waterbury.  Also a micro-brewery.  Brewery side should be open for lunch when you pass thru.  Though I believe the US 2 reconstruction project through Waterbury has begun.

Any particular reason for taking the long way around the north side of Lake Champlain when there are two ferries that can cut the distance?

Calais and US 2 north of Burlington was just to drive them. No real reason other than that. The Chocolate Creemee I had in Burlington at Sweet Hazel was tasty. Glad you recommended getting some.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: Rothman on August 04, 2021, 01:51:08 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 04, 2021, 11:10:01 AM
Why US 6?  MA 28 is the doom road of neverending tourist jam.

We took the Sagamore Bridge (US 6) to and from Cape Cod.  Traffic wasn't bad until a few miles south of the bridge. We got off at Mass 149 to get to Hyannis. Found a lovely place called the Dockside for lunch. The cod for the fish & chips was really good and flaky.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: Ketchup99 on August 04, 2021, 09:51:52 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 04, 2021, 01:38:41 PM

This. If you're lucky the Bourne (which is usually your better bet) is free-flowing, but sometimes it jams way up. On the mainland side that doesn't cause a problem, because it backs up into six-lane freeway. On the Cape side, it backs up into a rotary, and all hell breaks loose.

As for MA-28, from the Bourne Bridge to Falmouth it's usually fine. From Falmouth to Hyannis and Hyannis to Chatham are hellish, to the point where it's often worth going over the top (MA-28 to US-6) to bypass it. Can't speak to Chatham-Orleans.

Actually the biggest traffic issue I found in Hyannis was getting back to US 6 from Mass 28 & Yarmouth Rd.  Took 3 cycles to make the left turn onto Mass 28.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2021, 11:10:39 AM
Acadia was established with all sorts of weird conditions, which is why you have the free and too-popular section of the park and then the for-fee loop road.  Cadillac Mountain in particular is an absolute mess and overrun with crowds (signs say "Leave No Trace" -- Seeing the unmanageable crowd on the summit, my father quipped, "Yep, leave no trace of wildlife whatsoever.").  I am sure they may establish reservations for the Loop Road, but they'll probably keep doing what they've done for Jordan Pond/Cadillac Mountain -- when the lots fill up and the waiting line is jamming the driveways up, sorry, just drive around until something opens up.

I guess I'm a few days late for the OP, but having been to Acadia in July, I might as well share my experience: Cadillac Mountain was busy, but far from overcrowded, with lots of room to spread out. This is at least partly because reservations are now required, for a small fee, to limit crowds during Covid. There's only a certain number of vehicles/passengers allowed up during each half-hour window, and you have to arrive during your half-hour to be allowed up.

Sand Beach and Thunder Hole were busy, with tons of cars parked right on the loop road, but I assume that's probably normal. Parking was hard to find in Bar Harbor, but it wasn't too bad in terms of crowds. I heard that it's been considerably less busy than usual (pre-Covid) in town with no cruises stopping there.

hobsini2

Quote from: webny99 on August 11, 2021, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2021, 11:10:39 AM
Acadia was established with all sorts of weird conditions, which is why you have the free and too-popular section of the park and then the for-fee loop road.  Cadillac Mountain in particular is an absolute mess and overrun with crowds (signs say "Leave No Trace" -- Seeing the unmanageable crowd on the summit, my father quipped, "Yep, leave no trace of wildlife whatsoever.").  I am sure they may establish reservations for the Loop Road, but they'll probably keep doing what they've done for Jordan Pond/Cadillac Mountain -- when the lots fill up and the waiting line is jamming the driveways up, sorry, just drive around until something opens up.

I guess I'm a few days late for the OP, but having been to Acadia in July, I might as well share my experience: Cadillac Mountain was busy, but far from overcrowded, with lots of room to spread out. This is at least partly because reservations are now required, for a small fee, to limit crowds during Covid. There's only a certain number of vehicles/passengers allowed up during each half-hour window, and you have to arrive during your half-hour to be allowed up.

Sand Beach and Thunder Hole were busy, with tons of cars parked right on the loop road, but I assume that's probably normal. Parking was hard to find in Bar Harbor, but it wasn't too bad in terms of crowds. I heard that it's been considerably less busy than usual (pre-Covid) in town with no cruises stopping there.

Yeah parking in Bar Harbor was not easy. We did find decent parking by Grant Park and walked along the shore path.  We did attempt to walk out to Bar Island but the tide was too high. we got out about 1/3 of the way before we turned back.  Cadillac Mountain wasn't too busy as we hit it early in the day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.