News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sam Cooper Boulevard Through Memphis

Started by Chrysler375Freeway, October 22, 2021, 02:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrysler375Freeway

I'm surprised Sam Cooper Boulevard still exists as a freeway along much of it, considering that opposition forced I-40 to be rerouted. Why does it still exist if citizens have voiced concerns about it, opposition killed the segment connecting to I-40 Exit 1E and it isn't even a spur or business loop of I-40? Note/Disclaimer: There was a thread about this road, but it was mainly about who maintains it.

CoreySamson

I'm not sure if Memphians even care about it that much in it's current state. The reason I-40 met so much opposition in Memphis was because of its planned routing through Overton Park and the zoo, not because of the part of Sam Cooper Blvd that is extant. As far as what I've seen there are no concerns about it locally (and rightfully so, as Memphis's roadway network has some much bigger fish to fry), and it still serves as a glorified arterial, so no need to remove it.

I can't answer why it's not a 3di of I-40.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Tom958

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 22, 2021, 05:57:22 PMI can't answer why it's not a 3di of I-40.

Surely it's because it lacks a logical terminus on its west end.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Tom958 on October 22, 2021, 06:09:32 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on October 22, 2021, 05:57:22 PMI can't answer why it's not a 3di of I-40.

Plenty of odd 3dis dead end at a city street at one end.

Henry

It's been 50 years since the Overton Park segment of I-40 was cancelled, and the opponents had a very good reason for it because its routing would've destroyed a heavily forested area, as well as downtown to the west.

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 22, 2021, 06:34:45 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on October 22, 2021, 06:09:32 PM

Plenty of odd 3dis dead end at a city street at one end.
Also, the westernmost stretch is actually an at-grade parkway, which is unnumbered like the limited-access section.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

At the very least, it deserves a state highway number.  The signage is all super cluttered because the Coop only has that long-ass name instead of simple number.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 25, 2021, 01:48:09 PM
At the very least, it deserves a state highway number.  The signage is all super cluttered because the Coop only has that long-ass name instead of simple number.
What about Business I-40?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 25, 2021, 03:41:33 PM
I prefer not having any more business interstates on freeways.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 25, 2021, 04:20:25 PM
I prefer not having any more business interstates on freeways.
I do too but it might be the best option, and not all of it is a freeway.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

oscar

Tennessee is one of many states with no business Interstates, so you'd have to convince TnDOT to do something new.

Also, Sam Cooper Blvd. doesn't provide access to any businesses not already served by the adjacent US 64/70/79, so it wouldn't really work as a business route, Interstate or otherwise.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

KCRoadFan

Quote from: oscar on October 25, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

Tennessee is one of many states with no business Interstates, so you'd have to convince TnDOT to do something new.

Also, Sam Cooper Blvd. doesn't provide access to any businesses not already served by the adjacent US 64/70/79, so it wouldn't really work as a business route, Interstate or otherwise.

How about a 3di? I-140 already exists near Knoxville - but what about I-340?

Brooks

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 25, 2021, 09:09:04 PM
Quote from: oscar on October 25, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

How about a 3di? I-140 already exists near Knoxville - but what about I-340?
IMO this would be the best, most logical option (in a perfect world, maybe it would be controlled access with improved signage all the way to East Parkway). But given the fact that there are much greater roadway issues to address across the city and the rest of West TN — a region which is already shortchanged by TDOT and the state as a whole — I doubt we'll see any major work on Sam Cooper anytime soon.

froggie

There's nothing really along Sam Cooper that would warrant a logical termini for an Interstate...no major traffic generators or major public/port/intermodel facilities and no cross-roads that are on the National Highway System.  At best, you could possibly convince TDOT to give it a TN x40 route number...340 is taken but 540 is available.

Henry

The City of Memphis actually owns the road instead of TDOT. And good luck trying to assign a route number to it, x40 or not.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abqtraveler

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on October 22, 2021, 02:30:34 PM
I'm surprised Sam Cooper Boulevard still exists as a freeway along much of it, considering that opposition forced I-40 to be rerouted. Why does it still exist if citizens have voiced concerns about it, opposition killed the segment connecting to I-40 Exit 1E and it isn't even a spur or business loop of I-40? Note/Disclaimer: There was a thread about this road, but it was mainly about who maintains it.
The bone of contention that opponents of I-40 had over routing the freeway through Memphis wasn't so much about the portion of Sam Cooper Boulevard that was completed; rather it was about building it through Overton Park and the Memphis Zoo to connect to the I-40/I-240 interchange just east of the Hernando DeSoto Bridge. An important factor is there is a very wealthy neighborhood that surrounds Overton Park. Opponents were able to fight the routing of I-40 all the way to the US Supreme Court, due in large part to their ability to afford a dream team of lawyers who could take the fight all the way to the SCOUTS...and win.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Wayward Memphian

They taught the history of this in high school in Memphis. It's rather famous as this went all the way up to SCOTUS and they ruled against it. Really a groundbreaking case of the Feds losing eminent domain.  In reality, the Zoo should have been relocated to Shelby Farms.

Today, it is now the Zoo and the park supporters fighting each other over parking.

That said, it's an excellent zoo and was the home to the original MGM Leo the Lion.

Plutonic Panda

They should build a tunnel and connect it with I-40/I-69. Tennessee needs to get with it.

triplemultiplex

Nah; waste of scarce money to shave 2 minutes off a drive to downtown from the west.  Especially since Memphis needs a 3rd Mississippi River bridge and replace the two its got and do something about I-69 and do some more about Lamar Ave and fix at least two dogshit system interchanges and six lane I-40 heading east and so on...
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 26, 2021, 04:33:26 PM
They taught the history of this in high school in Memphis.

Hell, I lived it.

My father worked for the Memphis/Shelby County Office of Planning and Development.
My mother worked for the zoo.

There were a few tense dinner conversations back in the day.

MikieTimT

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on October 27, 2021, 05:17:05 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 26, 2021, 04:33:26 PM
They taught the history of this in high school in Memphis.

Hell, I lived it.

My father worked for the Memphis/Shelby County Office of Planning and Development.
My mother worked for the zoo.

There were a few tense dinner conversations back in the day.

Mom got the last word on that one.

Bobby5280

Yeah, any extension of the Sam Cooper Blvd freeway is a dead issue. Building a 2.5 mile tunnel from the I-40/I-240 interchange, under Overton Park and to the Sam Cooper Blvd freeway stub would cost billions. That kind of money could be devoted to far bigger needs in the Memphis area.

New Mississippi River bridge crossings are badly needed for I-55 and even I-40. Plus I think I-269 needs to two Mississippi River crossings of its own both North and South of the Memphis area; the route should be a full outer loop of Memphis. Then there is the issue of I-22. That could be routed along a Western I-269 to I-40 in Arkansas. Or they could keep chipping away at the Lamar Avenue problem. I-22 (or a spur of it) needs to be completed to I-240. Memphis International Airport needs improved access to both I-240 and I-22. The trick is how to deliver on that. Upgrades along Winchester Road and/or Democrat Rd wouldn't be easy. But we're talking about a major shipping hub in this vicinity.

hbelkins

Are there any other major cities sited along a river that only have two bridges? Louisville now has four, Cincinnati has five, and so forth and so on. Memphis gets the same number of Mississippi River crossings as Dubuque, which isn't nearly as large or as important.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2021, 08:13:00 PM
Are there any other major cities sited along a river that only have two bridges? Louisville now has four, Cincinnati has five, and so forth and so on. Memphis gets the same number of Mississippi River crossings as Dubuque, which isn't nearly as large or as important.

Quebec City has two, and they're right next to each other. (It also has a ferry.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

oscar

Quote from: 1 on October 27, 2021, 08:29:27 PM

Quebec City has two, and they're right next to each other. (It also has a ferry.)

It also has a third, a two-lane bridge to Ile d'Orleans, but it doesn't completely cross the St. Lawrence River like the other two. One of those two carries an Interstate-class freeway across the river, Autoroute 73.

Like Memphis, there has been talk about building a third crossing, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on that ever happening.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

Depending on how you define I-310, New Orleans arguably has 2.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.