News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Grand Parkway section B

Started by MaxConcrete, February 19, 2023, 08:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

This news report is about an announcement that TxDOT is proceeding with the first segment of section B. The segment is on the east end from I-45 to SH 35.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/pearland-friendswood/transportation/2023/02/14/txdot-announces-start-of-grand-parkway-expansion-project-from-league-city-to-alvin/

It makes sense to proceed with the east section, which is a direct and useful link. The west section appears to be in the undetermined future.

The Texas Department of Transportation announced the execution of an agreement to begin developing a Grand Parkway extension from League City to Alvin.

According to TxDOT, a contract for construction [for the east segment] is expected to be awarded in 2025, and the project is estimated to be completed by 2030. An environmental review of the project was previously approved in November 2016.

The extension project is known as Segment B and is proposed to stretch from I-45 South to Hwy. 288. The map of the proposed project provided by TxDOT is preliminary and is subject to change.

A statement from TxDOT reads that the department entered into project agreements with Galveston and Brazoria Counties allowing TxDOT to deliver the initial portion of Segment B, which is proposed to run from I-45 in League City to FM 2403 in Alvin.

"TxDOT and Brazoria County will assess the delivery timeframe of the remaining portion of Segment B from FM 2403 to SH 288 as a separate and future project," the statement reads.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

The Ghostbuster

Wait until they get to Section A. Then the real fun will begin.

thisdj78

My in-laws live just south of where Segment B will cross Calder Rd. Saw these signs over the holidays, so I knew something was coming:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19579.msg2802429#msg2802429

Very curious what the final design will be at the interchange with I-45 and if it will lend any clues to how Segment A will be built (if at all). Latest schematics are over 10 years old, so I imagine there will be some changes with all the growth that has occurred since then.

thisdj78

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 19, 2023, 08:57:04 PM
Wait until they get to Section A. Then the real fun will begin.

If it even happens. Last time I was down there a few months ago I was looking at the new widened section of I-45 over FM646 and looks like they haven't made any accommodations for a stacked interchange with Segment B or A (eg. Stubs or space between the main lanes and frontage roads). I'm thinking that the Segment B freeway will end just west of I-45 and will utilize the existing intersection or it will be a "volleyball"  interchange at most.

Bobby5280

It's too bad Segment B wasn't actually named "Segment S." The path from TX-288 to I-45 via Alvin looks like a "S" shape.

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 21, 2023, 06:53:04 PM
It's too bad Segment B wasn't actually named "Segment S." The path from TX-288 to I-45 via Alvin looks like a "S" shape.

Right? They must have really wanted to utilize that SH-35 median somehow.

At this point, they should have just made Segment B go near Santa Fe and then had a better path for Segment A north of Texas City.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.