News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road Names with a "Gap"

Started by webny99, February 22, 2023, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Heading east out of the City of Rochester, Atlantic Ave becomes NY 286, at which point it changes names to Browncroft Blvd and widens to four lanes. Then, a few miles later, the name changes back to Atlantic Ave, also coinciding with a lane drop. I've often wondered if the name changing then changing back at these locations was intentional (2 lanes = avenue; 4 lanes = boulevard).

Are there any other examples of a continuous roadway dropping a name for a short distance only to pick it back up later? And do any of these examples similarly coincide with a lane drop or any other change in the road's character?

Big John

I can think of a few examples in Milwaukee County WI.  First thoughts are 7th St, 27th St, Lovers Lane Rd mongst others.

SD Mapman

I could see there being somewhere in Utah where depending on how the road meandered it could be "500 South" then "1420 West" then "670 North" or something like that lol.

I can't think of any examples specifically of what you're thinking of (Name 1 -> Name 2 -> Name 1) right now, but Rapid City, SD is notorious for having road names change somewhat randomly (my non-roadgeek parents will complain about it lol). The worst example is (going from east to west) East Omaha Street -> Omaha Street -> West Omaha Street -> West Chicago Street -> South Canyon Road -> Nemo Road (which then turns into Brownsville Road up near Lead/Deadwood).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

webny99

Yes, to be clear I'm thinking of cases where the same name recurs on the same road, but with at least one other name in between (thread title updated). There's many examples of roads where the name changes frequently, but we already have thread(s) for those.

CoreySamson

This may be an example of something else entirely, Tulsa has a few major issues with discontinuous roads with some of the smaller streets. For example, Evanston Avenue exists as 20 discontinuous roads, which is kinda sucky for navigation.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

7/8

In Brampton, ON, Hurontario St becomes Main St between Bovaird and Steeles.

EDIT: Line 86 becomes Church St through Elmira, ON.

US 89

In Salt Lake City, 1300 East becomes Richmond Street for the six blocks between 27th and 33rd South while it meanders off its otherwise due north-south line.

There’s also Redwood Road not far to the south, which is officially Camp Williams Road in Bluffdale city limits and is signed as such on city-installed street blades. However, UDOT signs still just use Redwood, and that’s what everyone calls it anyway. “Camp Williams Road” will get you a bunch of blank stares if you try to use that in local conversation.

This kind of thing becomes quite common in rural areas where a street is numbered on some sort of county grid but then switches to a city grid number only while it’s inside a city limit. For example, 11200 North in Box Elder County becomes Main Street within Tremonton limits.

SkyPesos

In the St Louis area, going southbound, Lindbergh Blvd (US 61/67) changes its name to Kirkwood Road at the junction with MO 100 and goes being a divided expressway to an undivided arterial. In downtown Kirkwood, it drops from 2 lanes per direction to 1 due to street parking. The "Lindbergh Blvd" name returns at around the junction with I-44, though it retains its stroady nature from Kirkwood (except an interchange with MO 366) southward.

Flint1979

There is a road on the Saginaw/Bay County line in the eastern part of both counties that has the name Wilshire Road, it for some reason changes to Webber Road, then back to Wilshire. Google Maps has it as Webber Road when it's signed as Wilshire Road. It's strange, because it is also called Bay-Saginaw Line Road at the intersection with Callahan Road. Then it's Wilshire when it crosses M-15. Then at Burns Road it's called Webber and at Knight Road it's called Wilshire on one side and Webber on the other. The Webber/Knight Road sign is now missing though. Then it's Wilshire the rest of the way to Portsmouth. What's strange though is that Google Maps starts calling it Wilshire between Portsmouth and Reimer/Jones Road then for the entire rest of the road east of there they call it Webber. The signs at Knight Road and Burns Road are the only two that say Webber with of course as I mentioned the one at Knight Road is now missing.

DandyDan

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're after, but in the Omaha area, 84th Street becomes Washington Street when it goes through Papillion.

Another one I found just looking at Google Maps in the Omaha area is that Ida Street in NW Omaha has a lengthy section in the middle where it is Military Road.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Rothman

Can't think of any in MA due to the convention of main roads within townships being named after adjacent municipalities.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on February 23, 2023, 06:56:21 AM
Can't think of any in MA due to the convention of main roads within townships being named after adjacent municipalities.

Dunstable Rd. becomes Makepeace Rd. for about 1/3 mile in Westford, MA, then turns back to Dunstable Rd. I would think it's solely for the overpass name on US 3, except it's an underpass, so the street name wouldn't be shown on US 3 anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6507731,-71.4217226,17z
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

GaryV

In SE Michigan:

Livernois becomes Main Street in Royal Oak and Clawson.

Somewhat ironically, Rochester Road becomes Main Street in Rochester.

Van Dyke becomes Main Street in Romeo.

I think I'm seeing a theme here.

1995hoo

It's fairly common in Virginia for roads to change names when they go through independent cities. For example, Route 7 is Leesburg Pike in Fairfax County, becomes Broad Street in Falls Church, then becomes Leesburg Pike again (it's called King Street in Alexandria). Similarly, Route 236 is Duke Street in Alexandria, becomes Little River Turnpike in Fairfax County, then becomes Main Street in Fairfax City.

Lately there's been a rise in road names varying for political reasons. US-29, long called Lee Highway in Fairfax and Arlington Counties and Washington Street in Falls Church, still bears those names in Fairfax County and Falls Church (Fairfax authorities have voted to rename it simply "Route 29") but is apparently now called Langston Boulevard by Arlington County authorities. The changes to US-1's name have been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but the situation is now that said route has a patchwork of names across Virginia (examples I can think of are Richmond Highway in Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Prince William, and Stafford Counties; Emancipation Highway in the City of Fredericksburg; Patriot Highway for some distance to the south of Fredericksburg; Washington Highway near Doswell; simply "Route One" in Chesterfield County; and the longstanding Boydton Plank Road for a lot of the portion southwest of Petersburg).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

This can happen where a road bends around something, such that a portion of it is in line with a different "street" on the grid.

For example, here in Wichita, where Lincoln bends around the convent, it goes like this:

Lincoln → Clifton → Morris → Bluff (which Google Maps is hilariously calling Blf Ave right now)Lincoln

https://goo.gl/maps/jsYWGxcZNj35J3Lf9
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Webster_Highway

I feel that Daniel Webster Hwy in New Hampshire fits the bill. It frequently jumps from that name, to something else, and back, over a dozen times, may of those times the road itself never changes but in certain places it does make turns off the road it was on. Right from the start of the Massachusetts border, the same road goes from DW Hwy to Main St in Nashua, then back to DW Hwy crossing into the next town of Merrimack. Similar changes occur all the way up current and former US 3 to Canada.

GaryA

Maryland 140 goes from "Taneytown Pike" to "Baltimore St" when actually in Taneytown, and then back to "Taneytown Pike".  It becomes "Baltimore Blvd" east of Westminster.

Near where I am now, we have one that was forced by freeway onramps in Oxnard, CA: "Ventura Blvd" -> "Auto Center Dr" -> "Ventura Blvd".  Ventura Blvd is the old US 101 routing, running right next to the current freeway; as the Rice Ave and Rose Ave interchanges were improved, Ventura Blvd was rerouted to swing away from the freeway, and eventually Auto Center served as a direct connection between the two.  There's still a section of Ventura Blvd between the exits, but it's no longer the through route.

TEG24601

SR 99 in Washington.  The official state route runs from Fife to Everett, and has many names, often duplicated.  The most frequent is Pacific Highway, but also Hwy 99.  It also has the distinction over a section of International Boulevard in Sea-Tac, to be discontinuous for a few miles, but retains the International Blvd. name during the throughout the discontinuity.

M-24 in Oakland County, MI, is also named Lapeer Rd, south of Lake Orīon, then it turns, and a street, near the same alignment is now Lapeer Rd/St, and M-24 becomes Park Blvd., then as soon as it leaves the city limits, it become Lapeer Rd. again. Then just a few miles North, through the city of Oxford, MI, the road is names Washington St., but returns to the Lapeer Rd., again outside of the city limits.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

pianocello

Pulaski Rd in Chicago is known as Crawford Ave on either side of it. IIRC, it was originally Crawford the whole way, until the City of Chicago (and maybe some of the suburbs?) decided to change the name at some point while other suburbs did not.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

WillWeaverRVA

US 60 does this the long way: it's Pocahontas Trail in New Kent County, before entering James City County and Williamsburg and becoming a few different named streets (Richmond Rd, Bypass Rd, Page St, and York St) before becoming Pocahontas Trail again in York County.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

roadman65

Forbes Road near Plant City, Florida has a gap near I-4 where the road becomes Branch Forbes Road and then returns to being Forbes Road.

US 192 in Osceola County, Florida has the same with Irlo  Bronson Highway.  It has two gaps. One in Kissimmee where it becomes Vine Street and the other in St. Cloud where it becomes 13th Street. So it's west to east Bronson, Vine, Bronson, 13th, and Bronson as you drive US 192.

In Union County, New Jersey you have Springfield Avenue along CR 577 that's Meisel Avenue for a short spell before returning to Springfield Ave.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheStranger

Here's one on a technicality near my area:

Mission Road (former US 101) in South San Francisco/Colma, northwest to El Camino Real (Route 82)
A 1 mile segment of El Camino Real in Colma
Mission Street starting around the edges of old town Colma then continuing all the way into San Francisco

---

Some other ones that come to mind:

The recent redesignation of a portion of Route 1 that had been Sepulveda Boulevard in El Segundo, to Pacific Coast Highway - creating the situation in which both PCH and Sepulveda have segments before and after breaks in the name!

In Los Angeles' Koreatown, Normandie Avenue between Wilshire and Olympic is connected by a bypass route called Irolo Street, while the older Normandie route stubs off to the east.

Chris Sampang

pderocco

Occasionally, an old decomissioned US route retains its name, except where it goes through a town. A lot of the old US-80 in San Diego County is called Old Highway 80, but it has a big gap where it's called Alpine Blvd, Willows Rd, and CA-79.

Lots of CA-1 is called Pacific Coast Highway. Lots of it isn't. Pieces of the old US-101 are called Pacific Hwy.

TheHighwayMan3561

Around here in Bloomington, Old Shakopee Road vanishes where it fits into the plane of 98th St, but reappears on either side when it breaks from the grid.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

Quote from: TEG24601 on February 23, 2023, 11:58:43 AM
SR 99 in Washington.  The official state route runs from Fife to Everett, and has many names, often duplicated.  The most frequent is Pacific Highway, but also Hwy 99.  It also has the distinction over a section of International Boulevard in Sea-Tac, to be discontinuous for a few miles, but retains the International Blvd. name during the throughout the discontinuity.

It seems like the northern run of "Pacific Highway" is only signed from Gibson Road to Airport Road in the unincorporated area south of Everett. Lynnwood and Edmonds don't give SR 99 an official street name.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.