News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Exactly!  There should be some permanent arrows there with a left turn signal head that flashes RED to allow left turns when there is chance to move without waiting for the green arrow like it is now.  Good photo to prove this.

Also this looks like what Orlando used to have that was a right lane continous green at one time until drivers started making unsafe lane changes that ended this trend at some three way intersections.  Titusville, FL still uses them along many intersections along US 1 and on the Kennedy Space Center in front of the Visitor's complex on NASA Parkway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on March 17, 2012, 01:31:03 PM
Exactly!  There should be some permanent arrows there with a left turn signal head that flashes RED to allow left turns when there is chance to move without waiting for the green arrow like it is now.  Good photo to prove this.

Also this looks like what Orlando used to have that was a right lane continous green at one time until drivers started making unsafe lane changes that ended this trend at some three way intersections.  Titusville, FL still uses them along many intersections along US 1 and on the Kennedy Space Center in front of the Visitor's complex on NASA Parkway.

If you're referring to my Wichita photo, then....  The two full signal heads are dedicated left turn arrows; oncoming traffic gets a red light to allow this green phase, and then it's through-only again.  Traffic here is heavy, as it is a mall entrance on a major thoroughfare AND very near one of Wichita's two most important highways.  So, the protected arrow is very important for the safety of traffic coming off Kellogg and turning into the mall.  Here's the satellite image:
http://g.co/maps/bkdc4
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SignBridge

Don't ya' just hate when they don't chop the mast-arm at the left-most signal head, as in that Wichita photo. Virginia is famous for that too. It looks so sloppy and unfinished; very unprofessional. Bet you don't see that in Calif. or Nevada.

roadman65

Actually I was referring to the one in LA on US 90 that I posted.  The Wichita setup should have been used there with a flashing red arrow to allow traffic to turn left there when the on-coming traffic is NOT stopped.

It looks like Florida there in Wichita with the brown mast arms.  I know that KDOT used non painted mast arms and was amazed that on East Kellog that there were two span wire assemblies back in 01 when I went through there then.  Usually you do not find span wires in the mid-west.

Sheryl Crowe

DaBigE

Quote from: roadman65 on March 17, 2012, 09:55:37 PM
Usually you do not find span wires in the mid-west.

There are quite a few in lower Michigan, from what I remember, especially in more rural locations.  WisDOT uses them frequently for temporary signals.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadfro

Quote from: SignBridge on March 17, 2012, 04:54:06 PM
Don't ya' just hate when they don't chop the mast-arm at the left-most signal head, as in that Wichita photo. Virginia is famous for that too. It looks so sloppy and unfinished; very unprofessional. Bet you don't see that in Calif. or Nevada.

Actually, longer-than-necessary mast arms do pop up in Nevada from time to time. Generally, it's because there is the potential for future expansion of turn lanes or something and the mast arm is ordered long enough to accommodate that. Other times, it's because mast arms come in standard lengths and the roadway is an odd width...in these cases, the arm is likely to have been salvaged from another previous installation.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

Quote from: roadfro on March 18, 2012, 06:41:48 AM

Actually, longer-than-necessary mast arms do pop up in Nevada from time to time. Generally, it's because there is the potential for future expansion of turn lanes or something and the mast arm is ordered long enough to accommodate that. Other times, it's because mast arms come in standard lengths and the roadway is an odd width...in these cases, the arm is likely to have been salvaged from another previous installation.

We have plenty of longer than needed mast arms in Orlando.  Peppermill Boulevard at Orange Blossom Trail has one for EB Peppermill that is twice the length needed.  There is no plans to widen Peppermill Boulevard in this life and the furthermost left signal head is only half way to the middle of the arm there.

http://maps.google.com/maps/svpw?url=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%3Ff%3Dq%26source%3Ds_q%26hl%3Den%26geocode%3D%26q%3DOrlando,%2BFL%26aq%3D0%26oq%3DOrla%26sll%3D37.0625,-95.677068%26sspn%3D35.957999,86.572266%26vpsrc%3D6%26t%3Dh%26ie%3DUTF8%26hq%3D%26hnear%3DOrlando,%2BOrange,%2BFlorida%26ll%3D28.538336,-81.379236%26spn%3D0.00244,0.005284%26z%3D14%26layer%3Dc%26cbll%3D28.390605,-81.404864%26panoid%3DIlLuizyilO5f9mIecFGJMw%26cbp%3D12,73.59,,0,0%26output%3Dembed&hl=en&gl=us

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Here is a picture of a signal with a RIGHT LANE CONTINUOUS GREEN where the right lane does not have to stop ever, but vehicles in the left lane have to.  This is a three way intersection, where vehicles coming in from the left, only have to swing into the left lane, while the right lane stays free. 

We used to have more of these around Central Florida, but many are being eliminated for those who choose to change lanes to avoid the light are making unsafe lane changes ruining this type of set up.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Titusville,+FL&hl=en&ll=28.526038,-80.679109&spn=0.009747,0.021136&sll=28.390603,-81.404867&sspn=0.002459,0.005284&oq=Ti&t=h&hnear=Titusville,+Brevard,+Florida&z=16&layer=c&cbll=28.526226,-80.679079&panoid=brDF0fEy4bSNUIeEO9WsLg&cbp=12,270,,0,0

Sheryl Crowe

pianocello

There's a few of them in mid-Michigan, like this one used for an exit ramp and one here that functions more of a right turn arrow. It's only on when there's an WB-SB left turn arrow (pic faces north).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Ian

Maryland seems to be famous for that as well. They seem to have a "one size fits all" policy in terms of mast arms.
http://g.co/maps/4kst2
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

roadman65

In fact they do have shorter mast arms out there that are shorter.  Plus some states like New Jersey will turn the arm on a 45 degree angle if the arm is too long to make its extension only half its way and not creating any sight problems.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2012, 01:24:37 PM
Heck, who needs two?

Here is GMSV during road construction; through traffic has only a signal head, which is solid green full-time.
Wichita, KS

I saw one of these in Richmond yesterday, where VA 197 leaves Laburnum Ave for Saunders Ave. Turning traffic and eastbound Laburnum traffic each have protected cycles, while westbound Laburnum traffic has the continuous straight green arrow. Traffic cannot turn west onto Laburnum from Saunders here, as the road is split.

I also saw another signal with two lights on VA 161 northbound, just past US 60. Southbound has a normal three light signal.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JREwing78

Quote from: DaBigE on March 18, 2012, 01:02:34 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 17, 2012, 09:55:37 PM
Usually you do not find span wires in the mid-west.

There are quite a few in lower Michigan, from what I remember, especially in more rural locations.  WisDOT uses them frequently for temporary signals.

Michigan's default is the span wire; only occasionally do you see MDOT using masts.

SidS1045

Quote from: Takumi on March 16, 2012, 10:21:25 PM
Who needs yellow?

NYC did quite well without them for decades.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Scott5114

That's a hell of a mastarm.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2012, 08:50:16 PM

Pictures of an ugly signal assembly in Orlando, FL on US 17, 92, & 441. :pan:

The new signals for Lejeune Boulevard (NC 24) and Piney Green Road at the Piney Green gate of Camp Lejeune are like that, except in sort of a stair-step shape, both sets of signals for Piney Green Road are on the same gantry. . .thing.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

architect77

Interesting signal gantry in Jacksonville, NC near Camp Legeune:

architect77

Wilmington, NC has these citywide. They look good:

blawp

Does every state besides California have rickety looking power lines?

architect77

Quote from: blawp on April 26, 2012, 01:04:36 AM
Does every state besides California have rickety looking power lines?
I would reply with a resounding, "Yes."

roadman65

Just wondering about the MUTCD and its ruling on overhead signals.   I am aware that on straight through signals there must be TWO signal heads always, but left turn and right turn signals only need one.  Only NJ, DE, IL, and some states feature more signal heads as an added bonus.

San Fransisco, Washington, cities in Illinois and Wisconsin, and parts of New Jersey have side mounted signals where there is no overhead assemblies whatsoever.  Then in some places like California, Pennsylvania, and some others you have only one overhead straight through head with the other one side mounted to make the required two that is needed.

My question is are side mounted allowed at all according to the latest MUTCD guidelines?  If they are, does that still mean you have to have two overhead assemblies to work with the rest?  I have seen some places in NJ where you have two overhead and maybe one or two side mounted.  Then there are some streets in CA and NJ that have overhead signals for the main road and side mounted on the secondary street, or even side mounted posts at the end of a road at a signal where the heads are on 6 feet poles directly across the end of the street.

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

Quote from: architect77 on April 25, 2012, 11:05:18 PM
Wilmington, NC has these citywide. They look good:

These are popping up all over Broward County, Florida.  Most are black, some are silver.  The silver looks better.  The big gantry "cage" exists in a few places in Broward.  All black.  Not too fond of them myself.

SignBridge

Roadman: the two required heads in each direction do not necessarily have to be overhead. They can be overhead or pole-mounted or a combination. The only requirement is that they fit into the drivers' so called "cone-of-vision" which you can read about and see a diagram of, in the MUTCD on the FHWA website. Just Google MUTCD and you should find it. However the Manual does encourage agencies to use two overhead signals as the preferred arrangement. That's considered the most effective, though I personally think in some cases, one overhead and one on the far-right pole is a good arrangement, especially when there are only 1 or 2 thru lanes. But, as they say: "It's all good."

roadman65

SignBridge I do know that there is also a 40 feet distance must be maintained between the stop bar and the signals itself.  Someone I know, who I do not see quite frequently anymore, works for Orange County, FL repairing signals.  He told me that.

I assume that only one of them needs to be in the cone of vision as New Jersey has one on each side of the street with only one, I have seen, in the vision of the first car in line.  The other is either overhead or to the left on the opposite side of the road.

NJ, NYC, and part of PA seem to install signals where one signal head is over the opposing traffic lane except where left turn signals are installed.   Having one straight through to the left of the left turn light, for obvious reasons, is not right.  Only where there is one signal around a curve where a left side head is needed to display to the traffic before the curve the signal's orientation.

I would like to know how NYC in Rockaway Beach, NY is allowed to operate amber less signals and only have two colors: red and green.  Both together are used to warn motorists of the change when the green time is up.  I have a photo of the red and green both on at the same time back in 03 along the beach where they are still used unless it was modified since then.  Plus, how does the signal work in flash mode?  It must only be a four way stop flashing red on all signals, or does like Boston does and flashes the green at some intersections on the dominate roadway instead of the yellow.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.