News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aztoucan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 16, 2018, 10:42:40 AM
Here's a weird traffic signal I found on Google Streetview in Juneau, Alaska.

https://goo.gl/maps/nwhk5ZEnZYE2

The mast arm curves downward at the end, where it hovers over a section of median.

That style was very popular in the Sacramento area. Not so much in use any more though

iPhone

jakeroot

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 16, 2018, 10:42:40 AM
Here's a weird traffic signal I found on Google Streetview in Juneau, Alaska.

https://goo.gl/maps/nwhk5ZEnZYE2

The mast arm curves downward at the end, where it hovers over a section of median.

I think I've seen these posted here before. But regardless, they are indeed quite weird. I've never seen them in WA before.

Side-note: props to Alaska for using side-mounted signals in all the right places.

steviep24

This pic was posted in the 1-2-3 Road Sign Challenge thread. What kind of beacon signal is this?

freebrickproductions

I've heard them called bouncing-ball beacons.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: steviep24 on January 22, 2018, 04:08:01 PM
This pic was posted in the 1-2-3 Road Sign Challenge thread. What kind of beacon signal is this?

Looks like just an evolved flashing stop light to me.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

steviep24

Thanks guys. I've never seen that style before and it seems odd that it's displaying red and yellow at the same time.

jakeroot

Quote from: steviep24 on January 23, 2018, 04:42:29 PM
Thanks guys. I've never seen that style before and it seems odd that it's displaying red and yellow at the same time.

Is the beacon over the center lane flashing red? Certainly looks like it, but there's no painted turn lane there, and usually beacons don't have different indications for one direction.

Michael

I just saw this on Imgur:

The post says that they are in Ukraine

One of the comments made the point that it would be too easy to see from the wrong direction, and that it would be unclear what light goes with what lane.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Does anyone else feel like the FHWA took over the world? I mean what is stopping any other country from making traffic lights Purple, Brown, White? There is clear descendants in other countries that can be seen. What does a Yield sign look like elsewhere? An upside down triangle. America's political push in the 40's for globalization has had an interesting effect on the world as a whole.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Big John

^^ There is the Vienna Conventions of international signs and signals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Signs_and_Signals

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on January 24, 2018, 04:47:49 PM
^^ There is the Vienna Conventions of international signs and signals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Signs_and_Signals

...and I would say the Vienna convention, as a whole, has had a much larger effect on the world than anything from the FHWA. We invented the octagonal stop sign, sure. But, we're at best on-par with what's coming out of Europe. Equal entities, basically.

djlynch

Quote from: jakeroot on January 23, 2018, 05:03:49 PM
Quote from: steviep24 on January 23, 2018, 04:42:29 PM

Is the beacon over the center lane flashing red? Certainly looks like it, but there's no painted turn lane there, and usually beacons don't have different indications for one direction.

For a while, TxDOT seemed to use "yellow" LED assemblies that were very orange compared to the lenses on the incandescent fixtures that they replaced. Given that the left side looks evenly illuminated everywhere and the right side is brightest in the center, I suspect that we're seeing one of each.

riiga

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 24, 2018, 04:02:19 PM
Does anyone else feel like the FHWA took over the world? I mean what is stopping any other country from making traffic lights Purple, Brown, White? There is clear descendants in other countries that can be seen. What does a Yield sign look like elsewhere? An upside down triangle. America's political push in the 40's for globalization has had an interesting effect on the world as a whole.

Not really, the American influence in road signage and signals is mostly limited to the Americas and certain Asian/Oceanian countries. Most of the world is rather influenced by Europe and the standardisation efforts by the UN which produced the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals, and even though a lot of countries haven't signed or ratified the convention, they more or less follow it.

As pointed out by jakeroot, the US' biggest contribution is probably the octogonal stop sign which has replaced the round stop sign used until the 70s in most of Europe (and even longer in some cases). Yellow road markings for opposing traffic may also be worth mentioning as a contribution.

For you last statement, there is no American exceptionalism at play here, in fact the US has stayed out of the Vienna Convention and gone its own way, but I do remember seeing a picture on here showing (supposedly) trial usage of Vienna Convention style signage in the US.

roadman

Quote from: riiga on January 25, 2018, 01:58:48 PM

Not really, the American influence in road signage and signals is mostly limited to the Americas and certain Asian/Oceanian countries. Most of the world is rather influenced by Europe and the standardisation efforts by the UN which produced the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals, and even though a lot of countries haven't signed or ratified the convention, they more or less follow it.

As pointed out by jakeroot, the US' biggest contribution is probably the octogonal stop sign which has replaced the round stop sign used until the 70s in most of Europe (and even longer in some cases). Yellow road markings for opposing traffic may also be worth mentioning as a contribution.

For you last statement, there is no American exceptionalism at play here, in fact the US has stayed out of the Vienna Convention and gone its own way, but I do remember seeing a picture on here showing (supposedly) trial usage of Vienna Convention style signage in the US.
In the late 1960s/early 1970s, as a trial, guide signs based on the Vienna Convention standards were installed on streets around the Boston Common and the Public Garden - I remember seeing them as a kid.  IIRC, a few of them lasted into the mid-1980s.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on January 25, 2018, 04:16:51 PM
Quote from: riiga on January 25, 2018, 01:58:48 PM

In the late 1960s/early 1970s, as a trial, guide signs based on the Vienna Convention standards were installed on streets around the Boston Common and the Public Garden - I remember seeing them as a kid.  IIRC, a few of them lasted into the mid-1980s.

I don't think they were lifted from Vienna standards per se. They were really Worboys-style signage:

jakeroot

This setup has since been removed, but at this intersection in Auburn, Washington, the left turn arrow was provided by a doghouse, whereas the right turn arrow was provided by a tower... :crazy:

TBKS1

A unique stoplight by TBKS1, on Flickr

I saw this in downtown Little Rock today and I don't know what kind of signal this is. I thought it was pretty unique though!
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: TBKS1 on January 27, 2018, 05:06:50 PM

I saw this in downtown Little Rock today and I don't know what kind of signal this is. I thought it was pretty unique though!
Ah, West Capitol Ave! These signals are common elsewhere in other areas of different states, from the photos I have seen.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 27, 2018, 05:24:19 PM

Ah, West Capitol Ave! These signals are common elsewhere in other areas of different states, from the photos I have seen.

Uh, you sure about that? Care to post some GVS links?

TBKS1

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 27, 2018, 05:33:21 PM

This is the exact spot I took that picture from.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TBKS1 on January 27, 2018, 05:39:25 PM

Thanks...Although just to make sure my comment wasn't misunderstood, I was referring to Arkansas' comment that these are common in other states.

jakeroot

Reminds me of those lights they use to start races, just placed horizontally.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

No, I said I had seen photos similar in nature to those stoplights. I have wondered about them too. I haven't had any luck searching for similar ones. :banghead:

I've always thought that the extra lenses were turning capable.

TBKS1

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 27, 2018, 05:41:47 PM
Quote from: TBKS1 on January 27, 2018, 05:39:25 PM

Thanks...Although just to make sure my comment wasn't misunderstood, I was referring to Arkansas' comment that these are common in other states.

Oh... I thought you were talking to me  :-D

Quote from: jakeroot on January 27, 2018, 05:44:42 PM
Reminds me of those lights they use to start races, just placed horizontally.

Now that someone says it, it really does look like it...

TheArkansasRoadgeek

To add to this, here are some horizontally hung wire spans just down the street on Capitol Ave.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.