News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on December 17, 2018, 03:07:18 AM
Even in WA, while there is a fair few double permissive left turns, there are many double permissive right turns, where drivers yield to peds. This would be slightly different, but not significantly so. Are there no signalized double rights turns with pedestrian yields in NV? Something like this: http://bit.ly/2A3TvFa

There's also roundabouts, where the entire concept is "yield to traffic from left". They're not signalized, but the entire concept (beyond the two existing double right yields that you've mentioned) isn't exactly foreign. For left turns? Definitely more unusual, but not so much for right turns.

Nope, I can't think of any double right turn like that. Most, if not all, double right turns are designed with a pork chop island and  signalization of the ped crossing.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on December 17, 2018, 11:14:03 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 17, 2018, 03:07:18 AM
Even in WA, while there is a fair few double permissive left turns, there are many double permissive right turns, where drivers yield to peds. This would be slightly different, but not significantly so. Are there no signalized double rights turns with pedestrian yields in NV? Something like this: http://bit.ly/2A3TvFa

There's also roundabouts, where the entire concept is "yield to traffic from left". They're not signalized, but the entire concept (beyond the two existing double right yields that you've mentioned) isn't exactly foreign. For left turns? Definitely more unusual, but not so much for right turns.

Nope, I can't think of any double right turn like that. Most, if not all, double right turns are designed with a pork chop island and  signalization of the ped crossing.

Well, I'll be damned. I thought each state had at least one. I'm pretty sure CA has a few too, though they have decidedly fewer pork chop islands than Nevada.

jakeroot

In Springfield, Oregon, I found a doghouse with a red arrow display. I think it has flashing yellow arrows, judging by this street view image, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know during the pictured phase below, the opposing direction has green for all directions (green arrow + green orb for through), so it must be displaying a flashing yellow. The "yield on green" signs were also removed, further solidifying the likeliness of it being a flashing yellow. Odd thing is, there's still orb displays. Perhaps there was some swapping?

EDIT: not the only one in Springfield. Note through phase ending...if you keep clicking northbound, a lagging green arrow pops up for southbound Mohawk traffic.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on December 19, 2018, 01:54:43 AM
In Springfield, Oregon, I found a doghouse with a red arrow display. I think it has flashing yellow arrows, judging by this street view image, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know during the pictured phase below, the opposing direction has green for all directions (green arrow + green orb for through), so it must be displaying a flashing yellow. The "yield on green" signs were also removed, further solidifying the likeliness of it being a flashing yellow. Odd thing is, there's still orb displays. Perhaps there was some swapping?

EDIT: not the only one in Springfield. Note through phase ending...if you keep clicking northbound, a lagging green arrow pops up for southbound Mohawk traffic.

I think the signal is a yellow trap, but it's reconfigured in the form of a doghouse

Amtrakprod

Quote from: US 89 on December 17, 2018, 05:19:35 PM
I got a slightly better look at this thing today, on the Mountain View Corridor (UT 85) and South Jordan Parkway:

As is obvious, the top of the doghouse is a red bicycle. The upper left of the lower part is a bicycle as well, while the lower left indication was a straight arrow. Both indications on the right were right arrows.

I would love to see how it functions, but I've never been down there long enough to observe anything other than the red bicycle on top.
Wow! If you can get a video I'd love to see it!!

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on December 19, 2018, 08:14:12 PM
I think the signal is a yellow trap, but it's reconfigured in the form of a doghouse

You mean "flashing yellow arrow", not "yellow trap" correct? Yellow trap is a phasing style, not a signal.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on December 19, 2018, 10:29:03 PM

You mean "flashing yellow arrow", not "yellow trap" correct? Yellow trap is a phasing style, not a signal.
Technically, yellow trap is not a phasing still, but rather is a result of particular phase combinations.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on December 20, 2018, 02:17:58 AM
Technically, yellow trap is not a phasing still, but rather is a result of particular phase combinations.

Conceptually, "yellow trap phasing" could be when an agency specifically implements a yellow trap as part of regular phasing. That's not something you really see anymore, but it could have been at one point. Nowadays it's a mistake, but at one point it may have been intentional.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on December 20, 2018, 05:35:36 PM
Quote from: roadfro on December 20, 2018, 02:17:58 AM

Conceptually, "yellow trap phasing" could be when an agency specifically implements a yellow trap as part of regular phasing. That's not something you really see anymore, but it could have been at one point. Nowadays it's a mistake, but at one point it may have been intentional.

It's not a phase style though. Phase styles would be something like split phasing, lead-lag left turns, or larger concepts like a TTI-4 phase (a specific sequence of phases used at both signals some diamond interchanges to keep the middle relatively clear).

Yellow trap is a specific result of lead-lag PPLT phasing where the old 5-section displays were used.

kphoger

It's like the difference between liberty and freedom.  Liberty is granted by the authority, and freedom is what you enjoy as a result.  Freedom can also be enjoyed by different means (during a hike through Bir Tawil, for example).

Bad signal phasing is a construct implemented by an agency, and yellow trap is what you enjoy as a result.  Yellow trap can also be enjoyed by different means (due to a mistake in signal timing, for example.).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

I see, I see. Phasing error, not style.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

While browsing street view, I found what must be one of the strangest signal heads in the US: a straight-through and left turn arrow together in a cross shape! I don't know how signal jurisdiction works in Massachussets, but this is on a state route–it's pretty crazy that a state DOT would allow an installation like this, but knowing MassDOT I can't say I'm surprised.

Big John

^^ Those have been banned in the MUTCD since the 1970s

SignBridge

Well LOL All bets are off when we're talking about Massachusetts!

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on December 27, 2018, 08:06:34 PM
Well LOL All bets are off when we're talking about Massachusetts!

Agreed. Mass (though it doesn't bother me) still installs flashing green signals, so even if this was installed after the ban, it wouldn't surprise me.

Amtrakprod

I'm gonna have to get some pictures of that light!
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Rothman

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on December 27, 2018, 07:11:04 PM
While browsing street view, I found what must be one of the strangest signal heads in the US: a straight-through and left turn arrow together in a cross shape! I don't know how signal jurisdiction works in Massachussets, but this is on a state route–it's pretty crazy that a state DOT would allow an installation like this, but knowing MassDOT I can't say I'm surprised.
There is a similar light in Sandusky, OH.  Got a picture of it somewhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

traffic light guy

The model of the signal shown is an Alusig. So these signals were installed after the MUTCD banned the double arrow

LG-M327

Amtrakprod

Quote from: traffic light guy on December 28, 2018, 12:26:45 PM
The model of the signal shown is an Alusig. So these signals were installed after the MUTCD banned the double arrow

LG-M327
MassDot ia like f*** the MUTCD:
Proof: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5381397,-70.9357007,3a,20.3y,148.96h,92.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szYmm3ChGipzRGDkz-wLmMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1069514,-72.6231577,3a,31.6y,62.29h,93.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc-SAIn8frJeJ0QOtiOrb1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
This one is fine but I think this sign may be a bit redundent, even for MA: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0906584,-72.6262897,3a,33.5y,18.99h,100.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snLZUrr0WGiNRDDOUW2ZBBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
And this: Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 3.22.11 PM by Petru Sofio, on Flickr

ErmineNotyours

Can't seem to find the thread were someone was complaining about ped signals hung on wires.  Here's another example from Seattle, another installation that's been replaced by pole-mounted signals.

Wire-mounted pedestrain signal by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Big John

^^ That was a MUTCD no-no

Section 4E.05 Location and Height of Pedestrian Signal Heads

Standard:
01 Pedestrian signal heads shall be mounted with the bottom of the signal housing including brackets not less than 7 feet or more than 10 feet above sidewalk level, and shall be positioned and adjusted to provide maximum visibility at the beginning of the controlled crosswalk.

steviep24

Quote from: Amtrakprod on December 28, 2018, 03:27:50 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on December 28, 2018, 12:26:45 PM

LG-M327
MassDot ia like f*** the MUTCD:
Proof: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5381397,-70.9357007,3a,20.3y,148.96h,92.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szYmm3ChGipzRGDkz-wLmMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1069514,-72.6231577,3a,31.6y,62.29h,93.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc-SAIn8frJeJ0QOtiOrb1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
This one is fine but I think this sign may be a bit redundent, even for MA: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0906584,-72.6262897,3a,33.5y,18.99h,100.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snLZUrr0WGiNRDDOUW2ZBBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
And this: Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 3.22.11 PM by Petru Sofio, on Flickr
Or flashing green lights/arrows as seen in this video.

hotdogPi

Quote from: steviep24 on December 29, 2018, 11:35:22 AM
Why didn't that signal notice the overheight truck and change to red?
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: 1 on December 29, 2018, 11:44:34 AM
Quote from: steviep24 on December 29, 2018, 11:35:22 AM
Why didn't that signal notice the overheight truck and change to red?
I've been trying to figure out what that signal does for a long time, still have no idea, may email WestWood,

iPhone

jakeroot

^^
It's possible the signal isn't tied to the undercrossing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.