News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: plain on December 29, 2019, 10:55:13 PM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on December 29, 2019, 06:37:17 PM
Very strange looking signal in Medford, NY. How unfamiliar is region 10 to horizontal signals to warrant this monstrosity? NYSDOT is incredibly lazy with signal placement, even in new installs, and when they're forced to deviate from their standard treatment, it shows.
Uuuuhhhhgggghhh that's ugly!! WTF were they thinking
How about that this was right under the LIRR bridge, and a vertical signal wouldn't be seen as easily from there? Although I do admit they could use a left-turn arrow or two in this one.

plain

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 29, 2019, 11:59:28 PM
Quote from: plain on December 29, 2019, 10:55:13 PM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on December 29, 2019, 06:37:17 PM
Very strange looking signal in Medford, NY. How unfamiliar is region 10 to horizontal signals to warrant this monstrosity? NYSDOT is incredibly lazy with signal placement, even in new installs, and when they're forced to deviate from their standard treatment, it shows.
Uuuuhhhhgggghhh that's ugly!! WTF were they thinking
How about that this was right under the LIRR bridge, and a vertical signal wouldn't be seen as easily from there? Although I do admit they could use a left-turn arrow or two in this one.

What makes these signals ugly as hell is the fact that the heads are so far apart. And they're attached to normal heads on top of that. This is just an all out terrible install.
Newark born, Richmond bred

D-Dey65

Quote from: plain on December 30, 2019, 12:56:55 AM
What makes these signals ugly as hell is the fact that the heads are so far apart.
Yes, I see that. Having said that though, the spaces in between could always be used for left-turn signals, which unfortunately, Region 10 likes to keep at a minimum.

fwydriver405

Anyone have a clue when and why the traffic signals near the SB O'Neil Tunnel entrance (and Southeast Expressway, with the lane control signals) were removed? Were the traffic signals and lane controls ever used frequently ever since the Big Dig was completed to now? Every time I pass thru the tunnels, they were always green or blank, with the exception of when the tunnels initially opened in '04 (leftmost lane closed), and the Callahan Tunnel closure back in 2013-14 which closed the rightmost lane...

Before (2004 - Nov 2018):
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3665262,-71.0608761,3a,87.7y,155.33h,85.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxOii_Txt-1WvCYdop-Q7Bg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Current (as of 20 Dec 2019):

SignBridge

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 30, 2019, 02:02:25 PM
What makes these signals ugly as hell is the fact that the heads are so far apart.
Yes, I see that. Having said that though, the spaces in between could always bee used for left-turn signals, which unfortunately, Region 10 likes to keep at a minimum.

D-Dey65, I don't know what parts of Region-10 you drive, but in central Nassau County you can see lots and lots of left turn signals on NY-24, and NY106 and NY-107. Happy motoring.

traffic light guy

Last week, I found some 1950's era Crouse-Hinds type DT signals in Collingdale, Pennsylvania:

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco traffic signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco by thesignalman, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Decos by thesignalman, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco by thesignalman, on Flickr

What I find interesting is that several intersections on MacDade Blvd have an MUTCD violation. They have only one signal facing the cross streets, minus the signals on Jackson Avenue and Cherry Street. I also find weird how the intersection with the railroad crossing doesn't have any railroad signals facing the main street.

Here are the GSV images of the intersections that violate the MUTCD:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9096669,-75.2823792,3a,37.5y,147.03h,89.57t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMCOxYx-anGrPIQsMQNjTFg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DMCOxYx-anGrPIQsMQNjTFg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D41.708897%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9102595,-75.281078,3a,75y,138.52h,80.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRo18xQsNAXDZXCDeK5OQ2Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9122804,-75.2765135,3a,75y,133.91h,76.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAYzhp_lVLDK6VPCagolO0A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9129851,-75.2747943,3a,58.8y,148.61h,89.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1SoYH33rDkTxzb3gbME0NQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

D-Dey65

Quote from: SignBridge on December 30, 2019, 07:50:36 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 30, 2019, 02:02:25 PM
Yes, I see that. Having said that though, the spaces in between could always bee used for left-turn signals, which unfortunately, Region 10 likes to keep at a minimum.

D-Dey65, I don't know what parts of Region-10 you drive, but in central Nassau County you can see lots and lots of left turn signals on NY-24, and NY106 and NY-107. Happy motoring.
So have I. But I've also seen some that need to be added, but are neglected. Mostly in Suffolk County.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Spotted an interesting signal while riding the LIRR. This set of signals controls 2 way traffic under a narrow bridge. What makes this interesting is that there are pedestrian signals that appear to allow peds to safely walk under the bridge when given the signal.

89 Setauket Greenway Trail
https://maps.app.goo.gl/S3ew13ASRJepVBSs8

90 Setauket Greenway Trail
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VSizLrqxN9XMQMzj8

jakeroot

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on January 05, 2020, 08:17:51 PM
What makes this interesting is that there are pedestrian signals that appear to allow peds to safely walk under the bridge when given the signal.

There's also a two-way cycle track leading up to the underpass; probably why they installed the current system.

Regardless, massive kudos to the local agency for giving some thought to those users.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jakeroot on January 05, 2020, 10:48:28 PM
What makes this interesting is that there are pedestrian signals that appear to allow peds to safely walk under the bridge when given the signal.

There's also a two-way cycle track leading up to the underpass; probably why they installed the current system.

Regardless, massive kudos to the local agency for giving some thought to those users.

We have a similar underpass in Lebanon, PA which also features a button-operated pedestrian signal that stops both directions of traffic. It's planned to have the Lebanon Valley Rail Trail run through it, and a segment of the trail was recently completed to the north, but the pedestrian signals were there for years before that.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

Why would the ped signal activation be on the right side of the road?  Aren't you supposed to walk facing traffic?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

Saw this oddball signal set-up while driving along PA 512 southbound in Pen Argyl (Northhampton County), PA this past New Year's Day.  Even though the 3-way intersection does not have any one-way roads; one is not allowed to continue along E. Main St. where PA 512 veers off based on the posted sign.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2020, 11:54:28 AM
Why would the ped signal activation be on the right side of the road?  Aren't you supposed to walk facing traffic?

I was thinking about this as well. My guess is that, while the buttons to activate the signal are only on one side of the street, you could still approach from the other side, assuming someone was there to activate the signal on the other side. Because of the visibility, they had to install six separate signal heads, so that you could still see them from the other side of the tunnel (because the edge of the tunnel blocks visibility of the signals that are on the same sides of the street). Because the signal stops both directions of traffic, it's basically just a free-for-all for pedestrians and cyclists for however long the signal lasts (so need to worry about walking against traffic, etc).

kphoger

Nah, I think they just didn't want to bother dropping power to the other side of the street for nothing but a ped signal.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2020, 02:27:08 PM
Nah, I think they just didn't want to bother dropping power to the other side of the street for nothing but a ped signal.

There is power on all four "corners" of the underpass, as there are no less than six pedestrian signals (at least one on each "corner" of the underpass, and two facing the cycle path). Why they would place pedestrian signals that face towards the side of the street without any buttons is beyond me. Maybe there are plans to install a sidewalk on the south/west edge of Setauket?

kphoger

It just occurred to me that (I think) we're talking about two different locations.

↓  I was referring to this one.  ↓

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 06, 2020, 10:37:13 AM
We have a similar underpass in Lebanon, PA which also features a button-operated pedestrian signal that stops both directions of traffic. It's planned to have the Lebanon Valley Rail Trail run through it, and a segment of the trail was recently completed to the north, but the pedestrian signals were there for years before that.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2020, 03:25:16 PM
It just occurred to me that (I think) we're talking about two different locations.

Of course; should have occured to me, as your post was directly below that link. My apologies.

ErmineNotyours

Spotted an interesting signal while riding the LIRR. This set of signals controls 2 way traffic under a narrow bridge. What makes this interesting is that there are pedestrian signals that appear to allow peds to safely walk under the bridge when given the signal.

89 Setauket Greenway Trail
https://maps.app.goo.gl/S3ew13ASRJepVBSs8

90 Setauket Greenway Trail
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VSizLrqxN9XMQMzj8

Similar setup at a more rural tunnel by Chelan, WA, though I can't find the warning lights that the button used to activate.  (Never mind, I found them.)

Roadsguy

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2020, 03:25:16 PM

The reason you suggested is most likely, I think. The location of the actual signal doesn't matter so much, and I doubt the township (it's not a PennDOT road) would want to run power under the road for one button. The other side is exactly the same way, though with the Lebanon Valley Mall right there and no crosswalks, I imagine most pedestrians are already on that side.

It's a moot point now with the Lebanon Valley Rail Trail (this segment not even started yet in Street View or satellite imagery, but finished now) coming down on the west side of the street (the right) and dumping out where the signal is. I have no idea if they were planning that far ahead when this signal was put in, though.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: fwydriver405 on December 30, 2019, 07:03:34 PM
Anyone have a clue when and why the traffic signals near the SB O'Neil Tunnel entrance (and Southeast Expressway, with the lane control signals) were removed? Were the traffic signals and lane controls ever used frequently ever since the Big Dig was completed to now? Every time I pass thru the tunnels, they were always green or blank, with the exception of when the tunnels initially opened in '04 (leftmost lane closed), and the Callahan Tunnel closure back in 2013-14 which closed the rightmost lane...

Before (2004 - Nov 2018):
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3665262,-71.0608761,3a,87.7y,155.33h,85.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxOii_Txt-1WvCYdop-Q7Bg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Current (as of 20 Dec 2019):

I wonder the same
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

bcroadguy

There used to be a somewhat similar setup on a one-lane bridge with a traffic signal allowing one direction of traffic or a pedestrian to cross the bridge.

This bridge has been a source of conflict between the two cities on either side for years.

D-Dey65

Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2020, 02:49:55 PM
Maybe there are plans to install a sidewalk on the south/west edge of Setauket?
If they're not going to get rid of that one lane bridge, they're not going to put a sidewalk there. They wouldn't even put a bridge for the trail over the Port Jeff Branch or Gnarled Hollow Road, which was more than likely what they were going to do when they were planning it as the Setauket-Port Jefferson Station Bypass (BTW, I still think would've been better named as the "Three Village Bypass").

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jamess on January 13, 2020, 10:37:52 AM
Seen on reddit today

https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comments/engr3d/porter_square_just_a_green_arrow_and_red_arrow_at/?st=k5cltzzv&sh=6460b966

And:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comments/enzbdp/found_another_fun_red_and_green_at_the_same_time/?st=k5cm3r7j&sh=d72c3e12

Since I'm close to the area I can explain each one.
The first one is in Porter Square, and the top signal should be facing the other way.

The second one is actually an illusion. The bottom green has no visor so it looks red and green.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on January 14, 2020, 09:24:29 PM
Since I'm close to the area I can explain each one.
The first one is in Porter Square, and the top signal should be facing the other way.

The second one is actually an illusion. The bottom green has no visor so it looks red and green.

Thank you. People aren't capable of doing any fucking investigative work. Took a great deal of scrolling to find anyone actually realizing that the signal had been turned slightly. Every other comment is Bostonians complaining about driving, the roads, etc.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.