News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

jeffandnicole

betfourteen

https://goo.gl/maps/vheE7onubZWyQfQK8

Interesting find of a "DONT WALK" pedestrian head still in use on Commack Rd in Commack, NY. The pedestrian head for the other direction is the hand/walk man. Still in service as of Fall 2020, although Suffolk DPW is doing work on CR-4 and I'm sure it'll be replaced.

betfourteen

And another interesting find in Lindenhurst, NY. Look at the spacing between the red, yellow, and green on the horizontal signals.

https://goo.gl/maps/fWzBgJRmMjHcz7FD7

https://goo.gl/maps/MdXtKe7oF68NiaBW7

mrsman

Quote from: betfourteen on December 28, 2020, 04:39:16 PM
And another interesting find in Lindenhurst, NY. Look at the spacing between the red, yellow, and green on the horizontal signals.

https://goo.gl/maps/fWzBgJRmMjHcz7FD7

I strongly prefer vertical signals to horizontal, because of the regularity and expectation of the matter.  They are also more common. 

In the above case, I recognize the need for horizontal because the elevated train blocks the view of the signals.  But I commend those who placed this signal for putting in place a side mounted vertical signal as well.  I think in any place where the view would be obstructed, side mounted signals form a great supplement.

I beleive similar treatments are needed below, where the freeway bridge obstructs the view of the upcoming signal.  Pan around and see how close you have to get before you can clearly see the signal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0134533,-77.0420845,3a,75y,192.29h,78.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgH-Pd6uYHrNrjhi8HR7KBg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

fwydriver405

Seems like someone forgot to change the default password on these Polara iNS APS buttons... Main and Pond St in Weymouth MA.

ErmineNotyours

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

mapman

Quote from: fwydriver405 on December 30, 2020, 10:39:37 PM
Seems like someone forgot to change the default password on these Polara iNS APS buttons... Main and Pond St in Weymouth MA.
Caltrans also did the same thing on the recent installation of new signals/push buttons on CA 152 in Gilroy, CA (where I live).  They finally fixed them a few weeks later.

spooky

The installer will typically leave it that way so that the owner can set the password. Were these recently installed?

fwydriver405

Quote from: spooky on January 05, 2021, 09:26:32 AM
The installer will typically leave it that way so that the owner can set the password. Were these recently installed?
Yes. However, some of the other buttons at the same intersection (and the intersection 100m to the north) were not saying that message, which I'm guessing the default password was changed on some of them.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: spooky on January 05, 2021, 09:26:32 AM

So Porala doesn't let buttons keep their default password anymore.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

So, this is kind of a traffic signal thing, but also kind of not.

I was looking at this intersection in Burien, WA trying to figure out why it needed to be split-phased.

Oh...wait, I think I spotted it :-D

SkyPesos

Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2021, 01:07:00 PM

I was looking at this intersection in Burien, WA trying to figure out why it needed to be split-phased.

Buses enter on the left side of the road into the transit center? That's new for me.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on January 07, 2021, 01:07:00 PM

Looking at the signaled, I get why they did that. I think the unusual thing here with such a traffic pattern is that there's no center island to assist with signage. But, being its only buses that should be in here, they should know the traffic flow for this lot.

jakeroot

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 07, 2021, 03:51:33 PM
Buses enter on the left side of the road into the transit center? That's new for me.

Yeah, not sure I noticed before myself either. Not until today, at least.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 07, 2021, 04:11:46 PM
Looking at the signaled, I get why they did that. I think the unusual thing here with such a traffic pattern is that there's no center island to assist with signage. But, being its only buses that should be in here, they should know the traffic flow for this lot.

If not for the left-hand traffic, I think it could safely operate with concurrent phasing. Since there isn't that much traffic in and out of the bus station.

jay8g

Quote from: jakeroot on January 08, 2021, 12:45:43 AM

The same thing happens at the current Northgate Transit Center (not split phased(!) with the current temporary signal configuration on the north end -- but this will be gone once the light rail station opens later this year, with the new station having stops on 1st Ave NE northbound and a new one-way roadway east of the station southbound) and Bellevue Transit Center (with an interesting signal setup on the east end). I'm sure there are other examples that I'm not thinking of right now, since driving on the left is necessary for island platforms with normal buses... though most are off-street facilities (like Everett Station) that aren't quite as odd as these three.

jakeroot

Quote from: jay8g on January 10, 2021, 02:41:14 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 08, 2021, 12:45:43 AM

The same thing happens at the current Northgate Transit Center (not split phased(!) with the current temporary signal configuration on the north end -- but this will be gone once the light rail station opens later this year, with the new station having stops on 1st Ave NE northbound and a new one-way roadway east of the station southbound) and Bellevue Transit Center (with an interesting signal setup on the east end). I'm sure there are other examples that I'm not thinking of right now, since driving on the left is necessary for island platforms with normal buses... though most are off-street facilities (like Everett Station) that aren't quite as odd as these three.

I remember that signal at Northgate being a bit of an oddity last time I went by, but I think I was caught more by the odd older 8-8-8 signal in the other direction and the near-side left turn signal. I did not notice the opposite-side driving for the transit center. But it definitely makes sense why it might happen.

That signal outside the Bellevue Transit Center is very interesting. Right now it doesn't seem compliant (seems odd only having one signal for normal traffic) but I'll reserve actual complaints for when the Eastlink service opens.

interstatefan990

Thought I'd share- this traffic light at the Danbury Fair Mall in Connecticut has a signal head pointing towards a parking lot approach...that has no access to the intersection. Don't know if it was installed by CTDOT or the mall, but boy, wonder how that one happened.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: interstatefan990 on January 11, 2021, 12:20:18 AM
Thought I'd share- this traffic light at the Danbury Fair Mall in Connecticut has a signal head pointing towards a parking lot approach...that has no access to the intersection. Don't know if it was installed by CTDOT or the mall, but boy, wonder how that one happened.

I would assume that's for pedestrians, has nothing to do with the parking lot

interstatefan990

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on January 11, 2021, 05:49:40 AM

Pedestrians? It's a T-intersection right in front of a mall, after that the exit options are ramps to US-7/I-84 or making a left/right onto Backus Ave, which just takes you to more stores (no sidewalk). No matter where you go, it doesn't seem like a place for pedestrians, and crossing straight from there, you'd be heading towards a large intersection with no marked crosswalks or pedestrian signals. Also, I'm aware it has nothing to do with the parking lot, I'm just saying the layout of it makes it look like it does.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

DrSmith

Quote from: interstatefan990 on January 11, 2021, 09:45:08 AM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on January 11, 2021, 05:49:40 AM

Pedestrians? It's a T-intersection right in front of a mall, after that the exit options are ramps to US-7/I-84 or making a left/right onto Backus Ave, which just takes you to more stores (no sidewalk). No matter where you go, it doesn't seem like a place for pedestrians, and crossing straight from there, you'd be heading towards a large intersection with no marked crosswalks or pedestrian signals. Also, I'm aware it has nothing to do with the parking lot, I'm just saying the layout of it makes it look like it does.

It is fairly common practice in CT where there are no pedestrian crosswalk signals for T intersections or where split phasing is used

https://goo.gl/maps/Hu6zqeoJzBhd4LVB6 old setup with signal towards field
https://goo.gl/maps/ayD2KcYVPZ1GfvM49 New installation with no ped crossing signs installed instead

https://goo.gl/maps/ssn2AQpMoA4kzeqa8 another example

https://goo.gl/maps/vZEvM822muqLLXb67 pole mounted example prior to current change to 4-way intersection

https://goo.gl/maps/EvgvEuf1abuspnGK6 split phase intersection with a "ped" signal so that crossing was aligned with traffic from Middle Rd
https://goo.gl/maps/uHs58JTtzkSFKCyS9 Later deactivated and pointed towards back of left turn signal when normal crosswalk ped signals were installed

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

SkyPesos

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.