News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner75

Quote from: lepidopteran on August 04, 2015, 12:49:38 PM
Massive truck fire engulfs overpass, closes Turnpike near Exit 13A
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/08/turnpike_shutdown_at_exit_13a_due_to_truck_fire.html
There is speculation that the integrity of the structural steel of the overpass has been compromised.
I was one of the poor schmucks who got stuck going southbound.  It popped up on the radio just as I entered the beginning of the car lanes north of 14 and it was too late to bail out.  The troopers had not yet diverted everybody from the car lanes at 13A yet, so I was able to get off there (after sitting for a long time in the airport stretch) while the exit still wasn't too jammed.  I went north through the airport loop to 78 and out to the GSP.  I was kind of surprised that there wasn't more traffic that way - everybody seemed intent on heading south on 1/9, which is usually a bad idea even without this kind of mess.

Alps

Quote from: lepidopteran on August 04, 2015, 12:49:38 PM
Massive truck fire engulfs overpass, closes Turnpike near Exit 13A

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/08/turnpike_shutdown_at_exit_13a_due_to_truck_fire.html

There is speculation that the integrity of the structural steel of the overpass has been compromised. 
Which overpass? I'm finding it surprisingly hard to get information on this event.

Mr. Matté

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 04, 2015, 11:04:44 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 04, 2015, 10:43:50 PM
Which overpass? I'm finding it surprisingly hard to get information on this event.

Wood Avenue and U-Turn ramp in Linden: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.611789,-74.224393,3a,75y,29.5h,81.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sO370qVocO52o6vrZO_EV_Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Shit. Last I read, fortunately, the structure is sound and can reopen right away. Not so fortunately, the utilities running across were heavily damaged, and I'm sure the industries on the east side depend on those utilities.

Roadrunner75

No stars to the VMS system in the area during the incident.  I didn't see anything on the Turnpike heading into it, and nothing later while on the GSP driving around it.  I thought for sure as I approached exit 129 (Turnpike) going SB on the GSP that there would be some kind of message indicating the Turnpike was closed NB.  Leading up to it, one mentioned the continuing and unrelated Bayonne Bridge closure and another one closer to the exit had nothing at all.  I guess a complete closure on one of the nation's busiest arteries doesn't make the cut.

ixnay

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 05, 2015, 12:38:47 AM
No stars to the VMS system in the area during the incident.  I didn't see anything on the Turnpike heading into it, and nothing later while on the GSP driving around it.  I thought for sure as I approached exit 129 (Turnpike) going SB on the GSP that there would be some kind of message indicating the Turnpike was closed NB.  Leading up to it, one mentioned the continuing and unrelated Bayonne Bridge closure and another one closer to the exit had nothing at all.  I guess a complete closure on one of the nation's busiest arteries doesn't make the cut.

All lanes are open again at the scene...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/08/04/nj-turnpike-truck-fire/

ixnay

SignBridge

Roadrunner, they may assume that if you're southbound on the GSP, that you wouldn't be turning to go north on the Turnpike.

02 Park Ave

The "Beat the Traffic" app showed the closed sector of the Turnpike in green.  There was no indication that it was closed. 
C-o-H

Roadrunner75

Quote from: SignBridge on August 05, 2015, 08:23:02 PM
Roadrunner, they may assume that if you're southbound on the GSP, that you wouldn't be turning to go north on the Turnpike.
They shouldn't assume.  There is an exit from the GSP to the turnpike in that direction, so that warning should be on the VMS.  Judging by the huge line of cars snaking out of the NB onramp, they didn't bother with the VMS in that direction either.  There was nothing on the Turnpike itself coming SB into it too, or I wouldn't have gotten stuck. When something is that important, you put it on all of them.  Those signs aren't cheap, so if they're not going to put useful information on them, then don't put them up.

bzakharin

That's odd. It was all over VMSs on NJ 42 and I-295 even though the part of the Turnpike in question is quite far away. Does this mean NJDOT posted the info, but NJTA didn't?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on August 06, 2015, 09:25:57 AM
That's odd. It was all over VMSs on NJ 42 and I-295 even though the part of the Turnpike in question is quite far away. Does this mean NJDOT posted the info, but NJTA didn't?

It wasn't posted after 4pm on 295.  I think by then the Northbound lanes had reopened though.

SignBridge

Roadrunner, you do make a valid point; agreed they should have posted it on the VMS both ways.

Ya know what's interesting is that the original 1950's interchange between the NJT and the GSP only allowed movement from Pkwy. South to Tpk. South and Tpk. North to Pkwy. North. You had to use Route 9 for any other movements. The current major interchange wasn't built until I believe the early 1970's, as part of the dual roadways project. 

Roadrunner75

Quote from: SignBridge on August 07, 2015, 09:03:04 PM
Ya know what's interesting is that the original 1950's interchange between the NJT and the GSP only allowed movement from Pkwy. South to Tpk. South and Tpk. North to Pkwy. North. You had to use Route 9 for any other movements. The current major interchange wasn't built until I believe the early 1970's, as part of the dual roadways project.
I just looked that up on Historic Aerials - very interesting.  It looks like the current interchange was built somewhere around 1967/1968, as the 1968 aerial shows the new interchange complete, but the Turnpike widening project still underway.  The 1966 aerial shows the original configuration, and the 1970 aerial shows the Turnpike fully widened.  Apparently the original partial interchange with the GSP was Exit 10 on the NJTP, while US9 was Exit 11.  Exit 10 was then shifted south to the new 287/440 interchange while the GSP was now accessed at 11.

The bridge used for the original NB exit ramp from the Turnpike to the GSP NB exists today as a police/maintenance cross-over here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5408135,-74.310469,18z/data=!3m1!1e3?force=lite

Firplius

Quote from: 1 on December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM
3. Why are there separate sets of lanes? It can't just be 5 lanes in each direction normally?

There are separate sets of lanes because if all of the lanes were on one set, there could be a car accident that reaches from one side of the set to the other. With different sets, not as many cars will get damaged and less traffic.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Firplius on August 09, 2015, 06:45:57 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM
3. Why are there separate sets of lanes? It can't just be 5 lanes in each direction normally?

There are separate sets of lanes because if all of the lanes were on one set, there could be a car accident that reaches from one side of the set to the other. With different sets, not as many cars will get damaged and less traffic.

If you're going to go back and respond to a post from 2013, read two posts fewer back, also:

Quote from: Alps on December 22, 2013, 09:54:57 PM
3. I've asked this same question - instead of 3/3/3/3, you could fit 7/7 or even 8/8. The reason is that above at most 4 lanes, traffic flow is no longer nearly as efficient. A single 7 lane road doesn't do much better than a 3/3 divided road. You have to move all the way to the right to get to your exit, and traffic would weave all over the place (drive the Parkway at 6/6 for an idea of what it's like). It also lets cars be separated from trucks if they so choose, which many drivers prefer.

EricJV95

I just recently noticed some NEW signs at Exits 16E and 17 from the N.J. Turnpike for Rt. 495 East for the Lincoln Tunnel and also for Rt. 3 Secaucus. Has anyone else seen them ? They look better.

SignBridge

Thanks Roadrunner for clarifying the reconstruction time-line. In that aerial view you can also see the original Exit-11 toll plaza that the new ramps were built around towards the right side. The original Exit-11 was named "Woodbridge-The Amboys" in the earlier era. I remember that from map reading as a kid. And I can't really recall when I-287 wasn't there.

Regarding the separation of lanes, I'm sure the Turnpike Authority studied that issue long and hard before making the decision to go with 2 separate roadways of 3 lanes each instead of a 6-lane Turnpike in each direction. They must have concluded that separation would be safer and more efficient in many ways including closing one roadway or the other for accidents and maintenance. Remember too that funding was virtually a non-issue on this self-supporting highway, so going with the first-class, most expensive option was no problem.

Zeffy

I'd much rather have 3 lanes where I don't have to worry about trucks compared to 6 lanes where I not only have to worry about trucks, but having to exit and slicing over possibly 5 lanes to the rightmost lane. Now, granted, the Jersey Slide is pioneered for those situations but...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

02 Park Ave

Drivng on a carriageway with four or more lanes feels like being on a conveyor belt.
C-o-H

cl94

Yeah, I have to agree. I-270 in Columbus is nuts on the north and east sides with 4-6 lanes in a single carriageway at many points. Not fun.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cl94 on August 09, 2015, 11:07:12 PM
Yeah, I have to agree. I-270 in Columbus is nuts on the north and east sides with 4-6 lanes in a single carriageway at many points. Not fun.

The GSP has fairly long segments with five or more lanes in each direction.

The GSP's Driscoll Bridge over the Raritan River is 7 lanes southbound (may just be the widest section of road I have ever driven on except at some toll plazas).

At least that part of the GSP does not allow large trucks.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 09, 2015, 12:42:09 PM
I just looked that up on Historic Aerials - very interesting.  It looks like the current interchange was built somewhere around 1967/1968, as the 1968 aerial shows the new interchange complete, but the Turnpike widening project still underway.  The 1966 aerial shows the original configuration, and the 1970 aerial shows the Turnpike fully widened.  Apparently the original partial interchange with the GSP was Exit 10 on the NJTP, while US9 was Exit 11.  Exit 10 was then shifted south to the new 287/440 interchange while the GSP was now accessed at 11.

The bridge used for the original NB exit ramp from the Turnpike to the GSP NB exists today as a police/maintenance cross-over here:

Are you sure that is the same exact bridge?  It might be at the same location, but look at  the piers of this bridge and the color of the girders.  If I am not mistaken the original NJT overpasses all used piers that had no hanging over caps (the end piers were flush with the side of the bridge) and the beams were all painted green.  This one uses the later piers you will find on any bridges that were added to the system later on. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.54079,-74.310711,3a,66.8y,243.12h,87.41t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sI4bxoqaeuP3rITBxbYWhPw!2e0?force=lite
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: EricJV95 on August 09, 2015, 08:26:04 PM
I just recently noticed some NEW signs at Exits 16E and 17 from the N.J. Turnpike for Rt. 495 East for the Lincoln Tunnel and also for Rt. 3 Secaucus. Has anyone else seen them ? They look better.

It's part of the MUTCD-compliant signage replacement project taking place on the Turnpike from Exit 9 northward and the Parkway, currently from 127 to 142. They've gotten a lot done on both the Eastern and Western spurs and near the northern mixing bowl in the past month or so.

storm2k

Heads up, button copy fans. New sign mounts are going up at 16W as part of the ramp widening/lane reconfig project, so the 1970s vintage "Turnpike North" and "Turnpike South" signs at the onramps are not going to be around much longer.

Still waiting to see the new sign bridge at Exit 10, especially since it looks like most of the paving work for the new ramps and roadway realignment is done.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2015, 09:58:56 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 09, 2015, 12:42:09 PM

Are you sure that is the same exact bridge?  It might be at the same location, but look at  the piers of this bridge and the color of the girders.  If I am not mistaken the original NJT overpasses all used piers that had no hanging over caps (the end piers were flush with the side of the bridge) and the beams were all painted green.  This one uses the later piers you will find on any bridges that were added to the system later on. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.54079,-74.310711,3a,66.8y,243.12h,87.41t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sI4bxoqaeuP3rITBxbYWhPw!2e0?force=lite

It's probably been reconstructed, but in the same alignment.  Comparing the original bridge (60s) on Historic Aerials to today, it appears to essentially span the same distance, as it looks like the widening mostly used the existing median, with little expansion on the outside.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.