News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Is there a reason why the sign is missing the exit tab?  Sure, the old sign was like that, but that was wrong too!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I believe technically the exits for CR 508 are also part of Exit 15W is why that is.

Also at the WB Exits on I-78 for US 1 & 9 are left numberless for the same reason as its all part of Exit 14. 

The concept is that its a split in the ramps post toll booth, like the two directions of travel at Exit 4 for Route 73 which have no number either.  As the toll booths are the actual exit, so in essence 15W splits three ways into WB Route 280, Eastbound CR 508, and Westbound CR 508.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on June 09, 2016, 04:16:28 PM
Why couldn't they have gotten the shield right like this at Exit 10 (for CR-514)?
But this isn't right. The new standard should be a yellow outline, but not a yellow square. (That said, NJ puts everything in squares)

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on June 10, 2016, 01:09:29 AM
Quote from: storm2k on June 09, 2016, 04:16:28 PM
Why couldn't they have gotten the shield right like this at Exit 10 (for CR-514)?
But this isn't right. The new standard should be a yellow outline, but not a yellow square. (That said, NJ puts everything in squares)

As long as it's legible, I don't give a... :)

ixnay

SignBridge

I like the New Jersey squares. Better readability. They should be a national standard, especially for county route shields because blue does not contrast well with green.

bzakharin

Quote from: SignBridge on June 10, 2016, 05:34:43 PM
I like the New Jersey squares. Better readability. They should be a national standard, especially for county route shields because blue does not contrast well with green.
The black squares are going away. Not sure about the yellow ones

Mergingtraffic

Are the Exit 12 button copy signs still there Northbound? Anybody drive by recently?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

storm2k

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 11, 2016, 12:00:28 PM
Are the Exit 12 button copy signs still there Northbound? Anybody drive by recently?

They're on death-watch. The new foundations are being poured, or have been poured and are curing (depends on which part it is). I anticipate that by the end of the summer, those signs will be gone.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: storm2k on June 12, 2016, 10:10:09 PM

They're on death-watch. The new foundations are being poured, or have been poured and are curing (depends on which part it is). I anticipate that by the end of the summer, those signs will be gone.

I saw them today.  and I saw these too with no roadwork in sight.  I find it odd these haven't been replaced yet.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

storm2k

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 13, 2016, 03:50:55 PM
Quote from: storm2k on June 12, 2016, 10:10:09 PM

I saw them today.  and I saw these too with no roadwork in sight.  I find it odd these haven't been replaced yet.

They likely will be later in the year as the MUTCD replacements continue.

NJRoadfan

New 1 mile advance signs are up for Exit 9 northbound with the old sign still up. One gets a nice A/B comparison. I find the center mounted "billboard" style signs with exit tabs to be a bit weird looking. Does the MUTCD even permit that style of mounting exit signs on highways with dual-dual roadways?

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 13, 2016, 09:50:37 PM
New 1 mile advance signs are up for Exit 9 northbound with the old sign still up. One gets a nice A/B comparison. I find the center mounted "billboard" style signs with exit tabs to be a bit weird looking. Does the MUTCD even permit that style of mounting exit signs on highways with dual-dual roadways?

I checked the MUTCD when I saw the one for Exit 11. There's no clear language that it's not allowed, just a rule about there being close enough to a travel lane. There was a discussion earlier in the thread about this.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on June 13, 2016, 11:00:24 PM

I checked the MUTCD when I saw the one for Exit 11. There's no clear language that it's not allowed, just a rule about there being close enough to a travel lane. There was a discussion earlier in the thread about this.
Something about exit signs being on the right? Note that I am not bothering to reference the MUTCD, since it's a pain through Chrome with my settings (no native PDF display, have to click).

PHLBOS

New 1 mile advance signs are up for Exit 9 northbound with the old sign still up.  One gets a nice A/B comparison.
Update: I was up there this past weekend, the old BGS has since been removed (no surprise). 

One question regarding the legend on the new Exit 9 BGS': why was the East Brunswick listing moved to a supplemental BGS listing (new major BGS' just list New Brunswick)?  Last time I checked two control city listings are still allowed on exit ramp signage that have more than one turning/movement option further down.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 20, 2016, 08:54:58 AM
New 1 mile advance signs are up for Exit 9 northbound with the old sign still up.  One gets a nice A/B comparison.
Update: I was up there this past weekend, the old BGS has since been removed (no surprise). 

One question regarding the legend on the new Exit 9 BGS': why was the East Brunswick listing moved to a supplemental BGS listing (new major BGS' just list New Brunswick)?  Last time I checked two control city listings are still allowed on exit ramp signage that have more than one turning/movement option further down.

I don't quite follow that, or why they felt the need to put both E. Brunswick and Rutgers University on separate signs.

Steve D

Quote from: storm2k on June 20, 2016, 01:53:04 PM

I don't quite follow that, or why they felt the need to put both E. Brunswick and Rutgers University on separate signs.

Does it have to do with the fact that East Brunswick is a township?  I think the NJTP has been removing townships (East Windsor, exit 8; South Brunswick/Monroe, exit 8a; Wilingboro exit 5) from the main signs and placing on supplemental.  Are any townships still listed on the BGS?

PHLBOS

Quote from: Steve D on June 20, 2016, 02:25:02 PMAre any townships still listed on the BGS?
Woodbridge for Exit 11 (GSP).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 20, 2016, 02:56:56 PM
Quote from: Steve D on June 20, 2016, 02:25:02 PMAre any townships still listed on the BGS?
Woodbridge for Exit 11 (GSP).

Swedesboro & Glassboro for Exit 2, Atlantic City Exp for Exit 3, Mount Laurel for Exit 4. All are not cities. 2 are boroughs.

bzakharin

Quote from: Steve D on June 20, 2016, 02:25:02 PM
Does it have to do with the fact that East Brunswick is a township?  I think the NJTP has been removing townships (East Windsor, exit 8; South Brunswick/Monroe, exit 8a; Wilingboro exit 5) from the main signs and placing on supplemental.  Are any townships still listed on the BGS?
That would be very odd if true, since NJ townships are effectively no different from cities, towns, boroughs, or villages except in details of how each government works

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on June 20, 2016, 05:28:55 PM
That would be very odd if true, since NJ townships are effectively no different from cities, towns, boroughs, or villages except in details of how each government works

I think it was just a wild assumption without any basis to it...especially as you noted how our cities and towns truly work.  2 of our 3 villages have well over 10,000 residents in this state; our smallest city doesn't even have 500 people.

lepidopteran

I wonder if the rationale was that having control cities of New Brunswick and East Brunswick was just too repetitious?  Perhaps the only reason they didn't it "The Brunswicks", since Exit 9 is also good for North B., is that South B. is accessed by Exit 8A.

bzakharin

Would "Thee Brunswicks" be allowed by the MUTCD?

storm2k

Quote from: storm2k on June 20, 2016, 01:53:04 PM

Most of the examples you mentioned were to go back to only having a maximum of 2 destinations on the primary signs and then putting others on a supplemental sign.

storm2k

Quote from: bzakharin on June 21, 2016, 09:20:59 AM

I always felt like that was a very NJDOT thing to do, since you never see it anywhere else really, but I've never seen them do it with New Brunswick and et. al., like they would with the Plainfields or the Oranges. I'm betting because New Brunswick isn't just Brunswick.

PHLBOS

Quote from: storm2k on June 21, 2016, 12:30:18 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on June 21, 2016, 09:20:59 AM

I always felt like that was a very NJDOT thing to do, since you never see it anywhere else really, but I've never seen them do it with New Brunswick and et. al., like they would with the Plainfields or the Oranges. I'm betting because New Brunswick isn't just Brunswick.
I-95 in NH used to use The Hamptons for its Exit 2 listings.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.