News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cable Barriers reducing accidents on Maine's I-295

Started by KEVIN_224, March 11, 2014, 01:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/272009/314/Cable-barriers-have-big-impact-in-preventing-serious-accidents

This is about the 7-mile segment of I-295 in Yarmouth, ME, heading north out of Portland. Reporter Tim Goff notes how they can't use them in many curvy areas. He stands by the area of Exit 8 (ME 26 - Washington Avenue) in his piece.

Alps

Cable barriers are definitely for straight stretches of road, since they're redirective by nature with a lot of "give." If you punch one of those things at anything above a shallow angle, you're going through.

yakra

3.5 mi northbound + 3.5 mi southbound = 7 mile stretch.

That figure still seems a little high... Maybe they included ramps.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.