News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-91 West Springfield to Bernardston signing

Started by roadman, June 04, 2014, 09:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

On Tuesday (6-3-14), MassDOT opened bids on the I-91 West Springfield to Bernardston sign and structure replacement project.  RoadSafe Traffic Systems of Avon (MA) is the apparent low bidder.  Physical "on the road" work on this project is not expected to begin until late summer or early fall, and major OH structure work won't likely being until next spring.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

shadyjay

I take it all BGSs are going overhead?

Still find it funny that ConnDOT is doing the exact opposite.   Their latest "spot replacements" have more signs going ground-based, including a few on major roads like 84 and 95.

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on June 04, 2014, 12:42:21 PM
I take it all BGSs are going overhead?

That is correct.  Current MassDOT policy is that all principal BGSes on Interstates and freeways are to be mounted overhead, even if the roadway is only two lanes each way.  The reason for this is that the initial costs of overhead mounting are offset by the improved sign visibility, and because eventual clearing and grubbing of roadside brush (which in MA requires at least a basic level of environmental impact review - sometimes including local conservation commission approval) is not needed.

QuoteStill find it funny that ConnDOT is doing the exact opposite.   Their latest "spot replacements" have more signs going ground-based, including a few on major roads like 84 and 95.

A number of ConnDOTs current signing practices remind me of that phrase
Quotepenny wise and pound foolish
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.