Why does the NYS Thruway not sign for Rochester and Syracuse?

Started by James, August 26, 2022, 10:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 12:44:12 PMBut it's PA and you know how they sign control cities most of the time.

I-80 isn't most of the time. I-80 puts them in a tough spot because it doesn't serve any major cities, but most of their other control cities are fine.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on February 22, 2023, 02:44:15 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 12:44:12 PMBut it's PA and you know how they sign control cities most of the time.

I-80 isn't most of the time. I-80 puts them in a tough spot because it doesn't serve any major cities, but most of their other control cities are fine.
Hazelton, Carlisle, New Stanton, Washington, Milford...
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

As an out-of-stater but with a fairly good grasp of geography, I know where Buffalo, Albany and New York are. I have a general idea that Rochester and Syracuse are somewhere east of Buffalo, but I'm not sure how far east nor do I always remember which comes first. As far as anything in the Hudson Valley between NYC and Albany, forget knowing where anything really is.

I'd bet it would be like someone from New York or Mass knowing that there are cities in Michigan named Battle Creek and Kalamazoo, and that maybe they'd know they were between Detroit and Chicago, but they couldn't really place them given a blank map.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on February 22, 2023, 04:05:48 PM
As an out-of-stater but with a fairly good grasp of geography, I know where Buffalo, Albany and New York are. I have a general idea that Rochester and Syracuse are somewhere east of Buffalo, but I'm not sure how far east nor do I always remember which comes first. As far as anything in the Hudson Valley between NYC and Albany, forget knowing where anything really is.

I'd bet it would be like someone from New York or Mass knowing that there are cities in Michigan named Battle Creek and Kalamazoo, and that maybe they'd know they were between Detroit and Chicago, but they couldn't really place them given a blank map.
Syracuse is twice the size of Kalamazoo and it has a major university. (Sorry WMU, you don't count as major). It also has over half a million in metro population, Kalamazoo is only about 200K. Rocheste is even bigger than Syracuse. Battle Creek is smaller than even Utica.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 04:09:23 PM

Syracuse is twice the size of Kalamazoo and it has a major university. (Sorry WMU, you don't count as major). It also has over half a million in metro population, Kalamazoo is only about 200K. Rocheste is even bigger than Syracuse. Battle Creek is smaller than even Utica.
I don't see what the difference is. They are all major cities in their respective states. Western Michigan is a pretty major university btw.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 04:34:52 PM

I don't see what the difference is. They are all major cities in their respective states. Western Michigan is a pretty major university btw.
I'm saying that for outsiders not from Upstate NY or Michigan, Rochester/Syracuse are probably better known than Kalamazoo/Battle Creek due to being much bigger cities.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 04:38:15 PM

I'm saying that for outsiders not from Upstate NY or Michigan, Rochester/Syracuse are probably better known than Kalamazoo/Battle Creek due to being much bigger cities.
I don't know about that. Kalamazoo and Battle Creek are both pretty well known cities. I guess it depends on what you are thinking of.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 04:45:28 PM

I don't know about that. Kalamazoo and Battle Creek are both pretty well known cities. I guess it depends on what you are thinking of.
What is special about Battle Creek exactly? Even Utica is bigger than Battle Creek.

MATraveler128

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 04:47:43 PM

What is special about Battle Creek exactly? Even Utica is bigger than Battle Creek.

Battle Creek is home to Kellogg's cereal and they also have an x94 there.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

hotdogPi

Bedford MA is home to iRobot. It doesn't warrant a control city on I-95.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 22, 2023, 04:48:48 PM

Battle Creek is home to Kellogg's cereal and they also have an x94 there.
Got it, I knew there was something special about the city that I was forgetting. For normal people, the x94 would not be relevent. Kingston NY also has a 3 digit interstate and nobody cares about Kingston.

Flint1979

Oh let's see it's the home of Kellogg's, the founding city of Post both breakfast cereals for one thing. It's a decent sized city. As far as control cities though Kalamazoo should be used over it on I-94. Like I said earlier though using Chicago is no big deal.

Rothman

Battle Creek isn't well-known.  Kalamazoo is just a funny name.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 04:50:10 PM
Really though Bedford is just a random place in a mixture of other suburbs around Boston where other cities should be used. I'm not the one saying that Battle Creek should be a control city though, I'd go for Kalamazoo and Jackson in that spot. Kalamazoo is the junction with US-131 and Jackson is the junction with US-127 both major freeways.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2023, 04:54:21 PM
Battle Creek is pretty well known in the Great Lakes region especially in Michigan.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 04:55:53 PM
Really though Bedford is just a random place in a mixture of other suburbs around Boston where other cities should be used. I'm not the one saying that Battle Creek should be a control city though, I'd go for Kalamazoo and Jackson in that spot. Kalamazoo is the junction with US-131 and Jackson is the junction with US-127 both major freeways.
Kalazmazoo maybe, Jackson should absolutly not be a control city.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 05:00:25 PM
Jackson is fine as a control city and it is used as a control city on I-94.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 05:07:50 PM
I'd rather have Battle Creek than Jackson.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 05:11:39 PM
Why? If you're heading EB you are already past Battle Creek when you are heading toward Jackson, if you're east of Jackson then Battle Creek is too far for local traffic when Jackson comes way before it. Jackson and Marshall are used due to being at highway junctions. It seems like everyone tries to discredit a city for being at a highway junction being used for a control city.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 05:20:36 PM
Why? If you're heading EB you are already past Battle Creek when you are heading toward Jackson, if you're east of Jackson then Battle Creek is too far for local traffic when Jackson comes way before it. Jackson and Marshall are used due to being at highway junctions. It seems like everyone tries to discredit a city for being at a highway junction being used for a control city.
Looking at the map though it does look like Jackson makes a bit of sense. Would prefer just using Kalamazoo though if you need something in between Chicago and Detroit.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 04:57:12 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2023, 04:54:21 PM
Battle Creek is pretty well known in the Great Lakes region especially in Michigan.
Ok.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 05:32:18 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 05:20:36 PM
Looking at the map though it does look like Jackson makes a bit of sense. Would prefer just using Kalamazoo though if you need something in between Chicago and Detroit.
Well if you were only going to use one city between Chicago and Detroit then Kalamazoo would be it. It's the halfway point between the two cities and is large enough to be a control city. I'm not sure if using Kalamazoo in Chicago would be the right choice though, they could stick with Indiana like they already have, then perhaps INDOT and MDOT could use Kalamazoo on I-94 after the split from I-80. Between Chicago and the I-94/80 split in Lake Station I think South Bend would be the proper choice. And going north from Chicago it should be Milwaukee not Wisconsin.

kalvado

Since NY population is twice that of Michigan, that ends up as regionally comparable cities...

hotdogPi

Quote from: kalvado on February 22, 2023, 05:41:24 PM

Since NY population is twice that of Michigan, that ends up as regionally comparable cities...

Why does it matter whether New York City, almost 200 miles away, is there as opposed to being somehow absent or being in New Jersey (in which case Michigan and New York would have similar populations)?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kalvado on February 22, 2023, 05:41:24 PM

Upstate New York is kind of like its own state. About as much connection between Syracuse and NYC as Kalamazoo and Chicago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.