News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 95 signing work

Started by roadman, March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurdueBill

With MassPike being part of MassDOT now, I would speculate that the control cities on future signs would be the same as for entrances from other intersecting highways, maybe with the more distant ones for the signage on the Pike and two control cities per direction on the signs at the ramp splits, if there is room.  For I-95/128, I could see Providence and Portsmouth becoming the control cities--although neither are in Mass and I don't know how many drivers are going to be headed toward those cities, especially Providence if they could have gotten there via 495 or 146 from the west or down 93/3 to 95 from Boston.  Only those joining the Pike relatively close to its intersection with 128 would take the Pike to 128 to head toward Providence.  Portsmouth is somewhat less of an issue that way.

As I recall, they have NH-Maine and South Shore for eastbound, and Waltham and Dedham westbound.  I could see Dedham staying with Providence for the distant SB control city, and something like Waltham or Peabody and Portsmouth for NB.  Peabody has been a NB control city dating back to the amazing indestructible pull-through in Lexington that was mentioned above, where it was accompanied by NH-Maine.  Waltham and Dedham seem to be the closer control cities of choice for the previous generation of nearby signs, with Peabody taking over just north of there, probably because that's where I-95 leaves 128.  (My past affiliation with Peabody also biases me toward its inclusion.)

I-95 probably could get by with Portland/Augusta instead of To All Maine Points.  

PurdueBill

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 11, 2012, 10:12:08 PM
It appears that "Maine Points" (along with "NH Lakes" and "White Mts") managed to make it onto this relatively recent sign:

Oy, why is NH including "NH" in the control city of Portsmouth?  At this point you are so close to Portsmouth, never mind being in the same state, that it just looks bizarre there!

Lakes and Mountains seem excusable because that's where a lot of folks are headed, especially tourists.  If the split happened closer to Hampton, they could have included Beaches on the right for a recreational full house!

KEVIN_224

That looks to be in the area of Exit 3. That may actually be IN Portsmouth itself, near the Greenland town line.

Ian

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 11, 2012, 10:23:03 PM
Oy, why is NH including "NH" in the control city of Portsmouth?  At this point you are so close to Portsmouth, never mind being in the same state, that it just looks bizarre there!

I wondered this as well when I first saw it. I believe the "NH" is there because of the "Maine Points" underneath, so people won't misread it to say that Portsmouth is in Maine.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on March 11, 2012, 05:54:58 PMAnd I still miss the I-95 Mass control point of "NH-MAINE".  I remember signs on I-95 NB approaching "128" which had control points for I-95 as "DEDHAM / NH-MAINE", with a 128 shield displayed prominently right next to the I-95 shield on the same overhead sign.  Now if you want NH-MAINE control points, you gotta go to the Mass Pike.  
That older sign (erected circa 1977) you're referring to actually read "95 NORTH - Dedham - NH-Maine".  There was no MA 128 shield on the signboard itself, only ground-mounted trailblazer signs.

The original 60s era signage at that interchange, for obvious reasons, had 128 shields w/button-copy lettering.  IIRC, the old sign originally read "128 NORTH - Dedham"

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 11, 2012, 10:20:47 PMPeabody has been a NB control city dating back to the amazing indestructible pull-through in Lexington that was mentioned above, where it was accompanied by NH-Maine.  Waltham and Dedham seem to be the closer control cities of choice for the previous generation of nearby signs, with Peabody taking over just north of there, probably because that's where I-95 leaves 128.  (My past affiliation with Peabody also biases me toward its inclusion.)
Yes & no.  In the Lexington area "Peabody" was the northbound control city since that sign was erected in the early 80s.  Prior to that, there was a 60s era northbound pull-through sign mounted on a train trestle near the MA 4/225 interchange that read "128 NORTH - Burlington - Gloucester" (said-train trestle still has slight traces of the old mounting brackets that once held the 3 signs (pull-through and the 2 exit signs)) and the old pull-through signage at MA 2A was the old (possibly original) 50s era All-Caps Button-copy that read "128 - TO RTE. 1 - NO. SHORE".

In the area between US 3 South/MA 3A North and I-93; "Peabody" was used as either the solo or 1st control destination for Route 128 since the early 70s; prior to the I-95 designation.

IIRC and unless there was a recent change, signage at the entrance ramp to I-95 North (& US 3 South) at Middlesex Pike (Burlington Mall) still uses "Woburn" as I-95's 1st control destination.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 12, 2012, 08:18:12 AM
That older sign (erected circa 1977)

how do you know the exact or near-exact years that the signs went up?  was it personal observation (wasn't there yesterday, is there today) combined with a sharp memory ... or is there some kind of log that I can access?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman

IIRC and unless there was a recent change, signage at the entrance ramp to I-95 North (& US 3 South) at Middlesex Pike (Burlington Mall) still uses "Woburn" as I-95's 1st control destination.

As part of the recently completed I-95 Lexington to Reading sign work, the I-95 northbound control city on these signs was changed from Woburn to Peabody.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 12, 2012, 11:07:28 AM
That older sign (erected circa 1977)

how do you know the exact or near-exact years that the signs went up?  was it personal observation (wasn't there yesterday, is there today) combined with a sharp memory ... or is there some kind of log that I can access?
A combination of personal observation and memory.  I was riding with my father from Marblehead to Providence that summer (I was 11 at the time) and I saw the then-brand new signs at that interchange.

I first saw the fore-mentioned old 128 signage near the 2A interchange (Exit 30/old Exit 45) while riding with my father back in 1973-74.  

My first actual road/highway sign recognition came about in 1972 (I was 6 at the time) was when I was riding on a bus along the old (pre-1974 alteration) of I-95 from US 1 (Danvers/Topsfield) to the Topsfield Road interchange en route to/from a day-camp located in Boxford.  During the 4 years I went to that camp, I saw that stretch of I-95 totally transform into what it is today.

Quote from: roadman on March 12, 2012, 12:01:35 PMAs part of the recently completed I-95 Lexington to Reading sign work, the I-95 northbound control city on these signs was changed from Woburn to Peabody.
Thanks for the update.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

PhlBos's "circa 1977" timeline regarding the replacement of signs on I-95 northbound at MA 128 in Canton is accurate.

After the Southwest Expressway project was formally cancelled and the I-95 designation offically shifted to MA 128 in early 1975, one of the first projects MassDPW undertook in the Canton area was to replace the MA 128 north (now I-93 south) to I-95 south cloverleaf ramp with the current trumpet ramp connection.  This eliminated a hazardous weave between traffic entering from I-95 north onto I-95 north (old MA 128) and traffic exiting onto I-95 south.

This roadway work was completed by the late spring of 1976.  I vividly recall that our junior high class trip to Rocky World Amusement Park at the time used the new ramp, which had just been opened to traffic.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 12, 2012, 05:37:00 PM
A combination of personal observation and memory.

I wish my memory were that detailed.  

the only thing I remember distinctly is in 1986 or so when I first started paying attention, Massachusetts didn't have many state-named interstate shields, while all the surrounding states did.  this includes NH and RI, which are very, very tough finds today - nowadays comparable to MA!

there was also an I-86 shield at the Sturbridge exit off I-84 - at the time, I had assimilated it into my memory that the route to New York City was I-90 to I-86 to I-84 to I-684.

jake@aaroads.com

roadman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 13, 2012, 12:27:25 PM

there was also an I-86 shield at the Sturbridge exit off I-84 - at the time, I had assimilated it into my memory that the route to New York City was I-90 to I-86 to I-84 to I-684.

Before the I-86 designation was changed to I-84 in 1985, the signs on the MassPike for the Sturbridge exit had I-86 and Route 15 shields.  When the roadway became I-84 for the final time, the shields on the signs were changed to I-84 and US 20.  This was carried over to the current signs, which were installed in 1995.

Also, I-86 between Sturbridge and Hartford was originally signed as an east-west route.  When the signs were changed to I-84, West was overlaid with South.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman on March 13, 2012, 01:00:07 PM

Before the I-86 designation was changed to I-84 in 1985, the signs on the MassPike for the Sturbridge exit had I-86 and Route 15 shields.  When the roadway became I-84 for the final time, the shields on the signs were changed to I-84 and US 20.  This was carried over to the current signs, which were installed in 1995.

Also, I-86 between Sturbridge and Hartford was originally signed as an east-west route.  When the signs were changed to I-84, West was overlaid with South.

as of February 2010, some of the arrows and banners at that Sturbridge exit look well older than 1995, and likely even 1986.  I think they date back to the original signing, and were at one point paired with I-86 shields. 

jake@aaroads.com

roadman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 13, 2012, 01:07:06 PM

as of February 2010, some of the arrows and banners at that Sturbridge exit look well older than 1995, and likely even 1986.  I think they date back to the original signing, and were at one point paired with I-86 shields. 

You are likely correct.   I've noticed that there are existing route assemblies at this interchange that don't show up on the plans I've found for either the 1995 MassPike sign project or the 2003 MassHighway I-84 Sturbridge to Holland sign project.  Generally with large sign renewal projects of this type, if something isn't shown on the plans as to be replaced, it normally doesn't get removed at all (unless there's a general "remove unless otherwise indicated" note on the plans).

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PMMassDOT opened bids on a project to replace the guide signs on Interstate 95 (MA Route 128) between Route 9 in Wellesley and Routes 4/225 in Lexington.
Will this project also replace the I-95 exit signs along MA 2 (Exit 29A-B) as well?  IIRC, that's the only location in that area that uses "Attleboro" for a I-95 South control destination.

The first I-95 South signs (circa early 1980s) at that interchange used "Braintree" as a control destination. 
The original 128 South signs from the 1950s used "SOUTH SHORE" and/or "TO RTE. 9 - SOUTH SHORE".
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 13, 2012, 07:22:07 PM
Quote from: roadman on March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PMMassDOT opened bids on a project to replace the guide signs on Interstate 95 (MA Route 128) between Route 9 in Wellesley and Routes 4/225 in Lexington.
Will this project also replace the I-95 exit signs along MA 2 (Exit 29A-B) as well?  IIRC, that's the only location in that area that uses "Attleboro" for a I-95 South control destination.

The first I-95 South signs (circa early 1980s) at that interchange used "Braintree" as a control destination. 
The original 128 South signs from the 1950s used "SOUTH SHORE" and/or "TO RTE. 9 - SOUTH SHORE".

The signs on Route 2 at I-95 were recently replaced with new signs (using Attleboro as the southbound control city) as part of the just completed Route 2 Lincoln to Arlington sign update project.  Not sure of the rationale for not changing it to Providence RI when the signs were updated, however.

Although it doesn't appear on their latest 'official' list (2001?) of control cities, Attleboro has been accepted by both AASHTO and FHWA for use as a southbound control city for I-95 (as an alternative to Providence RI) in Massachusetts since the early 1990s.

deathtopumpkins

Reviving this thread with a news article I just stumbled on...

http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view/20220530states_all_signed_up_dot_splurges_45m_on_route_128/srvc=home&position=2

Signage on 13 miles of I-95 / Route 128 from Newton to Lexington will be replaced this summer, which includes most of the oldest signs left on 128.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

PHLBOS

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 30, 2012, 01:21:56 AM
Signage on 13 miles of I-95 / Route 128 from Newton to Lexington will be replaced this summer, which includes most of the oldest signs left on 128.
Some of the oldest guidance signs remaining along 128 are the exit signs for Endicott St. (Exit 24) in Danvers... at least the northbound signs.  Those are clearly of the 1977-vintage.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 31, 2012, 07:52:21 AM
Some of the oldest guidance signs remaining along 128 are the exit signs for Endicott St. (Exit 24) in Danvers... at least the northbound signs.  Those are clearly of the 1977-vintage.

Those signs are scheduled to be replaced within a year as part of a larger roadway reconstruction and geometric improvement project on Route 128 between Route 114 in Peabody and Route 62 in Beverly.

And the Herald article once again demonstrates one of my pet peeves - referring to Interstate 95 as "Route 128".  The highway designation was changed to I-95 only 38 years ago.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: roadman on May 31, 2012, 10:18:27 AM
And the Herald article once again demonstrates one of my pet peeves - referring to Interstate 95 as "Route 128".  The highway designation was changed to I-95 only 38 years ago.

Admittedly though it was 128 for quite a while beforehand, was cosigned with 95 for a while, still exists on paper (and many signs), and has gained a significant status in Boston culture.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NE2

Kind of like referring to I-495 as the Beltway.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 31, 2012, 07:52:21 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 30, 2012, 01:21:56 AM

That is what is so strange about the replacement projects further south on 128--they have been replacing signs installed in the early 90s but the signs on 128 in Peabody and Danvers (and possibly some north of there in Beverly) date back to the 1970s.  If it was all about replacing signs that are worn out and no longer reflective, the Peabody-Danvers signs would have been replaced a long time ago.

DBrim

I live in the 1 corridor of Danvers, and not the 128 corridor, so I don't take 128 very often.  Last time I did drive through there, though, 128 looked like they were doing some fairly intense construction.  I wonder if they'd replace the signs as a result of the ongoing projects in the area.

PHLBOS

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 31, 2012, 10:40:10 AM
Quote from: roadman on May 31, 2012, 10:18:27 AM
Admittedly though it was 128 for quite a while beforehand, was cosigned with 95 for a while, still exists on paper (and many signs), and has gained a significant status in Boston culture.
You're fighting a losing battle.  Just about every Boston area newscaster, traffic reporter and the like still refer to the Interstate-occupied section of 128 as just 128.  The I-93 section is more problematic since all the 128 trailblazer signs are long gone and 93 runs directionally opposite of 128 (north is south & south is north). 

While I was in the Greater Boston area this past weekend, I heard traffic reports on both WBZ (AM 1030) and Sirrius/XM 132 reporting an accident located along I-93 North at MA 37 (EXIT 6) as 128 South.

The 128 identity for the Interstate-occupied stretches had been a hard one to break for decades.  The 80s high-tech boom (I remember the old blue 128 AMERICA'S TECHNOLOGY HIGHWAY, later REGION signs), car dealerships in Wakefield (128 Ford, Honda, Mazda, etc.) even an Amtrak/MBTA station in Westwood were either built upon the 128 moniker or have 128 in its name.

Had the road just been referred to by its street name, Yankee Division Highway (New Yorkers might've called it the YDH); the route number changes would've largely went unnoticed and the old number would've been quietly discarded.  Case & point: most lay people identify the Southeast Expressway as I-93 (as opposed to Route 3) and have done so since the late 70s/early 80s.

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 31, 2012, 11:26:22 AMThat is what is so strange about the replacement projects further south on 128--they have been replacing signs installed in the early 90s but the signs on 128 in Peabody and Danvers (and possibly some north of there in Beverly) date back to the 1970s.  If it was all about replacing signs that are worn out and no longer reflective, the Peabody-Danvers signs would have been replaced a long time ago.
Truth be told, those 1977-vintage Endicott St. signs are in much better condition than the infamous early-80s-vintage I-95 North pull-through sign in Lexington (at MA 2A/Exit 30).

Quote from: DBrim on May 31, 2012, 01:50:44 PM
I live in the 1 corridor of Danvers, and not the 128 corridor, so I don't take 128 very often.  Last time I did drive through there, though, 128 looked like they were doing some fairly intense construction.  I wonder if they'd replace the signs as a result of the ongoing projects in the area.
What part of 128 were you on?  The part of 128 that's still just 128 from I-95 to Endicott St. had no construction activity going on that I could see.

As of last weekend, along I-95 from Weston to Waltham, there's a median barrier project taking place and in the Burlington area, there was some resurfacing going on.

Quote from: roadman on May 31, 2012, 10:18:27 AMThose signs are scheduled to be replaced within a year as part of a larger roadway reconstruction and geometric improvement project on Route 128 between Route 114 in Peabody and Route 62 in Beverly.
What type of geometric improvements will be taking place? 

BTW, the Route 62 exit (#22) is actually located in Danvers not Beverly; MA 1A (Exit 20) is the westernmost interchange located in Beverly.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 31, 2012, 03:43:28 PM
You're fighting a losing battle.  Just about every Boston area newscaster, traffic reporter and the like still refer to the Interstate-occupied section of 128 as just 128.

...and it's not just they.  The general population refers to it as 128.  I think it's because in a sense 128 "belongs" to them, whereas I-95 is "just passing through."

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 31, 2012, 03:43:28 PMThe I-93 section is more problematic since all the 128 trailblazer signs are long gone and 93 runs directionally opposite of 128 (north is south & south is north).

More problematic, perhaps, but that stretch between the 95-93 junction in Canton and the "Braintree Split" is also still referred to as 128 by the natives, even though there are clear signs at the 95-93 junction stating "END 128" (southbound) or "BEGIN 128" (northbound).

But such attitudes are hardly unique to Boston.  You won't find any native New Yorker who refers to Avenue of the Americas as anything but Sixth Avenue.  Time will tell if "RFK Bridge" or "Ed Koch Bridge" take hold, but so far, judging by what I've seen and heard, common usage is still Triborough and Queensborough (or 59th Street).
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

Quote from: NE2 on May 31, 2012, 10:48:34 AM
Kind of like referring to I-495 as the Beltway.
That one's a bit different because the street name for that highway is indeed the Capital Beltway.

Quote from: SidS1045 on May 31, 2012, 11:10:27 PMBut such attitudes are hardly unique to Boston.  You won't find any native New Yorker who refers to Avenue of the Americas as anything but Sixth Avenue.  Time will tell if "RFK Bridge" or "Ed Koch Bridge" take hold, but so far, judging by what I've seen and heard, common usage is still Triborough and Queensborough (or 59th Street).
Conversely, in Philly, most have embraced Kelly Drive and the recently-renamed Martin Luther King Drive names over the original East River & West River Drive names.  Many younger folks don't know that JFK Blvd. was originally named Pennsylvania Blvd.

Do people in Pittsburgh still refer to the Roberto Clemente Bridge as the 6th Street Bridge?

Back in Boston, many people quickly adapted to calling the Mystic (River) Bridge the (Maurice J.) Tobin Bridge although some reporters refer to it as the Mystic/Tobin Bridge.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.