News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 07:06:45 AM
Quote from: vdeane on May 03, 2024, 10:05:38 PMnot for Google to try to "personalize" my experience.

Google won't personalize your experience if you turn the personalization options off. When I go to the base youtube.com page, it tells me my watch history is off instead of suggesting videos, As for ads on various websites, it very frequently serves me ads outside by age demographic, and I've gotten a few for bras despite being male.
Traffic Control / Re: Here to There Photo Game
Last post by formulanone - Today at 06:26:06 AM
US 98 to Daphne, Alabama (both 90 and 98 are in the city limits):

Mid-South / Re: I-10 expansion between San...
Last post by Anthony_JK - Today at 05:46:42 AM
Found this link to TxDOT which includes the schematics:

https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/yoakum/archive/092518.html 

General Highway Talk / Re: "Highways" that are actual...
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 04:08:22 AM
Route Penney in Québec City. Street View
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 04:00:12 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 03:53:32 AMI bet if you created a YouTube clone that paid a higher percentage of ad revenue to uploaders and wasn't so fascist about demonetizing videos, you could get enough of the big name creators to jump ship that YouTube would go under.
I feel the need to mention Kick, which is more of an alternative to Twitch, being a racist hellhole because of its lax moderation. Not that lax moderation is bad, but there is a need for a middle ground between being lax and fascism, and as a result the alternatives that pop up don't get far because of that.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 03:53:32 AM
I bet if you created a YouTube clone that paid a higher percentage of ad revenue to uploaders and wasn't so fascist about demonetizing videos, you could get enough of the big name creators to jump ship that YouTube would go under.
Northeast / Re: NYC Roads
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 02:15:00 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2024, 11:19:56 PM
Quote from: TheDon102 on May 03, 2024, 10:26:32 PMSomething I dont see talked about here is how NYCDOT has been on a mission removing car lanes from the avenues and the major east-west thoroughfares in Manhattan. They have created a lot of congestion themselves (yes congestion existed before NYCDOT reimagined NYC Streets but it has gotten worse). The remedy to this artificially inflated congestion is to punish drivers by charging them a +$15 toll to enter Manhattan's CBD. In addition trucks will pay much larger tolls thereby increasing prices on food and other commodities. Obviously most NYC residents use public transit, however NYC residents rely on trucks to deliver food to various local businesses.

I just drove around Manhattan without much issue a few weeks ago.  I find your description to be an exaggeration.
I'm shocked that you would have this opinion.
Quote from: pderocco on Today at 12:41:23 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 03, 2024, 02:19:44 PMSepulveda BLVD through the Sepulveda Pass should have been addressed as well. It should be 3 lanes each way with protected bike lanes and sidewalks. Instead there are sections with no pedestrian footpaths. It's very dangerous to ride a bike on it. It is only two lanes each way and can get extremely congested, and has a bottleneck at the tunnel where it narrows to 3 lanes.
I've driven that a thousand times, and I don't think I've ever seen a pedestrian on it (except around the Getty). I rarely see bikes on it, either, although I suspect that the steepness would still be the limiting factor even if they added protected lanes.
I wouldn't exactly refer to it as Times Square. But I've certainly seen people walking on it. And I see bikes often on the weekends. I think this is a case of build it and they will come given there are virtually no alternatives.

Same thing with the Cahuenga Pass. When I was without a car and I lived off of barham, I had to take my bike and I was playing with my life. Of course there was the red line.
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 01, 2023, 11:32:24 AMHi, everyone!  October is here... so we're down to only three more months of 2023.  I figured I would, once again, create and maintain a list of road meets for this next calendar year.

For those of us who are on Facebook, a new group called Road Meets was created over the past week in which folks are welcome to share anything related to road meets of the past and future.  I'd like to give a shout out to Gribblenation, Tom Fearer, Doug Kerr, and Dan Murphy for serving as admins of that group.  Thank you for doing that!  :)  Here's the link to that group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/836455994788814

Even though we now have the Road Meets group on Facebook, I still think we need to keep a list of meets on this forum for multiple reasons.  Mainly, I'm thinking of the folks in our community who are not on Facebook.  I'll be monitoring the Facebook group as well as this forum to keep this list up to date as best as I can for 2024.

Here are the potential meets I'm aware of so far for 2024:
  • New Orleans LA "national meet" - February 17-18
  • Atlanta GA "mini meet" - March 2
  • Bakersfield CA - April 13
  • Charlotte NC "city meet" (choose your own sightseeing) - April 20
  • Salem OR (?) - April 28
  • Southwest Pennsylvania (25-year anniversary meet - "SWPA25") - May 4
  • Meadville PA - June 15
  • Indianapolis IN - June 29 CANCELED
  • Michigan City IN - July 20
  • Berkeley Springs WV (MD/PA/VA/WV Quad State meet) - August 17
  • Reno / Carson City NV - September 21
  • Orlando FL - October 5
  • Duluth MN (?) - October 27
  • Brattleboro VT (?) - October or November
  • Austin TX - November 2
  • Milton DE Route 1/16 (?) - TBD

I think this captures all the tentative meets I've heard about so far.  If I've forgotten anything or if anyone is thinking of hosting a meet in 2024 that they haven't shared yet (and you're ready to share), please chime in and I will update the list accordingly.

I'm looking forward to our next year of road meets!

The Indy meet has since been cancelled...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.